Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gender Studies I

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    I don't see the point in spreading an opinion that you yourself believe "spectacularly do[es] not matter," but I guess if you want to prove your academic liberal wokeness level by continuing to do so, I can't stop you.
    Wha---?

I know the Dartmouth game is Friday but chill bra.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"singular they is improper written prose."- People who claim they're "Grammar Nazis."

APA Style (which is what I use when writing papers for my MSW) disagrees with you.
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

APA also states that there should only be one space between sentences. They’re monsters.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          APA also states that there should only be one space between sentences. They’re monsters.
          TWO SPACES, GODDAMMIT. See? Right here. Two spaces.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

AP Style and Chicago Style also mandate singular they.

The only major style guide to not mandate singular they is MLA. I should know... I keep up with this stuff.
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Day 1 of HRT.

Now.

I don't understand how anyone can tell the difference and still say I'm just a confused boy.

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                AP Style and Chicago Style also mandate singular they.

The only major style guide to not mandate singular they is MLA. I should know... I keep up with this stuff.
                "They/them/their is acceptable in limited cases as a singular and/or gender-neutral pronoun, when alternative wording is overly awkward or clumsy. However, rewording usually is possible and always is preferable. Clarity is a top priority; gender-neutral use of a singular they is unfamiliar to many readers. We do not use other gender-neutral pronouns such as xe or ze."
                Bolded for emphasis. Just because 90% of the population is lazy and bad with language doesn't mean the other 10% should be.
                Last edited by unofan; 01-19-2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  "They/them/their is acceptable in limited cases as a singular and/or gender-neutral pronoun, when alternative wording is overly awkward or clumsy. However, rewording usually is possible and always is preferable. Clarity is a top priority; gender-neutral use of a singular they is unfamiliar to many readers. We do not use other gender-neutral pronouns such as xe or ze."
                  Bolded for emphasis. Just because 90% of the population is lazy and bad with language doesn't mean the other 10% should be.
                  And you are entitled to your opinion. However, If a non-binary person says their pronouns are they/them, do your best to honor that.
                  Last edited by MissThundercat; 01-19-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

If your new boss told you, "John Majors, nice to meet you. However, please only refer to me as 'Johnson McF##kface in the future'" what do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      If your new boss told you, "John Majors, nice to meet you. However, please only refer to me as 'Johnson McF##kface in the future'" what do you do?
                      I avoid all office parties where I might have to speak to his wife.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I took some of the harmful rhetoric I keep hearing, and flipped it.

"If I were a doctor, and a cis person needed my help, I wouldn't. It goes against my religion."

"Oh, you need to have your gallbladder removed? That's now a cosmetic surgery and you'll have to pay out of pocket."

"I don't think cis people should be allowed to use the bathroom they identify with in public. What if they rape someone?"

"We should send cis people to conversion therapy. Being cis isn't normal."

"My son just came out as cis. I threw him out of the house."

"A few of us LGBT folks are lobbying the city council to keep straight and cis books under lock and key. You should need parental consent to access those."

"Parents of cis children are sacrificing their children to Molech."

"Cis people come into my store all the time, and I've denied service to all of them, because it goes against my religion."

"I should be able to harass and fire my cis employees. They creep me out."

"Cis people in their pants ruining sports. It isn't fair to the other competitors."

There are many more things I could say. I just want people to imagine the tables were turned. If you are cis, how would you like to hear that you're a rapist just because you're using the bathroom? How would you like to be told you could be fired because you're cis? How would you like constantly hearing you're ruining sports, even though the data on that agrees with you? Answer is, you wouldn't. You would try to ignore it and live your life, but the harmful rhetoric will wear on you and leave you feeling depressed and unwilling to leave your house

Comment

I'd remove the gallbladder line, that's something that would cause the average reader to get lost in the weeds, completely missing the larger point.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Point noted for later.

Comment

Last night I learned that even with an ID that says female, blood work that reads under 10 nmol/L testosterone for over a year with willingness to be tested more than every 6 months, and zero desire to change my gender back to male... I still need USA Triathlon approval to compete as a woman in USAT sanctioned events. Keep fighting, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                Last night I learned that even with an ID that says female, blood work that reads under 10 nmol/L testosterone for over a year with willingness to be tested more than every 6 months, and zero desire to change my gender back to male... I still need USA Triathlon approval to compete as a woman in USAT sanctioned events. Keep fighting, right?
                                If this is a blanket set of rules for all levels (neighborhood, summer town festival tri up to Olympic/World Championships), I think you have to consider that sports are a unique area when it comes to this. Biology/Physiology can and will be a legit difference and is an area that will likely be exploited in the name of winning at the upper levels for sure. Hopefully USA Tri can bifurcate their rules regarding this between "elite" competition and "for fun" competition, becoming much more lax for the latter.

As for local competition, just race yourself/the clock and whomever is the next person in front of you (assuming that this is a mass start event for all). You will know your time and how it compares to the rest of the field. You can see where you finished regarding sex, age, and performance classes.
                                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                                X