Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Gwinn, MI
    Posts
    1,791

    Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Here it is folks. We are not surprised here in Marquette.

    https://www.nmuwildcats.com/sports/mi...20170310h9hmpu

  2. #2
    Michigan Tech Fan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    2,538

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    So does this mean Michigan Tech will be looking for a new assistant coach shortly? Maybe Tech can feed coaches to all the teams in the UP? Walt's overall career numbers look acceptable (265-263-68 / 15 seasons), however if you focus on just his record since NMU came back to the WCHA I think that is where he fell short and the natives got restless.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    25,313
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    So does this mean Michigan Tech will be looking for a new assistant coach shortly? Maybe Tech can feed coaches to all the teams in the UP? Walt's overall career numbers look acceptable (265-263-68 / 15 seasons), however if you focus on just his record since NMU came back to the WCHA I think that is where he fell short and the natives got restless.
    Ryan J
    No. A minority of natives got restless in 2007. Walt was rewarded in 2010, after helming the team to their first NCAA visit in a decade, by more locals not showing up to more games. The icing was placed on this crappy metaphorical cake in 2015 when Walt was placed on administrative leave because the AD almost committed the same mistake that he did at UAF.


    Shawhan already has a purple heart medal from his tour at NMU. Not sure he wants another.
    Last edited by aparch; 03-10-2017 at 12:46 PM.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,263

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    The question I have is, who is NMU going to get that's any better?

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    MARQUETTE, MI, U.S.A
    Posts
    1,407

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    The question I have is, who is NMU going to get that's any better?
    Actually, that is a good question.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Soo, Mich
    Posts
    511

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Lake Superior funding. Tech expectations. You've got good Freshmen & Sophomore classes so you probably get an uptick for a couple, but then again, when you're only back at 15-16 wins like you were the last few years, you'll be grumbling again. Can it get worse? Look at LSSU, Anchorage, Colorado College & Michigan State where the malcontents begged for a head on a platter. Good luck. You're more likely to stay with us in the race to make the playoffs than joining Tech, Bemidji & Mankato at the top.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,248

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    .......Can it get worse? Look at LSSU, Anchorage, Colorado College & Michigan State where the malcontents begged for a head on a platter. Good luck. You're more likely to stay with us in the race to make the playoffs than joining Tech, Bemidji & Mankato at the top.
    You can add Maine to that list. Maine fired their head coach 4 years ago and except for the first year they have had 20 or more losses in each of the last three years.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by RapidsCity View Post
    Lake Superior funding. Tech expectations. You've got good Freshmen & Sophomore classes so you probably get an uptick for a couple, but then again, when you're only back at 15-16 wins like you were the last few years, you'll be grumbling again. Can it get worse? Look at LSSU, Anchorage, Colorado College & Michigan State where the malcontents begged for a head on a platter. Good luck. You're more likely to stay with us in the race to make the playoffs than joining Tech, Bemidji & Mankato at the top.
    Anchorage is starting to beg for another head on a platter.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Anchorage is starting to beg for another head on a platter.
    I take it you ran a poll of all Seawolf fans.
    Funny. Usually I see that sort of thing.
    Guess I missed that one.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Is boot_walt_kyle still banned?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    I take it you ran a poll of all Seawolf fans.
    Funny. Usually I see that sort of thing.
    Guess I missed that one.
    I have no dog (wolf?) in that fight. Just an observation, my friend.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    I have no dog (wolf?) in that fight. Just an observation, my friend.
    Just my opinion but I don't think the howl for Matt's pelt is very loud yet.
    I've seen some of Suze's posts but not much else.
    Speaking of Wolves I wonder if Shyiak will apply to replace Walt?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lower Michigan
    Posts
    1,021

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    I would think this was expected based on the lack of success over the past several years.
    We had the good fortune of staying at the same hotel as the Cats at the Soo a couple years ago for the Boo in the Soo and the Cats were awesome to our kids. I think NMU can get a good replacement and the energy with a bit younger coach and some excitement with recruits could get them moving in the right direction relatively quickly.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    Just my opinion but I don't think the howl for Matt's pelt is very loud yet.
    I've seen some of Suze's posts but not much else.
    Speaking of Wolves I wonder if Shyiak will apply to replace Walt?
    Our old buddy Tavis MacMillan is back in the NCAA ranks (assistant at DU). He could be another one. Plus he knows Karr.

    Then again, he probably makes more as an assistant at DU than he would as a head coach at NMU.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
    I would think this was expected based on the lack of success over the past several years.
    We had the good fortune of staying at the same hotel as the Cats at the Soo a couple years ago for the Boo in the Soo and the Cats were awesome to our kids. I think NMU can get a good replacement and the energy with a bit younger coach and some excitement with recruits could get them moving in the right direction relatively quickly.
    The second half of the season was far better a reflection of this year's team. The Cats lost D Zach Urban just before the season and D James Vermeullen for most of the year with an injury. They also lost Shine for the first 6 games and Sooth for the entire first half and Tolvanen slumped as well. But as the season moved on, the young D got experience, Tolvanen broke out of his slump and Shine and Sooth were united and clicked and Demico Hannoun joined the lineup. And players like Payne, Loggins, Diamantoni took big steps. The team is set up well for the next couple years, with or without a change. And the addition of Adam Rockwood will be big as well. Hopefully whomever the new coach is can retain the incoming recruiting class, because it looks strong as well.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,428

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Quote Originally Posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Our old buddy Tavis MacMillan is back in the NCAA ranks (assistant at DU). He could be another one. Plus he knows Karr.

    Then again, he probably makes more as an assistant at DU than he would as a head coach at NMU.
    I believe NMU was paying $170,084.
    Didn't know DU paid that much for assistants.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    45.52 N, 122.67 W
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Seawolf Fan View Post
    I believe NMU was paying $170,084.
    Didn't know DU paid that much for assistants.
    I was being somewhat facetious, but it would not surprise me if most nacho assistants are well compensated.

    I also would not be surprised if Karr calls Tavis.

  18. #18
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    206,776

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU




  19. #19
    Rebuilding
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    12,169

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Wow...

  20. #20
    I love (goal) lamp
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,689

    Re: Just released, Walt Kyle out at NMU

    Always knew he was pure class, lol
    2005-2006: 7-25-6
    2006-2007: 18-17-5
    2007-2008: 14-20-5
    2008-2009: 6-25-7
    2009-2010: 5-30-1

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •