• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gender Studies I

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Breaking: Republicans Continue War on Book-Learnin'

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/10/ameri...ntl/index.html
    I'm happy for "they."

I love that the searches were obviously driven by people trying to win bets on whether that meaning was in the dictionary.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Also... I'm happy to educate you on my journey and path. Most of my trans siblings will also educate you on their journey and path.

What we cannot do is be the spokesperson for all trans, and we can't be your Trans Wikipedia (Transapedia?).
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

2 days in a row now a coworker and I have been addressed as "ladies". It just doesn't sit well with me. For some reason it feels demeaning.

My workplace is trying to be a more supportive and diverse space and one way is by encouraging people to put their pronouns in their e-mail signature. I don't like she/her, but have responded to it my whole life. Can I claim ze/zey even if I identify as female, I just dislike being classified by my gender?
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
          2 days in a row now a coworker and I have been addressed as "ladies". It just doesn't sit well with me. For some reason it feels demeaning.

My workplace is trying to be a more supportive and diverse space and one way is by encouraging people to put their pronouns in their e-mail signature. I don't like she/her, but have responded to it my whole life. Can I claim ze/zey even if I identify as female, I just dislike being classified by my gender?
          If you're not okay with she, you can use something else.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

A couple months ago, the local brewery female servers and our group (regulars) had a discussion about "miss," "ma'am," etc. Ohhhhhhh they hate those terms. They actually preferred something like "hey, you!" b/c miss and ma'am were demeaning, like they weren't paying attention to the customers, or assumed their marital status or age. It was really odd.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

as long as they don’t call you needledlck
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                as long as they don’t call you needledlck
                It's usually, "Hey, a*hole!"
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post

Serious question, would it bother you (a member of a pair or group of women which I may or may not know well) to be addressed as “guys”? I never know if I’m screwing up.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I’m not going to answer FOR wT, but this comes up so often at the engineering women’s group I’m in.

The consensus was guys is generally ok, not necessarily preferred, unless someone says, “Don’t call us/me guys”

Anyways, I think it always depends.

ETA: Generally it comes up when someone says it accidentally. So maybe don’t lead with it
                    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 12-21-2019, 12:23 PM.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I've been trying to avoid "guys" and use "folks" or "everyone" instead.

Comment

I use we / us / ours whenever I can be remotely construed as being in the group. It finesses gender and underlines I am part of the team and a resource, not a martinet or judge.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I've been trying to avoid "guys" and use "folks" or "everyone" instead.
                          Pro tip: Don't substitute it with dolls.
                          the state of hockey is good

Comment

I hear Guys and Dolls is great.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                              Serious question, would it bother you (a member of a pair or group of women which I may or may not know well) to be addressed as “guys”? I never know if I’m screwing up.
                              It wouldn't bother me, but I'm weird. If it's a mixed group, some women might be offended being addressed as 'guys' because it may be as if you're not acknowledging their presence.

I think our language needs more gender neutral terms.
                              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                              7 B1G
                              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                              2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                                It wouldn't bother me, but I'm weird. If it's a mixed group, some women might be offended being addressed as 'guys' because it may be as if you're not acknowledging their presence.

I think our language needs more gender neutral terms.
                                Agree on 'guys'. I consider 'guys' to be sort of gender neutral, because I would refer to a group of women as 'you guys' without thinking twice. However, referring to a mixed group as 'boys' or 'gentlemen'... different case (think co-ed hockey team).

Comment

Working...
                                X