Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
    Just what we need, another b10 school that Wisconsin and Minnesota fanbases couldn’t care less about. Ugh
    Too bad their campus is not a bit closer to Chicago. But it's not an insurmountable road trip from Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      It looks like hockey will be a go but I'm guessing they are waiting to see who will pay for the $100 million arena...
      Shocker.
      "Great news [INSERT SCHOOL NAME] fans! We are going forward with our plans and will be adding a men's D-I hockey program as soon as possible. Currently we are just waiting for someone to step forward with a $100M gift so we can proceed..."
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

My take on the article from Whitman is that they are still fishing for a large donor. Seems like that they have had people answering their calls, but when it comes down to it, U of I is asking for a $20m donation and are being told a "Well, I can't do that, but here's $5m." kind of deal. So they're making progress, but still lacking in a key area...

At this point there is too much smoke for there to not be fire... It's just a matter of how long it'll smolder before full on igniting....
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
          My take on the article from Whitman is that they are still fishing for a large donor. Seems like that they have had people answering their calls, but when it comes down to it, U of I is asking for a $20m donation and are being told a "Well, I can't do that, but here's $5m." kind of deal. So they're making progress, but still lacking in a key area...

At this point there is too much smoke for there to not be fire... It's just a matter of how long it'll smolder before full on igniting....
          For some that's not good enough. UI is clearly serious about getting there and making every effort to make it happen. Having enthusiasm, and publicizing the progress in hopes of garnering interest must be met with skepticism and ridicule every step of the way.

Some people's children.

Comment

Fox Development holding out hope for its hockey-based proposal

This article from March 2018 explains why UI has been cautious.
            Last edited by 4four4; 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM.
            Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
            dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
            wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Hockey at Illinois would be a win-win for Illini, Big Ten Conference
              Pioneer Press

This articles says what the last two hurdles are before the eventual announcement.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  So, We've got $80 million in donations, but just need $20 million more. After that, easy-peazy
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Chicago Tribune: "llinois is in ‘the red zone’ for adding a Division I hockey..."

You can't tell at all that the Tribune only focuses on the Bears. Sort of like in the Minnesota papers when the Vikings missed that chip shot field goal in the playoffs "from just outside the crease..."

The AD at Illinois' could really help fund raising if he would at least "talk hockey" when trying to get a program going. I don't think "If we were on a 100-yard field, we’re in the red zone. We’re driving in..." really speaks to hockey fans...

But hey, hats off for the progress they have made so far. Just a few months ago, this concept was not looking good "from way downtown" and then "bang!" now they're "in the red zone..." Clearly Illinois has "gone hard to the hole" and is "taking it right up the gut" to make this hockey team happen. Right now they are "just a bit outside" of their target for fundraising. If they keep "bringing the heat" on potential donors and "leave it all on the field" eventually they are going to "knock it out of the park" and then before you know it... "Boom, goes the dynamite" and we're going to have hockey at another D-I school where hockey is the 16th most popular sport on campus...

Illinois hockey IS going to happen. In fact, at this point, it's a slam dunk (according to the AD anyway...)

University of Illinois Hockey - Inaugural Season Open Tryouts
                    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 08-20-2019, 06:22 PM.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Chicago Tribune: "llinois is in ‘the red zone’ for adding a Division I hockey..."

You can't tell at all that the Tribune only focuses on the Bears. Sort of like in the Minnesota papers when the Vikings missed that chip shot field goal in the playoffs "from just outside the crease..."

The AD at Illinois' could really help fund raising if he would at least "talk hockey" when trying to get a program going. I don't think "If we were on a 100-yard field, we’re in the red zone. We’re driving in..." really speaks to hockey fans...

But hey, hats off for the progress they have made so far. Just a few months ago, this concept was not looking good "from way downtown" and then "bang!" now they're "in the red zone..." Clearly Illinois has "gone hard to the hole" and is "taking it right up the gut" to make this hockey team happen. Right now they are "just a bit outside" of their target for fundraising. If they keep "bringing the heat" on potential donors and "leave it all on the field" eventually they are going to "knock it out of the park" and then before you know it... "Boom, goes the dynamite" and we're going to have hockey at another D-I school where hockey is the 16th most popular sport on campus...

Illinois hockey IS going to happen. In fact, at this point, it's a slam dunk (according to the AD anyway...)

Well done!

Comment

I found it rather ******y.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          To be fair, they're also trying to elevate their football program to D1 at the same time and probably mixed up the notecards...
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Mike Eidelbes tweeted, "Don't let Lovie Smith call the next play."
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

love the picture!
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

There i no way but the rumor mill said IL could start playing next year. Maybe an announcement by next year but I don't believe the school can start playing D1 next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X