Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,801

    HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Let the best time of the year begin! NU was clearly the better team when the two teams played 2 weeks ago but UConn came back with an impressive home and home sweep of UNH last weekend. Ruck had his best weekend of the year against UConn and then reverted back to his old ways against Maine. He obviously needs to be better if NU is going to go on any kind of run. Should be a fun weekend, my gut says NU in 3.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS


    MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Brighton, MA
    Posts
    1,367

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Unfortunately we likely won't get many UConn fans here to talk trash or whatever. IIRC they all went over to a UConn-themed forum, similar to the Scout forums some schools have. I remember seeing that in their season thread.

    NU sweeps. Hopefully Mad Dog shows why he has that nickname and rides them in practice for the ****-storm of a game that Saturday was. Team defense and goaltending need to be laser sharp. ZAR needs to get the puck more than he did Saturday. The only way NU loses this series is if they shoot themselves in the foot
    "Never tell me the odds"

    https://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

  3. #3
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    23,009

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by NU_Husky View Post
    Unfortunately we likely won't get many UConn fans here to talk trash or whatever. IIRC they all went over to a UConn-themed forum, similar to the Scout forums some schools have. I remember seeing that in their season thread.

    NU sweeps. Hopefully Mad Dog shows why he has that nickname and rides them in practice for the ****-storm of a game that Saturday was. Team defense and goaltending need to be laser sharp. ZAR needs to get the puck more than he did Saturday. The only way NU loses this series is if they shoot themselves in the foot
    to be honest there were never that many over here to begin with...

    needless to say, I don't want any part of the winner of this series so I'm pulling for a 10-12 upset
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Agganis 115
    Posts
    378

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Game day!

    I may drop by Matthews for one of the games this weekend - always a fun time.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Brighton, MA
    Posts
    1,367

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    As of Tuesday Cav still had not declared who was in net for UConn. Huska is a better goaltender by both stats and the vaunted eye test. Nichols has been roasted by NU every time they've played. So I'm hoping he gets the start
    "Never tell me the odds"

    https://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Brighton, MA
    Posts
    1,367

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Hot View Post
    Game day!

    I may drop by Matthews for one of the games this weekend - always a fun time.
    If you go I expect you to be loud and cheerful for the proper Huskies
    "Never tell me the odds"

    https://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

  7. #7
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    6,006

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by Patman View Post
    to be honest there were never that many over here to begin with...
    And the ones that do exist are a special kind of stupid*.

    *edit - excluding RSTuts... he seems like he is a good guy.
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 03-03-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  8. #8
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    ...Ruck had his best weekend of the year against UConn and then reverted back to his old ways against Maine. He obviously needs to be better if NU is going to go on any kind of run....
    One thing we've learned from the combined 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons: It all depends on goaltending. If RR can play just an average D1-caliber game, the real Huskies should have little trouble with the fake huskies. On the flip side, the strength of the fake huskies is goaltenders. Two of them, although NU has pretty much lit up Nichols. That's why I'd expect to see Huska tonight.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Agganis 115
    Posts
    378

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by NU_Husky View Post
    If you go I expect you to be loud and cheerful for the proper Huskies
    Just this round



    Still bitter about getting shut out at Agganis

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Let's go NU, give us the privledge of watching ZAR at least one more weekend!

  11. #11
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,808

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    I was hoping for more fireworks but I'll take what we got despite the drama of the last 81 seconds. But before we pillory RR, let's remember that UConn was skating 6 on 4 when the first goal was scored. Second (non-) goal was off a Wookie fire drill in front. If a couple of NU clearing shots were able to find the open UConn net, the final would have been 3-0 or 4-1. Closer than I'd like but I've seen much worse.

    I thought the defense pretty much took care of business. UConn had a few offensive spurts but nothing sustained. NU was able to sustain O-zone play but couldn't finish anything off, other than Collier's goal. Hope they put it away early tomorrow.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    I agree with Split-N, I thought this was one of the better defensive games NU has played this year. It was a pretty stress-free game to watch as a fan, UConn never really felt dangerous with the puck, save for Tage Thompson (that kid is a beast)

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    340

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Agreed regarding the D. Been thinking that it's been better for weeks now. Ruck was OK, solid even. How many tenders would have been able to handle that sizzler that Thompson rang off the post? Not many. The 'goal' that made it 3-2, Thompson was clearly offside, so it never really happened, right? Don't forget that with a little luck NU could have had a few quick goals tonight. Two posts and a couple of close calls went UConn's way.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,412
    considering the only goal he gave up last night was on a 6x4.. that i'll take. he (Ruck), was good and will need to be better than good tonight as opponent will be playing for their season. Ruck & team should go in with the same mentality.
    Go NU

  15. #15
    Broken Glass
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    251

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    I thought uconn was a real pesky team and gave the NU offense trouble getting going all night. They have some real talented players and Huska is a good goalie. I think
    We sweep but not an easy series by any means.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,839

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by Tilldog40 View Post
    I thought uconn was a real pesky team and gave the NU offense trouble getting going all night. They have some real talented players and Huska is a good goalie. I think
    We sweep but not an easy series by any means.
    Yeah, we hate UConn as they always seem to have Lowell's number for some reason. We prefer to see the NU version of the husky next week unless somehow UNH, Maine, or Amherst pull out a miracle. Just don't want any part of UConn.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

    Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

    Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,412
    Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Yeah, we hate UConn as they always seem to have Lowell's number for some reason. We prefer to see the NU version of the husky next week unless somehow UNH, Maine, or Amherst pull out a miracle. Just don't want any part of UConn.
    We'd love to see you guys. Great venue & atmosphere.
    Gotta get through this wknd (and quick) hopefully.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Posts
    3,839

    Re: HE Playoff Time: #9 UConn @ #8 NU...Husky on Husky Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by northeastern View Post
    We'd love to see you guys. Great venue & atmosphere.
    Gotta get through this wknd (and quick) hopefully.
    Watch out for UConn, especially Tage Thompson the Riverhawk Killer. Wouldn't be surprised if they win tonight and you go to a third game tomorrow.
    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
    Frozen Four - 2013

    Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

    Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,412
    Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Watch out for UConn, especially Tage Thompson the Riverhawk Killer. Wouldn't be surprised if they win tonight and you go to a third game tomorrow.
    I wouldnt be surprised either.. backs against the wall, 1 gm type W or go home scenario (from UConn viewpoint).. that's what playoff hockey is all about. Hope my team has fun.. let chips fall where they may. Go NU

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by riverchief1 View Post
    Yeah, we hate UConn as they always seem to have Lowell's number for some reason. We prefer to see the NU version of the husky next week unless somehow UNH, Maine, or Amherst pull out a miracle. Just don't want any part of UConn.
    NU is 4-3-2 against Lowell since 2013 which is definitely better than the record against BU or BC in that time. I think Lowell is the team to beat in this HE tournament but we seem to play Lowell pretty well, and I think it'd be a good series.

    Even just looking at this year, both games were really exciting games with the home team getting the game stolen from them in the 3rd period. Getting ahead of myself, still work to do for NU.
    Last edited by Thiessen'sBetter; 03-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •