UVM - ME x2/3
    MC - UNH x2/3
    NU - CT x2/3
    CT - @NU x2/3
    UNH - @MC x2/3
    ME - @UVM x2/3
    UMA - @PC x2/3

Fun facts:

As seems to happen more often than you'd think, teams facing off on the final weekend play again in the first round of the playoffs. This time it's PC hosting UMA again after the H/H this weekend, the latter at PC.

Prior to tonight, I recall only one other 3WT in the final HE standings. That was when 09-10 BU/ME/UML tied for 3rd in perhaps the closest results ever in HE, certainly from 3-9 - which were separated by four points and included a different 2WT for 6/7 as well.

In a statistical oddity, BC rode a 8-0-1 league start to run wire-to-wire without ever trailing in the league standings... but is the 3 seed. They were swept by the other two teams tied for 1st and split with the other Bye team. Plus, BU beat them in the non-conf Beanpot opener. That gives the Eagles a 1-6-0 record against the rest of the top four.

One thing that is true about ND that is not true of the other three Bye teams - or, in fact, most of the rest of the league? They lost to UMA. UMA only took 5 points in league play (also beat MC and tied CT in back-to-back games), but their 5-4 win over the Irish could arguably be what kept ND from at least a share of first place.

---
    Quarterfinal peek:

If the first round goes according to seed, the next round would have:

ND hosting PC. They played last weekend with a tie coming after a ND win - but that first game was tied into the early 3rd. Also, PC's schedule begins to look like a palindrome.

BC hosting UVM. They also played last weekend and had two ties.

BU hosting MC. MC swept BU in a Tue-Fri series immediately after BU was named #1 in the country.

UML hosting NU. These two played two close, late-decided games on the two Fridays before the Beanpot and split.

That makes the BU/MC pair on Jan 24 & Jan 27 the least-recent matchup, by only a few days compared to UML/NU's Jan 27 & Feb 3 pair. Still, all of these matchups happened within the last month-ish, so the teams should be fresh in each other's minds.

The higher seeds have a collective 2-3-3 record in these pairings.

---
    PWR report:

Union and Cornell tied each other tonight, which allowed victorious BU to move up to 7th and idle UML to move up to 6th. Union fell to 8 and Cornell is at 10.

Even though they lost, ND rose up to a tie for 10 with Cornell (11th after TB), while PC dropped from winning a tie at 11 to 12th outright - despite their victory. All of this was, I'm sure, helped by Wisco (now 13), SCSU (14), OSU (15) and NoDak (16) all losing tonight.

ND wins all the pairs below and loses all the pairs above, while PC takes the Cornell pair above them, but loses to both ND and BC, who is below, due to league results H2H.

UML and BU split H2H, and match COP - which makes sense since they tied in the league, plus each won an extra non-league game against a HE opponent (BU over BC, and UML over UMA). UML currently leads in RPI, but by virtue of their higher seed, they will play the mathematically lesser opponent in the quarterfinals. These two could match results after their Bye, but BU could move ahead because of facing a tougher opponent on paper. Also, BC's results will weigh more heavily on BU because of the extra game, as UMA's will for UML. If they meet, as the 1 and 2 seeds, that would have to be in the HE final. That game would likely decide the pair as the H2H win and RPI boost should surpass the RPI drop of the loser, even if one plays a three-game QF series (absorbing a loss) and the other wins a 2-0 QFs.

UVM's loss drops them into the tie for 19th with idle BC.
    The reviews keep coming in about Todd's Posts:
    cambam - Now, that Todd. He is not a moron. Wow. Nice.
    smyler3 - It's starting to get buried in this ... silliness, but Todd makes a lot of good points in his post below.
    MAV - Todd... I followed this post all day long, and you're dead on with your thoughts on [this topic] and the whole discussion...
    Scarlet - What he said.
    brick royl - Wow, what a post. :eek
    TA Jen - As always Todd, you make a good point
    Puck Swami - Todd: Good post. I really hadn't thought about [what you said]... Learn something new every day on these boards...
    Bob Gray - Very well said Todd.
    Puck Swami - Todd, a fine post - as we've come to expect from you.
    David Manning of the Ridgefield Press - Todd's last post? I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!
    Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune - In my will, I bequeathed both of my thumbs to Todd's posts with rigor mortis locking them permanently in the "Up" position!

Comment

Re: Hockey East - Bye, Home, and Road: by the numbers - 2016-17 edition

Seems crazy that you can end up one game's worth of points off the top of the table and end up having to host an extra series.

Comment

Originally posted by BUPhD View Post
        Seems crazy that you can end up one game's worth of points off the top of the table and end up having to host an extra series.
        Even crazier is 09-10 when NU finished two games' worth of points out of 3rd and missed the post-season completely. And, of course, HE sent three teams to the NCAAs that year - but they were the 1, 2, and 8 seeds.

So UVM, who was only one league point better than a team that missed the HE tourney made the national tourney - as an at-large bid.
        Last edited by Todd; 02-26-2017, 12:38 PM.
        smyler3 - It's starting to get buried in this ... silliness, but Todd makes a lot of good points in his post below.
        MAV - Todd... I followed this post all day long, and you're dead on with your thoughts on [this topic] and the whole discussion...
        Scarlet - What he said.
        Puck Swami - Todd: Good post. I really hadn't thought about [what you said]... Learn something new every day on these boards...
        David Manning of the Ridgefield Press - Todd's last post? I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!
        Gene Siskel of the Chicago Tribune - In my will, I bequeathed both of my thumbs to Todd's posts with rigor mortis locking them permanently in the "Up" position!

Comment

if we see all the higher seeds advance (and igles win 2g to 1 over uvm)...... it could be GQ leading his boys into the garden to help jrrrry tie the record

scarlet has been praying for this for some time now.
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            if we see all the higher seeds advance (and igles win 2g to 1 over uvm)...... it could be GQ leading his boys into the garden to help jrrrry tie the record

scarlet has been praying for this for some time now.
            At least if BU makes the Garden, it won't be a lost evening for Mookie as the nachos there aren't bad and Jasmine will be in the house.
            Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
            Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
            Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd View Post
              Even crazier is 09-10 when NU finished two games' worth of points out of 3rd and missed the post-season completely. And, of course, HE sent three teams to the NCAAs that year - but they were the 1, 2, and 8 seeds.

So UVM, who was only one league point better than a team that missed the HE tourney made the national tourney - as an at-large bid.
              Well that's a quirk of the PWR and out of conference stuff. Heck, this season, one of the co-champions (BC) looks to need a serious run in the conference tourney if they want to make the the national tourney (as does the 6th place team, Vermont) where 4th and 5th are currently above the cut line albeit don't want to lose out.

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                At least if BU makes the Garden, it won't be a lost evening for Mookie as the nachos there aren't bad and Jasmine will be in the house.
                puhleeze.

those nachos don't come close to comparing vs the tsong's.
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Well that's a quirk of the PWR and out of conference stuff. Heck, this season, one of the co-champions (BC) looks to need a serious run in the conference tourney if they want to make the the national tourney (as does the 6th place team, Vermont) where 4th and 5th are currently above the cut line albeit don't want to lose out.
                  All true.

Funny that one year the 8 seed gets an at-large, and a different year, a team that was never out of first place may need the auto-bid to get in.
                  Scarlet - What he said.

Comment

When only 2 points separates 1st-5th place and only 5 points separates 1st-6th place, these "quirks" become less surprising.

Comment

Bump to get all the Asian spam off the front page.

Comment

Very strong showing by the road teams tonight

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Very strong showing by the road teams tonight
                          We came within two minutes of ALL FOUR teams being shutout. Unbelievable...what a joke. Let's put EVERY Division 1 team in the playoffs in every league next year.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            We came within two minutes of ALL FOUR teams being shutout. Unbelievable...what a joke. Let's put EVERY Division 1 team in the playoffs in every league next year.
                            What about the occasional Cinderella story that comes into play alll college sports? Where is your spirit? This isn't the NHL

Comment

Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
                              What about the occasional Cinderella story that comes into play alll college sports? Where is your spirit? This isn't the NHL
                              Sorry. Cinderella story from the 8th seed is one thing. Not the 12th. What's the point of the regular season? How would you like it if your team finished say, fifth in the league and lost a series to a 2-18 team? (and don't say, "Well, that's the way it goes.") Or are you one of those "everyone gets a participation ribbon" people?

It's all about the money. Of course, the laugh is on them, at least at NU because the place was practically empty tonight. Good. If enough people don't buy into it maybe it will go away (doubtful). And I'm the biggest culprit, forking over $59.95 to watch these debacles...

Comment

Tonight's attendance:

NU - 1,228
                                PC - 1,876
                                MC - 2,549 (sellout)
                                UVM - 3,110

I'm not sure if any of the schools are on break.

Comment

Working...
                                X