The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Terry Switzer View Post
    Jeff Sauer won a National Championship his first year a Wisconsin.
    Yep. After being a head coach for a dozen seasons.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

• Re: The Greatest Programs of All-Time: #1 - #60

Up to 11 as they say in Spinal tap. Great Movie.
      UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

little late, but....

not withstanding the overall rank, how did bc squeeze ahead of bu in the 2018-19 rank?

bu was 2 games under .500, bc was 8
        bu had a -5 goal differential, bc -20
        bc also was oh-fer in occ games Mookie believes. that hadda hurt, no?

so reading here, bc was 58th in points rank for the year with -0.495 and bu was 60th (!!!!) with -1.4849

hmmmmmmm
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          little late, but....

not withstanding the overall rank, how did bc squeeze ahead of bu in the 2018-19 rank?

bu was 2 games under .500, bc was 8
          bu had a -5 goal differential, bc -20
          bc also was oh-fer in occ games Mookie believes. that hadda hurt, no?

so reading here, bc was 58th in points rank for the year with -0.495 and bu was 60th (!!!!) with -1.4849

hmmmmmmm
          Without doing a deep dive into the numbers, I would guess it came down to (in no particular order): (1) BC went 1-0-1 against BU (the Terriers scored a whopping one goal in the series); (2) BC went to the Hockey East Championship Game (BU lost in the Semis); (3) BC had an All-American (BU did not); and (4) BC went 6-7-1 against former champions (BU went 2-6-3).

Also, I don't recall off the top of my head whether there were any errors that I caught for BU that had an adverse effect on their overall score (YOY overall score is how I calculate the yearly changes). Losing 1.4849 points is pretty high given BU's season, so it could very well have been an error that was corrected after last year that caused them to drop as such.
          North Dakota

Comment

• Thought that I would put together a quick post to: (1) boost this thread up so I can find it easier; and (2) give a general overview on how the Frozen Four could shake up the rankings.

With the addition of Long Island, we're now at 61 teams...so Bentley (likely) won't be last.

As for the Frozen Four's impact, I'm not sure if Minnesota Duluth can jump Michigan State for the #8 spot with a title...but it will be close.

Mankato probably stands to make the biggest leap with a title, and SCSU or UMass could conceivably jump into the top 25 if they were to win it all. In other words, Union could wind up at #26 after this season!

Also, for those that track such things, if SCSU, UMass, or Mankato win their first title, that program's w-l-t records would be added into the record against previous champions portion of the formula. That generally benefits their conference mates (and to a lesser extent, former conference mates). So, Hockey East teams would likely benefit if the Minutemen captured the title. NCHC teams would see a boost (as well as probably some of SCSU's old WCHA rivals) if the Huskies won it all. WCHA teams (and similar to SCSU, some of Mankato's old WCHA rivals) would probably see a rise if the Mavericks win it all.

North Dakota

Comment

• First off, Congratulations to Massachusetts for capturing their program's first National Championship! The Minutemen are a very deserving champion and show what any program can do if they get the right leadership, character, and talent in place. I anticipate UMASS will make another pretty significant leap up in the rankings.

Second, as we have a first time champion, it will take a bit longer to put together the data than usual (plus I have a 7-day trial starting at the end of the month), so I anticipate having the rankings closer to late-May, early-June.

Third, I will probably just do a batch release (perhaps in ~10 team bursts) this year. I just simply don't have sufficient time right now to coordinate and bring together the more detailed breakdowns/writeups each year. I'll try to do that about every 5 years or so.
              North Dakota

Comment

• Just wanted to bump this thread up a bit.

I never posted the end of seasons rankings from the 2020-2021 season, so I will do my best to make sure to post the end of season rankings this year. Maybe not posting every year will build a bit more excitement in the thread? I guess we will see.
                North Dakota

Comment

• I haven't crunched the numbers yet for this season, but a few tidbits before tonight's game:

- The race for #1 between North Dakota and Michigan will be extremely close...likely within 1-2 points. It could come down to who wins the game tonight.

- Denver likely jumps Minnesota and into the #3 spot with a win tonight. A loss and the Pioneers likely remain at #4.

- Minnesota State is going to make a nice jump regardless. However, with a win they will likely sneak in (or be just on the cusp) of the top-25.
                  North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    I haven't crunched the numbers yet for this season, but a few tidbits before tonight's game:

- The race for #1 between North Dakota and Michigan will be extremely close...likely within 1-2 points. It could come down to who wins the game tonight.

- Denver likely jumps Minnesota and into the #3 spot with a win tonight. A loss and the Pioneers likely remain at #4.

- Minnesota State is going to make a nice jump regardless. However, with a win they will likely sneak in (or be just on the cusp) of the top-25.
                    Any chance you'd like to update these?
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

Any chance you'd like to update these?
                      I've really let this thread go...but the interest seemed to dip doing it every season. However, for you, I will post the 2021-2022 end of season rankings this weekend. : p
                      North Dakota

Comment

• That click bait tweet from Big Game Boomer made me wonder what your ranking say.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          That click bait tweet from Big Game Boomer made me wonder what your ranking say.
                          I must have missed it. I assume they must have put together a top program's ranking?
                          North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I've really let this thread go...but the interest seemed to dip doing it every season. However, for you, I will post the 2021-2022 end of season rankings this weekend. : p
                            I agree you let this thread go. Curious what made you think the interest was lacking? I think there are many that look forward to it and appreciate the work put in. Thanks

Comment

• Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Comment

• I don't understand SCSU, PSU, BSU or OSU making the top 25...unless they're counting DII stuff for BSU but PSU makes no sense, same with OSU

Comment

Working...
                                X