Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota at Penn St. - Feb. 17-18, Let's get ready to Rummmble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota at Penn St. - Feb. 17-18, Let's get ready to Rummmble!

I thought the Gophers came out with strong energy straight out of the gate and showed some mental toughness tonight to overcome penalty issues. I really liked the way the D protected the net, blocked a ton of shots and their breakouts looked very clean.

Rem Pitlick's got some serious wheels and looks like a future Gopher star. Congrats to Justin Kloos with a big goal to pull away from Penn St. in the 3rd and ties Neal Broten for total points putting him in rare air with an elite class of Gopher players. Schierhorn's save in the waning minutes was huge to seal the W. Nice win!

Comment

Although I never lost confidence because of the way we were playing I was agonizing a little after a defensive breakdown led to the Penn State goal that tied it 3-3. At that point I was thinking that all of the near-misses - great chances that we didn't convert - would come back to haunt us. No worries, we made a couple of great plays to pull away, a great start to the weekend. Hoping for a repeat performance tomorrow night.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Hang the scarf!
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Although I never lost confidence because of the way we were playing I was agonizing a little after a defensive breakdown led to the Penn State goal that tied it 3-3. At that point I was thinking that all of the near-misses - great chances that we didn't convert - would come back to haunt us. No worries, we made a couple of great plays to pull away, a great start to the weekend. Hoping for a repeat performance tomorrow night.
          I don't think that 3rd goal by PSU was due to a D breakdown. It was a 3 hole shot from the point from Kris Myllari through three Gopher bodies trying to block it.

Comment

The point man was given too big of a gap to collect and shoot the puck. 2 Gophers moved to block it way too early, way too far from the shooter. The third ran into them and went down flailing.
            Looking back at it, it was pretty comical. At the time it was agonizing.

But good result tonight. I was going to be at least somewhat contented with a tie given the early 5-min major and having to shuffle the forwards pretty much all game long. But once again the PP comes through with a big goal. Great to see.

The 2 things that can win 1-and-done tournaments for any team is a hot PP and a hot netminder. The PP is definitely there, hopefully it stays on track for the rest of the season. Netminding has been moving in the right direction.

Comment

Well, just for the record those weren't Gopher D though attempting the blocks. It was Reilly, Vinnie and Bristedt. Bristedt coming off the bench didn't actually collide with anyone, he went down on his own but timed his shin guard block a little too early. Actually Vinnie and Reilly showed a lot of guts with Reilly down on one knee for a full torso block and Vinnie standing straight up with a full body block.

The D were Zuhlsdorf and Collins and they actually did their job. The Penn St. player came off the wall, Collins backchecked, while Zuhlsdorf took his position in front of the net, then came the pass to Myllari. In terms of distance to Myllari, Reilly was a actually a only stick length away when the shot was released and almost blocked it with his stick. It looked like Reilly and Vinnie may have even screened Schierhorn a bit.

Comment

Rem's HATTY highlights

Comment

Pitlick coming out party. Rem is a heatseeking missile on the breakaway...nearly unique weapon we haven't had here in some time. Bet he's not regretting his decision to leave Muskegon.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Note to OSU fans, you won't find a single gopher fan on here* trying to defend that hit. It was dirty and Gates should hit the showers early** for it.

*-if there are, I'm confident they will be called out by Minnesota fans.
                    **-Easy Sandusky, these kids can actually defend themselves.
                    But he pulled up just as much as the OSU guy did?????? And the guy turned before Gates got there....

But seriously, I was surprised they overturned the Kloos goal. It looked like it was likely a little high, but it was very close and I didn't think the video evidence was clear enough to overturn the call on the ice.

And what do people think of the goalie interference call?

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                      Pitlick coming out party. Rem is a heatseeking missile on the breakaway...nearly unique weapon we haven't had here in some time. Bet he's not regretting his decision to leave Muskegon.
                      I like that he got one shortly after announcers were talking up the two freshman on PSU. Would love it if he sticks around a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        But he pulled up just as much as the OSU guy did?????? And the guy turned before Gates got there....

But seriously, I was surprised they overturned the Kloos goal. It looked like it was likely a little high, but it was very close and I didn't think the video evidence was clear enough to overturn the call on the ice.

And what do people think of the goalie interference call?
                        I think in both cases the call on the ice should have stood. Instead the officials decided to play God and call Kloos' goal a no goal. Good thing it didn't matter.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

The Kloos goal was clearly a high stick. I had no issues with them overturning it.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I didn't think Kloos' goal was CLEARLY a high stick at all. Very well may have been, but it didn't look like they had enough video evidence to overturn it. Didn't bother me though, because the disallowed goal for PSU should have been good.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              I didn't think Kloos' goal was CLEARLY a high stick at all. Very well may have been, but it didn't look like they had enough video evidence to overturn it. Didn't bother me though, because the disallowed goal for PSU should have been good.
                              Agree on both counts.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                                I like that he got one shortly after announcers were talking up the two freshman on PSU. Would love it if he sticks around a few years.
                                What I find amazing about Rem is 3-4 years ago he was list at 5'3" 125 lbs. when he committed to the Gophers. Then suddenly the "devour your Wheaties" phase and then the growth spurt. Now he's listed at 5'10", 205. If his talent trajectory keeps escalating to a top six pro upside, I suspect the Predators may call and he may forgo his senior year.

Although I agree, with his high octane speed I hope he does a "Kyle Rau" and stays for full four years.

Comment

Working...
                                X