U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
    There i no way but the rumor mill said IL could start playing next year. Maybe an announcement by next year but I don't believe the school can start playing D1 next year.
    No problem. Just make sure one of the Alaska schools drops hockey after this year due to budget cuts and then transfer those players to Illinois.

Seriously, it would be possible, but Illinois would need to commit and act soon. Basically you take your club team and add a few decent players that have been overlooked or are unhappy with playing time. Schedule a season of mostly exhibitions against Canadian, D-3, club teams, and maybe even a few D-1 teams. The goal would be to move to a mostly D1 schedule the following year.

Comment

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Highly unlikely that Illinois is playing D-I hockey year. Even if they find the money, coaches, players and every other detail of putting a team together, who are they going to play? D-I teams typically have their schedules set years in advance. Unless an Alaska school folds and creates a huge hold in the WCHA schedule they would be lucky to get even a handful of D-I games. A D-I team isn't going to create itself in 13 months. If anything is happening next year, regardless of what they want to call it, it will be club hockey, maybe with a more challenging schedule.
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
        No problem. Just make sure one of the Alaska schools drops hockey after this year due to budget cuts and then transfer those players to Illinois.

Seriously, it would be possible, but Illinois would need to commit and act soon. Basically you take your club team and add a few decent players that have been overlooked or are unhappy with playing time. Schedule a season of mostly exhibitions against Canadian, D-3, club teams, and maybe even a few D-1 teams. The goal would be to move to a mostly D1 schedule the following year.
        PSU and ASU model. By year three they are competitive.
        Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
        dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
        wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Jimmy John founder sells restaurant chain...

A Pegula-esque move coming next for U of I?
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Jimmy John founder sells restaurant chain...

A Pegula-esque move coming next for U of I?
            Is there any evidence this guy is even a hockey fan?

This dude attended EASTERN Illinois University for less than one semester. I know he has a sandwich shop or two next to the University of Illinois, but still I gotta think a donation for the Big Game Hunting Club at Eastern Illinois might happen before a hockey donation at Illinois.

All this said, I do think Illinois will be announcing plans for a D1 hockey team soon, but I don’t think they are holding their breath waiting for Jimmy John to make it happen.
            Last edited by altazo; 09-25-2019, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              ...A Pegula-esque move coming next for U of I?
              Not only does this guy not have any direct ties to Illinois, he also does not appear to be anywhere close to Mr. Pegula's level in the philanthropy universe. So as someone else already said, don't hold your breath.
              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                Not only does this guy not have any direct ties to Illinois, he also does not appear to be anywhere close to Mr. Pegula's level in the philanthropy universe. So as someone else already said, don't hold your breath.
                There's more of a chance Tony Romo would fund something like at this at Eastern than JJ...at least Tony made it through more than one semester. So yeah, not happening.

Comment

Maybe the Big10 conference can bankroll the Illinois hockey team like the NHL propped up the Coyotes?
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    Maybe the Big10 conference can bankroll the Illinois hockey team like the NHL propped up the Coyotes?
                    I'll finish my MSW, get licensed, get married, and settle down before Illinois has a hockey team.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Hey, I'll go one better: The Minnesota Wild will win a Cup before Illinois has a hockey team.
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        Hey, I'll go one better: The Minnesota Wild will win a Cup before Illinois has a hockey team.
                        Settle down. That's just crazy talk.

I think the University of Mazatlán will have D1 hockey before the Wild win a Cup.

Comment

• Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

I think the University of Mazatlán will have D1 hockey before the Wild win a Cup.
                          Much as I love both players and they have never been bad since joining the Wild, Suter and Parise need to be off the books before the Wild can be good.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post

The University of Mazatlan will win a DI hockey NC before Illinois has a team.
                            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

But hey, at last check, Illinois was "in the red zone, on a breakaway, taking it hard to the hole."

Comment

Because no schools have added D1 hockey lately....

Comment

Working...
                                X