U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Because after a decade of not being able to do this, the money finally shook loose during a massive financial crisis?
    Did someone short any airline stocks? Is Le Chiffre an alum?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

• Re: U of Illinois AD & NHL joint press conference

If anybody is bored here are some old links for this project.

The Yards Concept Design – Subject to Change

‘The Yards’ Downtown Development Clears Hurdle At Champaign City Council Study Session

$200 million project could completely transform Champaign
      Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
      dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
      wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• I would be leery of assuming that people with $200 million to invest two weeks ago still have $200 million to invest.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          I would be leery of assuming that people with $200 million to invest two weeks ago still have $200 million to invest.
          I would agree.

Comment

Sorry Illinois, but Duke University beat you to starting a D1 hockey program......

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/h...t-item-427557/

"After first committing to University of Vermont, Pasichnuk went on an adventure with forward brother Steenn on the start-up NCAA Blue Devils, playing hockey in the desert, "

Comment

• Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
              Sorry Illinois, but Duke University beat you to starting a D1 hockey program......

https://www.thetelegram.com/sports/h...t-item-427557/

"After first committing to University of Vermont, Pasichnuk went on an adventure with forward brother Steenn on the start-up NCAA Blue Devils, playing hockey in the desert, "
              Fredonia has been playing for years, and they are in the far west (of NY).
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Stupid pandemic. Not surprising of course. Whitman, the athletic director still sounds optimistic. But yeah it will be a while longer. The below quotes are just a few key excerpts. The link has the whole article.

‘Short-term pause for hockey’ at Illinois

https://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...c7c92668c.html

“Candidly, we were bracing and preparing for a big announcement as early as next month,” Whitman said Monday. “We felt like we had put everything in the order that we needed. We had all the partners around the table. We had a good, solid plan to move it forward. Then, of course, everything changed.”

“We had some other key partners I think come into line the last several months that gave us a lot of confidence that we were going to be able to move this forward,” Whitman said. “I think that we’re now in the process of reconnecting with all those partners. We’ve had a couple conference calls to see where everybody’s at in light of this new environment. By and large, most people and most organizations remain very comfortable with this new situation.

“There are a couple other entities that are also kind of seeing how this is going to play out in terms of their own financial picture. It made it evident it was wisest for all of us to take a short pause here and make sure each of the different entities remains committed and capable of the support necessary to get it done.”

Comment

Here’s another decent article. Mostly similar info and quotes.

Whitman: Illini 'hit the pause button' on hockey project

https://247sports.com/college/illino...mpression=true
                  Last edited by slowe; 04-20-2020, 03:40 PM.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      No surprise. Hopefully it still happens but I think a lot of schools need to figure out money. It's not even the loss of sports. Schools need to give back housing money and everything for spring semester (which was likely already spent).

Comment

Curious that the CHN article mentions a second school that was ****ed close to doing it as well.

I’m guessing it was Navy.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Curious that the CHN article mentions a second school that was ****ed close to doing it as well.

Navy would make sense from the standpoint of its being the only D1 Service academy without hockey but I live in that general area and haven't heard anything to that effect on the hockey grapevine. Pure speculation on my part but UNLV wouldn't surprise me. Plenty of $$$ (at least until recently), and some acceptable venues relatively close by.

Personally I'd love to see Syracuse or Rhode Island make the jump to fill out Hockey East but I won't hold my breath.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

I'm guessing it's St. Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              I'm guessing it's St. Thomas.
                              If it was UST, I think CHN would have been able to track down a confirm or deny, since the UST D-I issue with hockey has been reported on by other outlets. I would guess it is another program in the West.

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                                Personally I'd love to see Syracuse or Rhode Island make the jump to fill out Hockey East but I won't hold my breath.
                                I think Syracuse would have a Title IX compliance issue if it added men's hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X