Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gender Studies I

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
    So what, exactly, is the definition? To me it sounds like it's when a man explains something to a woman that he assumes she doesn't know.
    The formal definition is that it's explaining in a way that is patronizing, but I don't think that captures it exactly, particularly for someone resistant to the concept.

I'll give it a shot. Note: you asked, so I'm not (at least intentionally) patronizing you.

Let's say you and I disagree on something. I try to remedy this disagreement not by stating my supporting argument but by reiterating my opinion and explaining each of the terms. Mansplaining is the rhetorical equivalent of trying to communicate with somebody who speaks Chinese by still speaking English to them only slowly and more loudly. It misses the point and the assumptions that underlie the behavior are ignorant and kinda offensive. The fact that it's unconscious and the speaker doesn't intend to be an as-s, and would probably be mortified if he realized what he was doing, make it that much more depressing.

If you have doubts whether this is an empirically observed phenomenon, ask any woman. Particularly women who are more accomplished, but all women to some extent, have to navigate this. It's just another male behavior (constant sexual objectification sheesh give it a rest buddy I'm not interested, having their fragile egos threatened by a confident and decisive woman and getting called and treated as a b-tch for it, etc) that makes women's lives more difficult than ours -- Ginger having to dance in high heels backwards.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-18-2016, 06:57 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

http://jezebel.com/becoming-ugly-1789622154

I have no idea what to make of this or the comments section.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Mansplaining is definitely an issue women in the hockey community have taken issue with. I gotta imagine some of the women who post here have experienced it first hand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

That's a little much for me.
          I tried to say earlier in this thread that most of us women knew exactly what it meant to be "mansplained" (and this was right after I'd just gone through a terrible car buying experience).

Comment

Yowza. Whole lot going on there.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
              Yowza. Whole lot going on there.
              I couldn't even finish reading it

Comment

I read a lot of articles on Jezebel to try and gain a better understanding of feminism and gender issues. Then every so often they post an article like this and I really get put off from it. Maybe that's a terrible place to go to read about those topics. I have no idea.

Are there a lot of women who feel like what this article describes? I really hope not, especially since they seem to paint (with a fairly wide brush) a picture that somewhere between most and all men are monsters. Maybe that's true, because again, I have no idea.
                Code:
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                  I guess this summarizes everything I need to know about the article.
                  Code:

Comment

You’ve accurately described the day to day humiliation of living inside a woman’s body. The good men are still trying to force us to believe we’ll be ok, which feels like an even greater assault than those actively assaulting us.
                    I... I don't know...

This seems to convey there is some type of battle, yet no way to win. What's the fight about, why is there even a battle, if those on your side are considered worse than the enemy?
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I'm glad I'm not the only one.
                        And I'm a woman.

Comment

And I'm a woman.
                          I cry like one.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            I cry like one.
                            I just roar once in a while. /oldreference
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I read a lot of articles on Jezebel to try and gain a better understanding of feminism and gender issues. Then every so often they post an article like this and I really get put off from it. Maybe that's a terrible place to go to read about those topics. I have no idea.

Are there a lot of women who feel like what this article describes? I really hope not, especially since they seem to paint (with a fairly wide brush) a picture that somewhere between most and all men are monsters. Maybe that's true, because again, I have no idea.
                              I don't think many women feel that extreme. I mean I'm a flaming liberal female and I can't read that crap. That's the equivalent of watching Fox News and feeling informed

Comment

I don't think many women feel that extreme. I mean I'm a flaming liberal female and I can't read that crap. That's the equivalent of watching Fox News and feeling informed
                                What I found more disturbing than the story was the comments all seemed to echo the author's (I haven't read them all nor do I intend to, but there are hundreds). Some of them were worse. One commenter even said she recommended the readers get fat to become invisible.

There's probably a better place to get perspective. You're probably right.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X