Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
    We're gaining ground on Sparty! M-A-I-N-E, goooo Blue!
    Half full kinda guy. Love It! Gooooo BLUE!

Comment

so nice to see we maintained 4th(by the numbers, but #1 in my heart). And thank you for maintaining these records.
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Nice job, though disappointed that the quick write-ups were not done. If you need help, I will volunteer to do the Atlantic Hockey Teams.
        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
        2010 Frozen Four participant
        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Hats off to FS 23 for stepping up and to those who helped.

Comment

Well, it's just about that time of year again where these rankings will be updated. This year marks the 10th Anniversary of when I finished the rankings, so we will have a subset within this thread for the Best Program of the 2010s. I will again be asking for volunteers to help with putting together writeups for the 60 programs in Division 1 Men's Hockey, focusing on each program's history during the 2010s. Please feel free to shoot me an email/PM if you would like to volunteer, which would help this thread move smoothly during the summer/offseason.

That being said, let's take a preview of what the rankings may show when they are revealed. I should note that I have not entered in any data thus far, but I am using historical averages when discussing potential movement in the rankings.

The top spot will again be a battle between Michigan and North Dakota. Given Michigan's lead coming into the season, as well as the likely fact that their individuals will do better with individual awards than North Dakota's players, the odds are highly likely that Michigan will keep the #1 overall...but it will be close. The biggest factor that could push North Dakota back into the #1 spot would be if SCSU or Mankato were to capture their first titles.

The #3/#4 battle is a bit more interesting. Denver would certainly move up to #3 with a national title, but may be able to pass the Gophers with a trip to the title game. Anything less, and Minnesota will stay at #3.

The #5/#6 battle will also be close. BC had a pretty tough year, but BU did not do too much better. I would anticipate that BC would edge out BU for the #5 spot, but the Terriers will likely gain some ground on their inter-ci....inter-state rivals.

Wisconsin is stuck at #7. They are in no danger of being caught from #8 Michigan State for the foreseeable future. If the Badgers can turn their fortunes around in the next few seasons, they could easily push for inclusion in the Top 5 if they make some deep NCAA runs. When these rankings began following the 2009-2010 season, Wisconsin was in the fifth spot. However, a decade where BC and Denver both won titles have seen UW slip down to #7.

Similar to Wisconsin, Michigan State is in no danger of being caught for the #8 spot this season, and have no hope of moving up. They will be #8.

The Top 10 is accessible for several schools, including Cornell (who would likely need, at minimum, a Frozen Four run), Harvard (who would likely need a run to the title game, if not a championship), and Clarkson (who would almost certainly need a title and maybe even a little help). Duluth is in good position to remain in the Top 10, and could take over the #9 spot from Maine with a good run (likely a Frozen Four or better). Moreover, the Bulldogs could cement their status as "Team of the Decade" with a solid run. They already have 2 titles and 3 title game appearances on their resume in the 2010s.

Providence and Bowling Green are in similar spots, and likely would max out at #16 or #17 with a title. They probably need a title appearance to move past RPI. That being said, a Frozen Four would likely cement either program in the #18 spot.

Union and Notre Dame are also in similar boats. A national title could push them as high as #17. They could move up into the Top 20 with a title game appearance.

Quinnipiac could also crack the Top 20 with a national title. A third runner-up in the decade would give them a shot to push into the Top 25.

SCSU would likely move into the Top 25 with their first national title. A runner-up would likely leave them just on the cusp of the Top 25, and a Frozen Four probably puts them in the Top 30. The same is largely true for Ohio State.

The rest of the teams could potentially move into the top half with a national title, with Mankato and Massachusetts most likely given their strong seasons thus far. Otherwise, they will likely move up a few spots. With a national title, Arizona State or AIC could see a meteoric rise in these rankings. For perspective, Union made a similar rise in the first half of the decade, moving from #52 into the Top 25 within the span of about 3 seasons.
            Last edited by Fighting Sioux 23; 03-24-2019, 03:47 PM.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Considering how bad AIC has been over the years, an AIC National title could raise the profile of all the Atlantic Hockey teams.

Comment

BTW - I volunteer for Atlantic Hockey

Comment

I will volunteer for the ECAC write-ups
                  Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                  Clarkson 1990

Comment

Duluth is in good position to remain in the Top 10, and could take over the #9 spot from Maine with a good run (likely a Frozen Four or better). Moreover, the Bulldogs could cement their status as "Team of the Decade" with a solid run. They already have 2 titles and 3 title game appearances on their resume in the 2010s.
                    Think Denver could give UMD a run . Two NCHC playoff titles, 1 National Championship,1Penrose Cup. Not sure about WCHA days except we kept losing the 1st game at the NCAAs and consequently lost the coach
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Think Denver could give UMD a run . Two NCHC playoff titles, 1 National Championship,1Penrose Cup. Not sure about WCHA days except we kept losing the 1st game at the NCAAs and consequently lost the coach
                      If they win a title, they will have a chance. Otherwise...no.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        Considering how bad AIC has been over the years, an AIC National title could raise the profile of all the Atlantic Hockey teams.
                        they are the 'home' team here!!!! billboards all over announcing AIC classes
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

FTR, it's still MN. /tArrogance

But go AIC. I am full on the bandwagon, and will be rocking their jersey for the tourney.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            FTR, it's still MN. /tArrogance

But go AIC. I am full on the bandwagon, and will be rocking their jersey for the tourney.
                            ....go get me a beer.
                            Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                            —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
                              ....go get me a beer.
                              Here's my arse. Kiss it.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Will AIC be the Holy Cross of this year's tournament?
                                bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                                SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                                All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                                A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Working...
                                X