Gender Studies I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gender Studies I

Latinx atleastmakes some sense because Latino is a gender-specific term. Even though it’s widely accepted as an inclusive term until the Wokelympics came along.

Womyn and womxn is just dumb and done out of spite.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      How is this stuff ever going to seem normal if we keep making up special (separate but equal) words for it?
      I understand the want to be "x" or "y" (Latinx, womyn) to point out the differences. As an interim step to point out difference and inequality it's influential. It makes people think. But in the end it'll be marginalizing. The goal is to have the same regard as the whole but still be unique (yourself); you can't be regarded as an co-equal of the whole if you insist on being uniquely separated from it by name. So to sum up: to get regarded and seen as unique but still co-equal it's a great move, but to stay self-labeled could continue to force folks to the margins.

Mentioning separate but equal words: I'm tiring of it when it comes to crimes. "Hate" or "special circumstances" crimes labels downplay the core crime. Murder is murder. I don't care why you did it; if you did it you're going away.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
        I understand the want to be "x" or "y" (Latinx, womyn) to point out the differences. As an interim step to point out difference and inequality it's influential. It makes people think. But in the end it'll be marginalizing. The goal is to have the same regard as the whole but still be unique (yourself); you can't be regarded as an co-equal of the whole if you insist on being uniquely separated from it by name. So to sum up: to get regarded and seen as unique but still co-equal it's a great move, but to stay self-labeled could continue to force folks to the margins.

Mentioning separate but equal words: I'm tiring of it when it comes to crimes. "Hate" or "special circumstances" crimes labels downplay the core crime. Murder is murder. I don't care why you did it; if you did it you're going away.
        Can I assume you're also against laws which enhance penalties for crimes against cops?

Comment

The main takeaway here is, it aint up to us. Our opinions spectacularly do not matter.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Yes, we get it. Men can’t talk about the English language. Or women. Or anything.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The main takeaway here is, it aint up to us. Our opinions spectacularly do not matter.
              And yet, you continue to provide yours.

Comment

Here’s the thing. We can talk about the words and their spellings. What we don’t get an opinion on is whether these groups get an opinion or how they should feel.

Your argument is reductive and doesn’t move the needle. Which is what matters. Sorry Kep.
                Code:

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  And yet, you continue to provide yours.
                  And?
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Yes, we get it. Men can’t talk about the English language. Or women. Or anything.
                    I weep for our oppression.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Sorry. That was flippant. My other reply wasn’t.
                      Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        And?
                        I don't see the point in spreading an opinion that you yourself believe "spectacularly do[es] not matter," but I guess if you want to prove your academic liberal wokeness level by continuing to do so, I can't stop you. I think it'd be far simpler to just shut up like I mostly have on this thread, and leave it at that.

But maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                          I don't see the point in spreading an opinion that you yourself believe "spectacularly do[es] not matter," but I guess if you want to prove your academic liberal wokeness level by continuing to do so, I can't stop you. I think it'd be far simpler to just shut up like I mostly have on this thread, and leave it at that.

But maybe that's just me.
                          Can I drag you into this pit? What are your thoughts? You are, as Kepler had said in the past, one of the (maybe) four or five voices of reason on this board. I know you’ve said in the past that you aren’t completely on board with using ‘they’ as singular. I assume that’s your law background coming out? Similarly, strict adherence to rules and norms was beaten into me by my professors so I’m not terribly woke on this issue.

As always, curious about your thoughts.
                          Code:

Comment

I think women is fine, but I say that as someone born female so I don’t want to speak for others and cause offense.

Comment

As a trans woman, "women/woman" doesn't really bother me, but as my generation says, "you do you, boo."
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                Can I drag you into this pit? What are your thoughts? You are, as Kepler had said in the past, one of the (maybe) four or five voices of reason on this board. I know you’ve said in the past that you aren’t completely on board with using ‘they’ as singular. I assume that’s your law background coming out? Similarly, strict adherence to rules and norms was beaten into me by my professors so I’m not terribly woke on this issue.

As always, curious about your thoughts.
                                I personally hate womyn, womxn, and the like. Partly because I simply think those terms are stupid, partly because the use of such terms is a complete unforced error politically made by otherwise intelligent people (pretty much all of whom are liberal academics from New England or the Pacific Northwest). You're simply opening yourself up to having a significant portion of the population roll their eyes at you and dismiss everything you say after that, and it's completely unnecessary. It's not like 'woman/women' is gender's version of the N-word, for Christ's sake.

Kepler is right that language evolves and words can change their meaning over time. But what he forgets is that many words don't change over time, and history is littered with fads that disappeared a generation or two later. Certain feminists have been trying to normalize womyn since the 60s, and it still hasn't caught on 60 years later. I'm not holding my breath that it will in the next 60, either.

'They' as a singular simply grinds my gears as grammar Nazi. It's a third person plural pronoun. I realize people use it as a singular all the time, especially in speech when referring to collective singulars (How'd State do today? They won), but in formal written prose, it's not a singular pronoun. Sorry.

I realize that in 40 years when I'm in the retirement home, this may make me the same as my southern grandmother who referred to black people as 'colored' till the day she died. It's almost inevitable that we'll all have at least one or two such things (if not many, many more).

Which is why intent matters. A ****** referring to Amber as a man repeatedly is a ****** because he is being intentionally disrespectful. And that's regardless of the words actually used (or not used). My grandmother referring to people as colored, while groan inducing, was a lesser offense because there wasn't harmful intent in it.

If society really wants to go down a route of having an infinite number of terms for every individual characteristic out there, it'll happen whether I like it or not. But people better grow some really thick skin, then, because it will lead to more and more instances where the wrong term is used, often for innocent reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X