Gender Studies I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gender Studies I

I was raised from birth to fear men, to never trust or expect them to protect me

That comment really bothered me. Didn't make it to the comments. The above repulsed me. I was raised to respect women, and IF NEEDED, to protect them. Not because I am a man and need to protect a woman, but because if another fellow human being was in danger, you protect them. Sure, I admit, some instinct kicked in once in a while "I am man, need to protect my woman," but I feel that was nature, not nurture. I didn't consciously think "Man is greater than woman."

For the respect part, it was more a now-out-dated chivalry thing, based on respect. The woman enters a building first, you hold the door open. You pull the chair for a woman. You walk on the street side to protect her from drivers splashing puddles, that sort of thing.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      What I found more disturbing than the story was the comments all seemed to echo the author's (I haven't read them all nor do I intend to, but there are hundreds). Some of them were worse. One commenter even said she recommended the readers get fat to become invisible.

There's probably a better place to get perspective. You're probably right.
      I scan jezebel and deadspin each day...I saw the title of that article at first and said *** and kept scrolling. It's not the end all be all

Comment

I read a lot of articles on Jezebel to try and gain a better understanding of feminism and gender issues. Then every so often they post an article like this and I really get put off from it. Maybe that's a terrible place to go to read about those topics. I have no idea.

Are there a lot of women who feel like what this article describes? I really hope not, especially since they seem to paint (with a fairly wide brush) a picture that somewhere between most and all men are monsters. Maybe that's true, because again, I have no idea.
        Jezebel has staked out its territory. Usually I enjoy reading it. Some things disturb me, some things I vehemently disagree with. As for Comments, remember that most Commenters on any site are dumb, but Jezebel has its share of good ones too.

There's a lot of casual, thoughtless sexism out there. This site is devoted to correcting the course, at the risk of being too far in the other direction for some people always and for all people sometimes. It has its place, and there just aren't that many accessible corners of the net where you can be in that conversation.

Like anything else, if it's the only thing a person reads that's unhealthy, but if it's one of many things it's valuable. The dose makes the poison.

FWIW, I didn't find the particular piece all that strange or scary. Louis C. K. has a great line: "women are crazy to go anywhere with a man. We're the thing in your life most likely to hurt you. It's as if when I wanted to go out on a date I had to take a bear. Figure out whether I trust this particular bear. But always be on the lookout for warning signs."

That's gotta be exhausting. Now add to it all the social customs and institutions that try to ignore or actively undercut women who report bear attacks, and it becomes angering. I believe this is something everyone can get.
        Last edited by Kepler; 12-30-2016, 07:10 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

FWIW, I didn't find the particular piece all that strange or scary.
          Obviously it got a bit weird at points but I do agree with a lot of the overall message.

Comment

I didn't find the piece strange or scary, maybe ill advised? Poorly thought out?

I get the crux of it, that being a "pretty" woman makes for a difficult life, but to assume the opposite, that being "ugly" makes you invisible, somehow leads to an easy life is grossly ignorant.

I've learned a bit about the thought process of women like the writer over the last few months with the US Women's Soccer Team CBA s*show. It's hard to have an actual debate because you will most likely get screamed at or called a misogynist because you disagree.

I get the viewpoint, the world is quite s***ty to women, but maybe lay off the hyperbole.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              I get the crux of it, that being a "pretty" woman makes for a difficult life, but to assume the opposite, that being "ugly" makes you invisible, somehow leads to an easy life is grossly ignorant.
              I think you should read the piece again. That is as far from what it says as one can get without a deliberately perverse reading, and the only way I can see someone intelligent like you getting that from it is if you skimmed.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I didn't find the piece strange or scary, maybe ill advised? Poorly thought out?

I've learned a bit about the thought process of women like the writer over the last few months with the US Women's Soccer Team CBA s*show. It's hard to have an actual debate because you will most likely get screamed at or called a misogynist because you disagree.
                I've been having debates with these women for the last 30 years; the last 17 in my home with my Womens Studies professor wife. I've never been screamed at or called a misogynist, and I delight in disagreeing and just generally being a contrarian as-shole as anybody who follows our political threads knows. Actually I was called a misogynist once at a party at Harvard, because I was at Stanford and knew people at Hoover and that apparently qualified me as a sexist and misogynist in the eyes of this person. About ten other women immediately came to my defense -- radical feminists all.

In my experience, nobody tells better jokes about man-hating feminists than other feminists, and nobody rolls their eyes more when Jezebel goes off the rails than they. The hamfisted and repeated haw haw that the people in this movement lack a sense of humor is so pathetically untrue it would be funny if it weren't, you know, kinda proving their whole point about casual and unreflective sexism.
                Cornell University

Comment

I've been having debates with these women for the last 30 years; the last 17 in my home with my Womens Studies professor wife. I've never been screamed at or called a misogynist, and I delight in disagreeing and just generally being a contrarian as-shole as anybody who follows our political threads knows. Actually I was called a misogynist once at a party at Harvard, because I was at Stanford and knew people at Hoover and that apparently qualified me as a sexist and misogynist in the eyes of this person. About ten other women immediately came to my defense -- radical feminists all.

In my experience, nobody tells better jokes about man-hating feminists than other feminists, and nobody rolls their eyes more when Jezebel goes off the rails than they. The hamfisted and repeated haw haw that the people in this movement lack a sense of humor is so pathetically untrue it would be funny if it weren't, you know, kinda proving their whole point about casual and unreflective sexism.
                  You must be the life of the party
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    You must be the life of the party
                    Hey, I was just trying to get a drink...
                    Cornell University

Comment

My response is usually thus.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

My response is usually thus.
                        That's great.

Comment

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/32...e-blaze-report

Tom Lahren suspended for saying, "You know what? I’m for limited government, so stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well"

I guess having your vagina under your own control is way too controversial for The Blaze.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/32...e-blaze-report

Tom Lahren suspended for saying, "You know what? I’m for limited government, so stay out of my guns, and you can stay out of my body as well"

I guess having your vagina under your own control is way too controversial for The Blaze.
                            I swear we just posted near simultaneously in separate threads about this. I went with the "bad people on the right" thread.

Anyway, Pinkie Pie your reaction?

I agree, couldn't have happened to a better person.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I volunteered to hand out pronoun pins at work as part of one of our inclusion teams.

I picked out all of the Them/They pins.

Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Excellent.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X