X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    More fun today.

The latch on the microwave broke. Googled the model and the problem and got a YouTube video on how to fix the problem. Cost $8 for the new latch ($2 part $6 shipping).

Ok EE's now solve this one
    Son has a problem with the GFI or so we thought. Old GFI was acting up, so replaced it.

Threw breaker back on - BOOM and breaker trips. Hmm. Here's what he has
    Breaker 9 15A Square D breaker that is labeled GFI
    Breaker 7 15A Square D breaker that is labeled basement lighting

If breaker 9 is on and breaker 7 is off, I read 124 volts on both lines at the breaker.
    If breaker 7 is on and breaker 9 is off, I read 124 volts on both lines at the breaker.

If both are on, short and they both trip.

Replaced breaker 7. No change. what I need to check tomorrow is turn off breaker 9 and pop it out, but leave the black wire connected. I'll then turn on breaker 7 and see if I read voltage on the black wire for breaker 9. If not, then b9 is bad and old b7 will become replacement b9.

If that doesn't work, it's time to call in the pros.
    First off, what are you testing circuit with? If you are using a digital meter, chances are good you are see ghost voltages as the meter doesn't load the circuit enough. I'd guess you would see those voltages on any turned off breaker in that panel. I'd believe your voltages if you were using an old analog meter, a wiggy or even a test light. If you are using one of those then it does sound like you are backfeeding. Those 2 breakers should be on different phases so it would be a dead short.

Did the breaker trip before you changed GFCI?( I assume by GFI you mean a GFCI receptacle?) If it didn't trip I'd look at what you did when changing recept. Shooting the parts cannon at a problem rarely works, you need to look at what you did.
    Last edited by walrus; 06-26-2017, 04:39 AM.
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      First off, what are you testing circuit with? If you are using a digital meter, chances are good you are see ghost voltages as the meter doesn't load the circuit enough. I'd guess you would see those voltages on any turned off breaker in that panel. I'd believe your voltages if you were using an old analog meter, a wiggy or even a test light. If you are using one of those then it does sound like you are backfeeding. Those 2 breakers should be on different phases so it would be a dead short.

Did the breaker trip before you changed GFCI?( I assume by GFI you mean a GFCI receptacle?) If it didn't trip I'd look at what you did when changing recept. Shooting the parts cannon at a problem rarely works, you need to look at what you did.
      Replaced GFI if Master bath with a Levatron bought at Home depot. Load went to load and line went to line. Black went to black terminals and white went to white. Same guage on both sides.

Stumped. Only wiring done was a separate circuit to new microwave done by a licensed electrician in the spring.

One more test - disconnect gfi and turn on b7. If it still trips, then stumped. If not the new GFI is bad .

Will let you know tonight.

Last night wife declared new project - remove/replace popcorn ceiling in family room and add 6 (or more) potlights. Getting a pro.
      Last edited by joecct; 06-26-2017, 05:34 AM.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Wiring from last spring isn't doing it. If breaker wasn't tripping before your recept change it's pretty good chance you did something wrong there? I have several suggestions but not sure how comfortable you feel doing this stuff. It is a live panel you are in. Stuff can horribly wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Wiring from last spring isn't doing it. If breaker wasn't tripping before your recept change it's pretty good chance you did something wrong there? I have several suggestions but not sure how comfortable you feel doing this stuff. It is a live panel you are in. Stuff can horribly wrong.

I'm OK in a live panel. Change breakers in a live panel. Wazzup?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

I'm OK in a live panel. Change breakers in a live panel. Wazzup?
            I'd unhook receipt and see if breaker trips. I take it's a regular breaker not a gfci?

Comment

Alright, time to get ripped again. Here's the latest story.

Last week the faucet in the kitchen broke. The handle that you pull up and down basically fell off. So, we hired an inexpensive handyman to fix it. He said, yeah, this is easy, no problem. So, he comes over and takes out the old faucet and tries to put the new one in. It doesn't fit. For some reason even though kitchen faucets are standard the holes in the quartz counter top are too small for the faucet we bought as the replacement. There does not appear to be any other sizes available at the Home Depot or Menard's.

So, the Handyman super glues it together and puts it back. Says it could last 10 minutes or 10 years. Who knows? Well, we find out that night that he's a horrible plumber cause something is leaking below the sink. There was no leak before he took it out and put it back in.

So, now the real plumber is coming over to look at it. Supposedly he either has a faucet that will fit OR will determine that no matter what we have to hire a different guy to come out and resize the holes in the quartz countertop.

I'm sure somehow this is all my fault and I'm going to pay way too much.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Replaced GFI if Master bath with a Levatron bought at Home depot. Load went to load and line went to line. Black went to black terminals and white went to white. Same guage on both sides.

Stumped. Only wiring done was a separate circuit to new microwave done by a licensed electrician in the spring.

One more test - disconnect gfi and turn on b7. If it still trips, then stumped. If not the new GFI is bad .

Will let you know tonight.

Last night wife declared new project - remove/replace popcorn ceiling in family room and add 6 (or more) potlights. Getting a pro.
                A bad GFI wouldn't hook the two circuits together. Guessing either something is messed up in the panel, like somehow power is going out on a neutral or something similar, or the circuits are mixed somewhere else. (The former seems unlikely to me, but possible, I've seen things...) If you pull the GFI, does the verizon still come on with either breaker? I'd check to see if the load side is hot as well? Since you have two blacks there you're essentially hooking together, be sure they aren't both energized from a separate circuit. When unhooked, if the breakers don't trip and are on, the line wire should be hot, the load should be dead, the neutrals and ground should be dead, too) If you have power on a wire that shouldn't, it would be a matter of tracing that wire back to where it's messed up. But as Walrus says, don't electrocute yourself! You can get in trouble fast or melt your house if you have no idea what you're doing. Be safe!
                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                Originally posted by Timothy A
                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                  Alright, time to get ripped again. Here's the latest story.

Last week the faucet in the kitchen broke. The handle that you pull up and down basically fell off. So, we hired an inexpensive handyman to fix it. He said, yeah, this is easy, no problem. So, he comes over and takes out the old faucet and tries to put the new one in. It doesn't fit. For some reason even though kitchen faucets are standard the holes in the quartz counter top are too small for the faucet we bought as the replacement. There does not appear to be any other sizes available at the Home Depot or Menard's.

So, the Handyman super glues it together and puts it back. Says it could last 10 minutes or 10 years. Who knows? Well, we find out that night that he's a horrible plumber cause something is leaking below the sink. There was no leak before he took it out and put it back in.

So, now the real plumber is coming over to look at it. Supposedly he either has a faucet that will fit OR will determine that no matter what we have to hire a different guy to come out and resize the holes in the quartz countertop.

I'm sure somehow this is all my fault and I'm going to pay way too much.
                  When you say the holes are "too small" do you mean the spacing is off, or each of the the holes are too small in diameter to fit the fixture through? If it's just the spacing you can get a single hole kitchen faucet that comes with a plate that covers the other holes and you're good.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Somebody screwed up somewhere. The GFI has 2 blacks coming in.

We took it out again and disconnected the top black and white wires and made sure breaker 9 was off.

Top wires were cold. But the bottom black was hot. So what we had was two different circuits supplying power to the same outlet. When we reversed the situation top has hot and bottom cold.

Calling the pros.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Fridge was pronounced dead on Monday. New one arrived Wednesday. AC and Fridge are cold.

Wife is happy.
                      It took me four months to find a fridge because of the way the custom cabinets in the kitchen were built around it.
                      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                        If you think your faucet, microwave, stove, washer, dryer, garbage disposal, etc. is going to last as long as you remember as a kid growing up in the '80's and '90's I've got news for you. It isn't.
                        I figure the earlier it was built the longer it'll last and the newer stuff is getting shorter and shorter life expectancy.

At this rate, I figure every appliance on earth will fail sometime in 2023.
                        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Built the backyard fire pit and sitting area this spring. I had to have a custom fire ring built for it because nobody carries one of the diameter I need. (Me like fire, ugh. ) I got that installed and broke it in Saturday.

Did you know that if you substitute a Reese's PB cup for the Hershey bar you've improved the s'more?
                          And did you know you can put bacon on a s'more? Or pineapple? Or strawberries?

I have to move my WiFi extender so I can be out there and still surf.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Built the backyard fire pit and sitting area this spring.
                            Curious how you installed it. Is it just pavers or did you do something fancier?
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Somebody screwed up somewhere. The GFI has 2 blacks coming in.

We took it out again and disconnected the top black and white wires and made sure breaker 9 was off.

Top wires were cold. But the bottom black was hot. So what we had was two different circuits supplying power to the same outlet. When we reversed the situation top has hot and bottom cold.

Calling the pros.
                              Sounds like it was a split receptacle that someone stuck a GFI in. If everything else works correctly, you could just cap one feed and use the other to supply that outlet. Or you could put a regular split receptacle in and change to GFI breakers. Or the best thing in this case maybe to just call the pros, as they will be sure to check for any other possibilities where something maybe messed up. Hate to see someone melt their house on internet advice.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Curious how you installed it. Is it just pavers or did you do something fancier?
                                I had a 20' diameter pad poured (concrete) with a 6' hole left in the center and a 3' wide path to existing concrete at my yard shed. No stamping, no color, those two would've doubled the price.

I put a retaining wall block sitting wall on the outside diameter on the 180 degrees that face the house and yard shed.

I used the same block and put in a block ring for the fire pit. I had a steel ring made to keep direct fire/heat off the block. The 6' hole turned out more like 6'2" (74") and the block is 8" deep so my 74"-16" gives me 58" functional diameter so a 57" ring. Yes, that sounds big, but I need that as I have trees (happy's head just exploded) and need to burn downed branches after storms.

Sitting there Saturday night is when guests pointed out my WiFi extender (no longer needed in basement as I now have a better primary WiFi device) could be put in the shed and a screen could be put onto the facing side of the shed and I could make s'mores and stream projection video. (They also complained that I should have plastic wine glasses for them out there. < sigh > )
                                Last edited by The Sicatoka; 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X