• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
    Seems excessive.
    You don't know his house.

Last edited by Kepler; 05-08-2020, 01:44 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
      Seems excessive.
      That’s Anderson for you.

I got a quote from Renewal by Anderson for a single kitchen window and a double window downstairs and it was over $5k after “discounts”. I laughed them out of the house.

High quality windows are ****ing expensive.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        That’s Anderson for you.

I got a quote from Renewal by Anderson for a single kitchen window and a double window downstairs and it was over $5k after “discounts”

Andersen costs are a lot of marketing. I don’t know any builders or contractors who would recommend them over other brands.

Comment

I've installed hundreds of wood windows of all kinds, including Marvin, Hurd, Pella, Anderson, Kolbe Kolbe, etc. They are all very good windows, with some differences that make installation or operation slightly different. For many years, Anderson had the best reputation for support. They all sell casement and double hung lines, and some are better in the double hung line but not as good in casement. The high cost is usually not primarily the window itself but all the work on structure, siding and interior trim that makes replacement so expensive.

But it's hard to understand why we feel we need expensive wood windows when windowless sod huts were good enough for our forebears. Back when America was great.
          Last edited by burd; 05-09-2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

I've been looking at upgrading/replacing things at the HPESE, since I've been here almost 17 years, and there's things I haven't touched. The list consists of interior doors, new hardwood flooring (possibly laminate), front door, and a completely new patio. The patio is 9 x 22 and it's deteriorating rapidly. I'm going to have it demo'd and expanded out to 22 x 22. Add in some appliances, and I think I can still bring this in under $20K. I've priced most of it, and the only really big variable is the patio work. My WAG is $10K on that part. Unless an emergency pops up, I'm not likely to get started until next summer.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              That’s Anderson for you.

I got a quote from Renewal by Anderson for a single kitchen window and a double window downstairs and it was over $5k after “discounts”. I laughed them out of the house.

How much were the other quotes you got?
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

That’s Anderson for you.

I went with soft lite- about 7k for a sliding door and replacing a giant 111x64 picture window with 3 large double hungs

Comment

That’s Anderson for you.

They are. We asked for a quote from either Anderson or somebody like that for double panes for 4 normal sized (not picture) windows and it came up $10k. We abstained courteously.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    How much were the other quotes you got?
                    I didn’t. The windows didn’t need to be replaced immediately. I was wanting a quote to start planning.

I need a new roof, new deck, and a few other things done. We’re thinking about taking out a home equity loan and fixing everything at once.

The deck I could probably do myself if I had to. The gutters and roof I can’t. The roof is pushing 20 IIRC and knowing the previous owner, he went with a ****ty shingle.

I’m going back and forth between going high end or middle of the road for all of it. No one factors in quality of shingle and we might move when and if we have kids to get to a better district. That won’t be more than 6-8 years from now. No need to put a super high end Timberline roof on if I’m only going to be here for a quarter or less of the roof’s life. All anyone ever cares about is age of roof.

Ditto on the deck. The cost of going high-end composite vs. pressure treated wood is so rarely taken into account. Don’t need a forever deck if we leave in 6-8. But we’d like a bigger deck and one that isn’t 20+ years old.

Gutters are pretty much the same no matter what, you might get a loci please bucks more for having leaf guard or some **** like that.

For replacement windows, the average schmuck probably won’t know the difference between Window World and Anderson.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I went with soft lite- about 7k for a sliding door and replacing a giant 111x64 picture window with 3 large double hungs
                      That’s not too bad. Did you have someone in particular do the install?
                      Code:

Comment

That’s not too bad. Did you have someone in particular do the install?
                        Yeah MN Builders and Remodelers. Several colleagues had good reviews. You can get decent deals certain times of year too.

Comment

For replacement windows, the average schmuck probably won’t know the difference between Window World and Anderson.
                          What are the differences, as you know them?
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by amit26
                            Hello,

You can try vinegar liquid which is helpful in stains cleaning.I have try on my home wall & it works.I hope it will be helpful for you.
                            Thanks...
                            Solid first post.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This may be an impossibly insane question, but does anyone know if Home Depot does order online, pickup in store for paint? Or do you have to haul your *** in and brave the maskless hordes?

Edit: finally got through right as I was typing after being hung up on twice and then hung up on mid sentence. I was being obnoxiously polite and still got hung up on as I started to thank the guy for his time. So disconnected from two stores and then hung up on. Nice.

Either way. Sounds like you have to go in or have it shipped. Guess I’m having it shipped. June 10th. Oh well.
                              Code:

Comment

This may be an impossibly insane question, but does anyone know if Home Depot does order online, pickup in store for paint? Or do you have to haul your *** in and brave the maskless hordes?

Edit: finally got through right as I was typing after being hung up on twice and then hung up on mid sentence. I was being obnoxiously polite and still got hung up on as I started to thank the guy for his time. So disconnected from two stores and then hung up on. Nice.

Either way. Sounds like you have to go in or have it shipped. Guess I’m having it shipped. June 10th. Oh well.
                                Is there a smaller shop as an option? Like a locally owned Ace or Hardware Hank or something, or does it have to be Home Depot?
                                I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Working...
                                X