Making a Murderer updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Murderer updates

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/14/making-murderer-steven-averys-lawyer-says-victims-ex-boyfriend-killed-her/395317001/

If this has been posted/discussed already I apologize.

But good god, how can the cops not have at least questioned Ryan Hillegas as part of their investigation. Now knowing he outright lied on multiple occasions about being on avery's property, about halbach's vehicle damag etc.

I have very little faith the judge will do the right thing here and call for a retrial. It may take the ACLU or a federal case with regard to Hillegas accessing TH's voicemail without authorization to break this open. Zellner is a hero, but the State of Wisconsin DOJ has decided to circle the wagons and continue to keep Avery behind bars in the grossest interpretation of Kafka's The Trial that we have been made aware of.

Maybe they can get halbach's family to see what really transpired here or get Bloedorn to rat out Hillegas?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Re: Making a Murderer updates

I think we can all agree that WI sucks.
    PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/06/14/making-murderer-steven-averys-lawyer-says-victims-ex-boyfriend-killed-her/395317001/

If this has been posted/discussed already I apologize.

But good god, how can the cops not have at least questioned Ryan Hillegas as part of their investigation. Now knowing he outright lied on multiple occasions about being on avery's property, about halbach's vehicle damag etc.

I have very little faith the judge will do the right thing here and call for a retrial. It may take the ACLU or a federal case with regard to Hillegas accessing TH's voicemail without authorization to break this open. Zellner is a hero, but the State of Wisconsin DOJ has decided to circle the wagons and continue to keep Avery behind bars in the grossest interpretation of Kafka's The Trial that we have been made aware of.

Maybe they can get halbach's family to see what really transpired here or get Bloedorn to rat out Hillegas?
      I said as I watched the series I thought he was the guy. Something about his story didnt stick and the fact that he could get into her phone seemed weird. The defense should have shredded him apart.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        I said as I watched the series I thought he was the guy. Something about his story didnt stick and the fact that he could get into her phone seemed weird. The defense should have shredded him apart.
        Agreed.

After reading Zellner's overview this video becomes more chilling to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GRa7yPDjBzk

And halbach's keeps looking over for reassurance or something. Don't know what that's really about.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I had similar thoughts when I watched it.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

7th circuit rules 2-1 to uphold prior ruling on Dassey, basically overturns the conviction based on a false/coerced confession.

In many respects Ken Kratz's hyperbolic (and entirely fictional) story about rape and torture prejudiced not just the jury pool but many people in the State. BD's false confession helped seal Avery's fate for many.

It would be a delicious irony if this new ruling in Dassey will somehow increase the odds the judge will rule favorably in Zellner's post- conviction motion

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
              I think we can all agree that WI sucks.
              Heyoooo

Comment

Well,...http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/...-trial-w507080

I just don't understand how dumb the Wisconsin AG is.
                Zellner is going to make fools of the WI DOJ and I cannot wait to see that happen.

Comment

http://www.newsweek.com/making-murde...y-691428?amp=1

Comment

**** this is Crazy. It supports the theory that a lot of people had after watching it that either the ex boyfriend and/or Bobby Dassey was involved.

Comment

The problem for Avery, though, is alluded to in the documents filed by his lawyer and linked to in the Newsweek article. It's the problem of timing.

Avery had his trial. I think he also had a number of motions for post-conviction relief that were denied. Then, his current lawyer filed a motion last June, which was denied, and for which she now seeks reconsideration. In each of these cases she has suggested there is "new evidence" that requires a new trial.

The problem always comes about in showing the new evidence. Wasn't there a famous quote or case written by Scalia that talked about this issue? There is no basis for coming in and asking to be let out of jail even if you can prove you are innocent. You actually have to show some sort of technical violation of the process that put you there, or show that science has now developed to the point where evidence that was not available 20 years ago when you were convicted (say, DNA evidence) is available now and shows that you couldn't have done it.

I think unofan said he or his wife does some criminal trial work so I'm sure he can shed more light on the issue, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough for Avery to come in and just show he is innocent.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Well they definitely met the criteria you outlined (new scientific advancements and technical errors specifically as well as incompetent defense).

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          Well they definitely met the criteria you outlined (new scientific advancements and technical errors specifically as well as incompetent defense).
                          Yeah, maybe. I just skimmed the legal motion papers and didn't spend any real time with them. The "new evidence" argument that I recall had to do with some scanning of the bullet, and a question of what that showed. A lot of the rest of the argument was about the claims of ineffective assistance of counsel, including a claim that one set of Avery's lawyers was ineffective for not claiming that Avery's other lawyers were ineffective. It seemed, at least to me, to be grasping a bit. But it'll be interesting to see what happens.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Yeah for sure, the ineffective counsel thing might be a tough burden to overcome and generally is in other cases like this (Adnan Syed). They did bring up a potential Brady violation though as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              The problem for Avery, though, is alluded to in the documents filed by his lawyer and linked to in the Newsweek article. It's the problem of timing.

Avery had his trial. I think he also had a number of motions for post-conviction relief that were denied. Then, his current lawyer filed a motion last June, which was denied, and for which she now seeks reconsideration. In each of these cases she has suggested there is "new evidence" that requires a new trial.

The problem always comes about in showing the new evidence. Wasn't there a famous quote or case written by Scalia that talked about this issue? There is no basis for coming in and asking to be let out of jail even if you can prove you are innocent. You actually have to show some sort of technical violation of the process that put you there, or show that science has now developed to the point where evidence that was not available 20 years ago when you were convicted (say, DNA evidence) is available now and shows that you couldn't have done it.

I think unofan said he or his wife does some criminal trial work so I'm sure he can shed more light on the issue, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough for Avery to come in and just show he is innocent.
                              You mean this quote?

"mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

Yes Scalia believes that just because new evidence comes around that may prove innocence that doesnt mean you should have a right to present said evidence and be freed. (Thomas agrees) Scalia apparently never heard the old adage about letting 100 guilty men go free instead of letting one innocent man go to prison.

Further proof btw that Scalia was scum.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                              X