The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Home Improvement Thread. Successes and Failures

Behr paint from HD is really good quality.

Comment

Yeah I’m pretty much stuck on Behr. It’s spectacular stuff.

I’m not sure this is exclusive to Behr, but you just really need to be careful how you apply the paint. Even with eggshell if you don’t put it on all in one go and in one direction, you get a really ****ty looking finish where the zones overlap.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        This may be an impossibly insane question, but does anyone know if Home Depot does order online, pickup in store for paint? Or do you have to haul your *** in and brave the maskless hordes?

Edit: finally got through right as I was typing after being hung up on twice and then hung up on mid sentence. I was being obnoxiously polite and still got hung up on as I started to thank the guy for his time. So disconnected from two stores and then hung up on. Nice.

Either way. Sounds like you have to go in or have it shipped. Guess I’m having it shipped. June 10th. Oh well.
        Don't count on that date if you get it shipped. I had one gallon shipped and it took a month. Wear a mask and go get it. Go at opening and avoid the crowds. I've painted 5 rooms in my house since social distance has become a thing. Not done yet but I'm taking time to do other stuff like garden and replacing some doors. Behr is good quality paint in my experience.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          This may be an impossibly insane question, but does anyone know if Home Depot does order online, pickup in store for paint? Or do you have to haul your *** in and brave the maskless hordes?

Edit: finally got through right as I was typing after being hung up on twice and then hung up on mid sentence. I was being obnoxiously polite and still got hung up on as I started to thank the guy for his time. So disconnected from two stores and then hung up on. Nice.

Either way. Sounds like you have to go in or have it shipped. Guess I’m having it shipped. June 10th. Oh well.
          I’ve got a local building supply / lumberyard a couple miles from my house that does free next day local delivery on any size order (they did before the pandemic) and they also do curbside now. They sell Ben Moore paint, which is my preference.

Comment

I’m not sure this is exclusive to Behr, but you just really need to be careful how you apply the paint. Even with eggshell if you don’t put it on all in one go and in one direction, you get a really ****ty looking finish where the zones overlap.
            The first rule of painting: keep a wet edge. And make sure you keep your roller/brush loaded with paint.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Thanks!

I think the wet edge thing is where we screwed the pooch. I feel like I should have known this but whatever. Live and learn. It’s probably why the paint job I did when I bought the house looked liked **** on some of the bigger walls but fine on the smaller ones. Especially the edge work.

Now that there are two of us it will be easier to edge and paint at the same time.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Don't count on that date if you get it shipped. I had one gallon shipped and it took a month. Wear a mask and go get it. Go at opening and avoid the crowds. I've painted 5 rooms in my house since social distance has become a thing. Not done yet but I'm taking time to do other stuff like garden and replacing some doors. Behr is good quality paint in my experience.
                We couldn’t get a sample shipped so we went with two quarts figuring that we could use the extra of whichever color we liked less as a base layer primer or for another room in the house. It was definitely smart. Even if we throw away that extra paint, we’re out like eight bucks. Plus it helped us decide whether we really liked the color on a wider area. Sometimes a two-foot square just isn’t enough to decide.

We might just go down on Tuesday morning since Mrs. 316 is off that day.

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                I’ve got a local building supply / lumberyard a couple miles from my house that does free next day local delivery on any size order (they did before the pandemic) and they also do curbside now. They sell Ben Moore paint, which is my preference.
                Yeah, I’ve been tempted to go a different route. I’m sure a lot of these paints have finally started to catch up to Behr.
                Code:

Comment

I’ve used both Ben Moore and sherwin. Both have gone downhill in my opinion...I know some realtors and stagers stuck on them from being familiar with their colors but I know multiple contractors and design firms who will only use behr.

It’s really hard to know what a color will look like til the wall is painted. I had to ask my realtor for the list of grays that won’t look purple or pink.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    I’ve used both Ben Moore and sherwin. Both have gone downhill in my opinion...I know some realtors and stagers stuck on them from being familiar with their colors but I know multiple contractors and design firms who will only use behr.

It’s really hard to know what a color will look like til the wall is painted. I had to ask my realtor for the list of grays that won’t look purple or pink.
                    I've done a lot of remodeling to my victorian era home (not fancy, just old), and I chose to continue using the wood lap siding because I prefer wood over vinyl or aluminum. Foolish, maybe, since it requires a lot more maintenance, but wood offers quality and esthetic advantages, IMO. As a result, I've had quite a bit of experience with exterior paint in this climate. Sherwin Williams still holds up better over time, IMO, and I will still be willing to pay more for it next time around unless I find something better. Painting a two story house with a lot of high gable ends and painted eves is just too much work, even if you spray where possible, to use anything but the best you can find. Paint technology changes too, though, so maybe other mfrs will step up. Inside? Not as choosy. Behr is good.

Comment

Interesting. I’ve been in some remodeled homes in Edina in the last year and owners were remarking on how SW wasn’t holding up as well anymore.
                      Consumer reports also had behr at the top the last time I looked

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Interesting. I’ve been in some remodeled homes in Edina in the last year and owners were remarking on how SW wasn’t holding up as well anymore.
                        Consumer reports also had behr at the top the last time I looked
                        That could very well be. It's been about 7 years since I painted the whole house and, as I said, technology evolves. Enough time passes between house paintings that the quality competition among mfrs is constantly changing.

I realize the OP here raised an interior paint question, but when it comes to exterior paint, whichever brand name a person uses, buy quality first, price second. Talking latex here, not oil, for environmental reasons.

Comment

My dad’s old rule of thumb was every $10/gal buys you a year. Not sure that holds up after all these years.
                          Code:

Comment

My dad’s old rule of thumb was every $10/gal buys you a year. Not sure that holds up after all these years.
                            That's interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Yeah I’m pretty much stuck on Behr. It’s spectacular stuff.

We used to use behr all the time. Eventually went to Sherwin Williams for one project and it was worth the extra money. Better coverage, less streaks, consistent finish.

Comment

For what it's worth...

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-interior-paint/
                                https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hom...terior-paints/
                                https://www.realsimple.com/home-orga...t-paint-brands

I don't have an account but if you do from CR: https://www.consumerreports.org/inte...reports-tests/

Comment

Working...
                                X