This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    We're important because as of now we're the only form of life that we know knows it's alive. We're the only source of ethics or values or purpose; nothing else has any of that. We're the only real thing that counts as a god, or free, or responsible; the only prisoner to break out of nature's circle of determinism.

We should protect that at least until we discover something else that does it. We could be the only one ever.
    Monkeys can’t operate desalination plants.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: Climate Change 2: Thank God for Global Warming

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      We're important because as of now we're the only form of life that we know knows it's alive. We're the only source of ethics or values or purpose; nothing else has any of that. We're the only real thing that counts as a god, or free, or responsible; the only prisoner to break out of nature's circle of determinism.

We should protect that at least until we discover something else that does it. We could be the only one ever.
      Well if GODZILLA is a documentary
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        Well if GODZILLA is a documentary
        Mad Max should not be used as a blueprint.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Monkeys can’t operate desalination plants.
          No but they can become POTUS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            No but they can become POTUS.
            Do monkeys age over 35?
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              In the pre-genus homo eras, CO2 levels were higher. Was there life on this planet during those times? What caused the CO2 levels then? Why'd they drop?

Another article to peruse on topic.

We'll kill ourselves off (unless the Sun or the planet beat us to it), but the planet will still have life. Call it a reboot. Nature wins.
              Just remember, based on your acceptance of money over people, which is what your justification is, that when its your and your families time to die for the all mighty dollar, you have already accepted that fate.

Are you REALLY accepting that you and your family can die due to human work? Really? Feel free to answer that.

Pretending that this is just normal, and not accepting that humans can have an impact is kind of nuts. What odds of human cause do you want before anything is done? 5, 10, 50, 90 percent? If there's a chance that we can slow this change down, and save people's lives- why should we not?

Justifying this change in atmosphere that "it happened before so we will be ok" ignores what can and is happening just so people who are far richer than you can make a whole lot more money. Funny how we pan communism for killing a lot of people, from Russia of more than a few periods to China now with their emissions. Yet when it comes to capitalism, doing the exact same thing, just on a different scale, is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                Just remember, based on your acceptance of money over people, which is what your justification is, that when its your and your families time to die for the all mighty dollar, you have already accepted that fate.

Are you REALLY accepting that you and your family can die due to human work? Really? Feel free to answer that.

Pretending that this is just normal, and not accepting that humans can have an impact is kind of nuts. What odds of human cause do you want before anything is done? 5, 10, 50, 90 percent? If there's a chance that we can slow this change down, and save people's lives- why should we not?

Justifying this change in atmosphere that "it happened before so we will be ok" ignores what can and is happening just so people who are far richer than you can make a whole lot more money. Funny how we pan communism for killing a lot of people, from Russia of more than a few periods to China now with their emissions. Yet when it comes to capitalism, doing the exact same thing, just on a different scale, is fine.
                The problem was the politicization of science in the first place. When the fossil fuel industry, like the cancer stick industry before them, started attacking reason and evidence everyone should have laughed at them. When the GOP latched onto them (became them, with Cheney in power) then all the R voters became complicit. If your party is "drill, baby, drill" you're murdering the planet, deliberately. But R's have (albeit not very bright) kids too, so then all the psychological defense mechanisms of denial and backfire kick in. More evidence produces even greater certainty that the evidence is lying. It has to be, otherwise he's been hurting his own kids. Gleefully.

GOP leaders were cynics. GOP voters were saps. A pattern emerges.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-12-2019, 07:37 AM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Rant:
                  I just don't understand how people can be so divided on protecting our natural resources.
                  As a hunter, it makes sense to protect the land so more animals can thrive so hunting remains viable.
                  As a nature lover, I want to keep our outdoors a place to get away and hike, explore and camp.
                  There should be no reason both sides can't agree protecting nature is important.
                  Even the dbag Texans who only go to Colorado to ride their dirt bikes and destroy the trails should want to protect these areas.

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                    Rant:
                    I just don't understand how people can be so divided on protecting our natural resources.
                    As a hunter, it makes sense to protect the land so more animals can thrive so hunting remains viable.
                    As a nature lover, I want to keep our outdoors a place to get away and hike, explore and camp.
                    There should be no reason both sides can't agree protecting nature is important.
                    Even the dbag Texans who only go to Colorado to ride their dirt bikes and destroy the trails should want to protect these areas.
                    The "outdoorsy" subset of people is very strange when you look at it. To use fishing as an example:

On the surface, when asked, they will say that they are for protecting out resources. But of those people, how many of them are the ones that leave garbage all over any access point (scrap line, worm/hook containers, food packages, etc.)? The ones that are oblivious to any sort of regulation (catch limits) or just downright ignore the regs? These are people who actively partake in the hobby, but are also the ones destroying it. Every time we lose access to a place due to trash being involved (both human and physical) the finger is always pointed elsewhere. It's always the "other guy" that littered, but not me! There is always the older crowd who points and says "back in my day we could catch 100+ __________ and keep every one! It's BS that I can only keep 5 now!"

That is the biggest problem the outdoors face. It's the inability to look inwards at our own kind that are causing the problems. And at least here in the Chicago area, I'd wager the vote is probably split somewhat even between D and R with the subset of people in question....

Comment

Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                      Rant:
                      As a farmer, you want to protect the natural resources and not alter the environment so that you can continue to farm, too. How the Farmers are in such denial is kind of odd. All the while as they complain about non normal rainfall and flooding.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                        The "outdoorsy" subset of people is very strange when you look at it. To use fishing as an example:

On the surface, when asked, they will say that they are for protecting out resources. But of those people, how many of them are the ones that leave garbage all over any access point (scrap line, worm/hook containers, food packages, etc.)? The ones that are oblivious to any sort of regulation (catch limits) or just downright ignore the regs? These are people who actively partake in the hobby, but are also the ones destroying it. Every time we lose access to a place due to trash being involved (both human and physical) the finger is always pointed elsewhere. It's always the "other guy" that littered, but not me! There is always the older crowd who points and says "back in my day we could catch 100+ __________ and keep every one! It's BS that I can only keep 5 now!"

That is the biggest problem the outdoors face. It's the inability to look inwards at our own kind that are causing the problems. And at least here in the Chicago area, I'd wager the vote is probably split somewhat even between D and R with the subset of people in question....
                        Even more odd is some of the denial that is clearly mad made problems. There's a lake in the UP (Otter Lake if you are wondering) where in the old days, you could limit out perch. Even when I was a kid, you could get a bucket full. Then it was dammed up, in theory to slow the filling of the lake from the Sturgeon River.... Since then, the fish population has gone essentially to zero. Just ran into someone who moved to the area recently when we were up there a few weeks ago- they were stunned to hear how good the fishing was, even when I was a kid 40 years ago.

This was totally a man made change. Why can't people see that man can have an impact?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          As a farmer, you want to protect the natural resources and not alter the environment so that you can continue to farm, too. How the Farmers are in such denial is kind of odd. All the while as they complain about non normal rainfall and flooding.
                          Probably very similar to what I posted above about fisher people... "It's Dave's fault for using old/harmful methods and causing the problem!" But then that same guy goes and uses the same method because that's what he's been taught is the right way....

People don't want to admit that maybe they are part of the problem and won't be part of the solution because that takes an effort to change their ways...

Comment

Probably very similar to what I posted above about fisher people... "It's Dave's fault for using old/harmful methods and causing the problem!" But then that same guy goes and uses the same method because that's what he's been taught is the right way....

People don't want to admit that maybe they are part of the problem and won't be part of the solution because that takes an effort to change their ways...
                            The less scary thing is that I've seen many farmers who do see themselves as part of the problem. Which is good to hear. They are changing methods to attack many items, from soil depletion to flooding to algae blooms. The estimate of farms that seem to be working on this is probably less than the fishers and hunters that you encounter- just 10%. But at least some see themselves as both part of the problem and part of the solution.

Comment

It took 50 years for recycling to go from "that's crazy" to "that's obvious." I'm old enough to remember when people who recycled were laughed at as insane and impractical Luddites.

Carbon footprint and renewables will follow the same trajectory. It's only been in the public arena now for about 20 years; we still have another 30 to go. Plus with recycling there wasn't much of an industry pushback to falsify the science (Big Styrofoam?), whereas with fossil fuels there's a vampire squid trying to stifle the debate.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'll be the roundabout?????

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...affic-circles/
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X