bu off-season - #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: bu off-season - #1

McAvoy at BU was undisciplined and made a lot of mistakes. In loss to Notre Dame, for instance, he was directly or indirectly responsible for all of the Irish goals.

But, it was not a lack of coaching, attitude or lack of effort.

McAvoy is physically gifted. A real power skater. In college, he tried to do too much. So how do you harness a talent like that.
    He could make a mistake, a gamble that she shouldn't have, and often was able to make up for it because of how well he moves. Sometimes that didn't work, and he was caught.

High hockey IQ? I'm not sold. I think it is more a lack of overall experience, especially defensively.

If he plays within himself, and doesn't try and too much, he could be a big success with the Bruins. I think he will do that.
    My question will be how does he play once he establishes himself, and feels he can start taking chances again.

I wish him luck, and hope that he does play within himself. That will be the proof of whether he has a high Hockey IQ or not.

Comment

- If you read the actual quotes from Greenway, I wouldn't call it an absolute certainty that he comes back. I think that is his intention at this time, but apparently the Wild still have every intention of trying to sign him
      - On JFK, I think it is clear that the Bruins wanted to sign him to avoid losing him in a couple years, but see him as needing some time in the AHL. He used leverage (burn a year of the ELC), since he seemed to be fine with coming back to BU. They signed him, gave him a game, and now he will likely not play in Boston until he has had some seasoning in Providence. Of course, if Krejci is out beyond last night, it is certainly possible that JFK could play, but I think they stick wit more veteran pros.
      - McAvoy - he looked great, and I wan't surprised. He definitely kept things simple, but I also think he was more comfortable with the physical side, less worried that he might get called for hitting too hard. There is no doubt that he had a significant impact on the Bruins beating the trap. I think he has played his last AHL game.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        - If you read the actual quotes from Greenway, I wouldn't call it an absolute certainty that he comes back. I think that is his intention at this time, but apparently the Wild still have every intention of trying to sign him
        - On JFK, I think it is clear that the Bruins wanted to sign him to avoid losing him in a couple years, but see him as needing some time in the AHL. He used leverage (burn a year of the ELC), since he seemed to be fine with coming back to BU. They signed him, gave him a game, and now he will likely not play in Boston until he has had some seasoning in Providence. Of course, if Krejci is out beyond last night, it is certainly possible that JFK could play, but I think they stick wit more veteran pros.
        - McAvoy - he looked great, and I wan't surprised. He definitely kept things simple, but I also think he was more comfortable with the physical side, less worried that he might get called for hitting too hard. There is no doubt that he had a significant impact on the Bruins beating the trap. I think he has played his last AHL game.
        "I want to win a couple more championships here, so definitely one more year is what I'm going to do." Sounds pretty definite to me. Now we all know he is 20 and young minds can be fickle especially when someone is waving money in front of their face. However, I feel much better about him coming back now.

Agreed on JFK and McAvoy.

Krejci was a last minute scratch. JFK might have not even made the trip. I have no idea how many players travel.

Comment

I agree with all of the above, but I would not at all be surprised to see JFK on the Bruins out of camp next year, both because of how his negotiation appeared to go down (from the outside, no inside knowledge) and Bruins have two expiring forward contracts, and four more who will be restricted free agents, plus the possibility of losing one to Vegas. I have doubts that he will ever score at a rate to make a top 2 line, but think he is positionally sound enough to not be a liability on a bottom line, even at 20.

Greenway is interesting because Minnesota seems to want to sign him, but has a deep forward group, so it would figure they want him in the AHL. Sam Anas, Alex Tuch, Mario Lucia, Adam Gilmour, Justin Kloos, and Luke Kunin are already on their AHL roster, unable to make the NHL team. If Greenway prefers one more year in Boston before beginning to bus around Iowa I'm not sure what the Wild could really give him to sweeten their offer, they couldn't give him an NHL spot over all 6 of those AHL players listed, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
            "I want to win a couple more championships here, so definitely one more year is what I'm going to do." Sounds pretty definite to me. Now we all know he is 20 and young minds can be fickle especially when someone is waving money in front of their face. However, I feel much better about him coming back now.

Agreed on JFK and McAvoy.

Krejci was a last minute scratch. JFK might have not even made the trip. I have no idea how many players travel.
            At this point, I'd settle for one.
            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
              At this point, I'd settle for one.
              Icebreaker?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

And if the Bruins don't lose two d-men to injury, McAvoy is stuck in the AHL as well.

Be interesting to see who the B's turn to if Miller can't go Saturday. I'm rooting for Gryz. (obvs)

There was a nice image floating around Twitter last night with all eight playoff series and how there is at least one former Terrier involved in all eight. And Bonino with a goal last night.

Good news on Greenway. Can we bring Mike Grier in to teach him how to park in front of the net and gobble up rebounds?

BU Hockey: The Past, Present, and Future
                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                  Greenway is interesting because Minnesota seems to want to sign him, but has a deep forward group, so it would figure they want him in the AHL. Sam Anas, Alex Tuch, Mario Lucia, Adam Gilmour, Justin Kloos, and Luke Kunin are already on their AHL roster, unable to make the NHL team. If Greenway prefers one more year in Boston before beginning to bus around Iowa I'm not sure what the Wild could really give him to sweeten their offer, they couldn't give him an NHL spot over all 6 of those AHL players listed, right?
                  I also wouldn't rule out a possibility that Greenway might be contemplating going the Kevin Hayes / Jimmy Vesey route, especially when the Wild has the depth they have as noted here. Ultimately his game is best-suited for the pros, but he needs to be more consistent. I also think he genuinely loves being at BU; returning is the right move for him and I think it'll be mutually beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                    Icebreaker?
                    baby steps
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      There was a nice image floating around Twitter last night with all eight playoff series and how there is at least one former Terrier involved in all eight.

Comment

Michael russo is pretty connected, says wild have not been informed by greenway that he is returning to BU. so i would expect that one to play out over the summer possibly.

Comment

Was fascinating watching mcavoy last night because i don't know how you could have predicted him playing 24 minutes and playing so well. I didn't see every BU game but i never saw that performance coming. Was he fully invested at BU? Guys around him couldn't keep up? Have no idea but **** he was impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post

I'm going to keep beating the drum for Charlie Coyle. The kid is a beast. Very likeable player.
                            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

In other Jordan Greenway news....

He has been one of the first 15 named to the USA National Team competing in the IIHF World Championship. Only 2 other current college players on the team.

http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_ar...rrer_id=695820

Comment

The PTI guys talked about "Chances Charlie McAvoy holds his own" on the show last night. #NationalExposure
                                It Happened!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X