Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Black Bears Recruiting

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I would think that Swayman stays around for 3 seasons and leaves after his Junior season.
    This is most likely and what I was thinking too. If we look at Jimmy Howard, we see a goalie drafted higher, had a lot of international experience with world juniors, and set save percentage and goals against average records for a single NCAA season as a sophmore... And he came back but left after junior year. So my guess is Bruins will be content with Swayman developing at Maine until after junior year.

Also, Thiessen is playing game 4 of the MJHL finals tonight. Had a good game 3 to get his team back in the series... down 1-2. Hopefully he closes out strong.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
      Too small, I bet. He could be a guy if he shows well in college that signs as an undrafted free agent and puts together either a solid but non-spectacular career spanning several years, or a guy who has a great season or two then flames out.

This is what i expect to happen as well.
      So, I was able to watch the rerun of the regular season finally which was Sioux Falls vs. Fargo. Drobot had a goal on a tip in of a point shot while screening the goalie. Dawe had a great game with many nifty passes and a couple nice shots but couldnt get on the score sheet. For all his hard work he was rewarded with a friendly fire to his face from a re-directed shot from the point. He was slow to get back to the bench. But he was able to finish the game and play a few more shifts. Seems like a tough kid, seems to not play small. Scrappy, he got a roughing penalty in a scrum with John Shuldt, a 6'4" 215 lbs defensemen. Gave up 55 lbs and 9 inches of height and still tangled with him, even talking with him while in the box. In the end, Ben Meyer was the difference maker as he was the only one to score on the shootout to give Fargo the W.

Also, Thiessen backstopped a 4-0 Steinbech win to even the championship series at 2 games each. Thiessen is pretty sound technically, but his glove is great too. He showed a couple nice glove saves. Virden rink is interesting, it has standing room mezzanines above the glass on each end... there wasn't a spot on that railing at either end. No doubt I'd be standing there if I could, sightlines must be great.
      Last edited by BlackI; 04-16-2018, 09:43 PM. Reason: Added Thiessen info from MJHL finals game 4

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        So, I was able to watch the rerun of the regular season finally which was Sioux Falls vs. Fargo. Drobot had a goal on a tip in of a point shot while screening the goalie. Dawe had a great game with many nifty passes and a couple nice shots but couldnt get on the score sheet. For all his hard work he was rewarded with a friendly fire to his face from a re-directed shot from the point. He was slow to get back to the bench. But he was able to finish the game and play a few more shifts. Seems like a tough kid, seems to not play small. Scrappy, he got a roughing penalty in a scrum with John Shuldt, a 6'4" 215 lbs defensemen. Gave up 55 lbs and 9 inches of height and still tangled with him, even talking with him while in the box. In the end, Ben Meyer was the difference maker as he was the only one to score on the shootout to give Fargo the W.

Also, Thiessen backstopped a 4-0 Steinbech win to even the championship series at 2 games each. Thiessen is pretty sound technically, but his glove is great too. He showed a couple nice glove saves. Virden rink is interesting, it has standing room mezzanines above the glass on each end... there wasn't a spot on that railing at either end. No doubt I'd be standing there if I could, sightlines must be great.
        Thanks for the report. Does anyone have any idea why JSS didn't play in the second game of the series (season finale)?

Comment

• Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
          Thanks for the report. Does anyone have any idea why JSS didn't play in the second game of the series (season finale)?
          With most standings settled many teams sat key players and gave time to guys who were their depth or recently added players
          Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

So, I was able to watch the rerun of the regular season finally which was Sioux Falls vs. Fargo.
            I just noticed Fargo has a good YouTube channel with highlights of some of the games;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-RkKJWy7dY
            Last edited by dogtagger; 04-17-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post
              I just noticed Fargo has a good YouTube channel with highlights of some of the games;

Very cool. There is a lot of info out there, I'm just not great at mining it all. So post what you find. I find it enjoyable to see how future black bears play.

One thing I have noticed lately is Drobot's play is picking up. Has 5 goals in the last 9 games. Hopefully he keeps that momentum going during the playoffs.

Another thing you will find is Fargo YouTube is only showing their team in its best light. So for example, in the game you gave link for you will notice there are no good highlights for the Stampede or any of Dawe making good plays. But it's their channel so this is understandable.

Comment

Originally posted by dogtagger View Post

Great play tonight, JSS has a goal, Drobot with a goal, Dawe with an assist... So far

Comment

Great play tonight, JSS has a goal, Drobot with a goal, Dawe with an assist... So far
                  Drobot plays all end of the ice. He is a great penalty killer too. 200 ft player.

Tenacious bulldog. He will easily be a fan favorite at Alfond.
                  Last edited by BlackI; 04-18-2018, 01:56 AM.

Comment

If I understand this correctly, Thiessen is the only MJHL player ranked in the final central scouting ratings...
                    http://www.mjhlhockey.ca/pistons-thi...ntral-scouting

As DogTagger pointed out, you can find Fargo highlights on YouTube, here are highlights from last night's game. Schmidt-Svestrup goal is difficult to see because he redirected a point slapper in mid slot area... Drobot had a goal and an assist.
                    https://youtu.be/t9QInEfLHNg

Comment

Theissen now has 0.941 save percentage and 1.64 goals against average in the playoffs to put his team up three games to two in the MJHL finals.

Virden had a chance to cut the lead to one, but Matthew Thiessen made his best of the playoffs as he lay sprawled out on his back and robbed a Virden player with his glove.

“He gives us a chance to win every night,” Wilson said of Thiessen. “He made that big save, and we just fed off that.”
                      http://www.steinbachpistons.ca/pisto...game-5-victory

Dawe scored two goals last night in an OT loss where Sioux Falls got knocked out of USHL playoffs. He is tied for team lead in scoring in playoffs with 3g 2a for 5 points in 3 games.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                        Theissen now has 0.941 save percentage and 1.64 goals against average in the playoffs to put his team up three games to two in the MJHL finals.

http://www.steinbachpistons.ca/pisto...game-5-victory

Dawe scored two goals last night in an OT loss where Sioux Falls got knocked out of USHL playoffs. He is tied for team lead in scoring in playoffs with 3g 2a for 5 points in 3 games.
                        I originally envisioned Dawe starting the year on the third line, but he might bump Shea down to the third line and start on the second.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                          I originally envisioned Dawe starting the year on the third line, but he might bump Shea down to the third line and start on the second.
                          I don't know, but it is fun to throw line ups out there. Dawe appears to be a crafty gifted playmaker and scorer, so it is hard to imagine him on the 4th line. Seems like the type you need to match up with talent that can take advantage of his playmaking.

I thought maybe Shea would be a good third line center. Here is what I think could be a nice line up.

Fossier/Pearson/Tralmaks
                          Schmidt-Svestrup/Doherty*/Dawe
                          Westerlund/Shea/Robbins*
                          Drobot/Pieper*/Smith

Reserves: Housakos/Holesinsky*/Perez*/Quinlivan*/Hock*/Poppalardo*

Michel*/Keeper*
                          Binner/Holway
                          Butala/Muehlbauer*

Reserves: Kleiboer*/VMT/Spicer/Becker*/Herner*

Swayman

Reserves: McGovern*/Mundinger*

Comment

Next week recruits Renwick and Morrissey will be playing in the Telus Cup and games can be viewed here: https://hockeycanada.ca/en-ca

Schedule can be founder here: https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/na...stats/schedule

Monday 3:30 pm
                            Tuesday: 7 pm
                            Wednesday: 3:30 pm
                            Thursday: 12 pm
                            Friday: 12 pm

I will only be able to watch Tuesday night more than likely. So if others watch and want to give insights it would be appreciated by most I am sure.

Comment

If you go to the 1 minute mark you can see a great save by Thiessen in game 5 of the MJHL series the other day.

https://youtu.be/rGL2a76Mc7c

Game 6 is tonight, and Steinbach can win the championship with a win tonight.

Comment

Thiessen backstops Steinbach to MJHL championship...
                                https://pembinavalleyonline.com/loca...l-championship

Comment

Working...
                                X