Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Ice Breakers Tournament - Who Will Survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016 Ice Breakers Tournament - Who Will Survive?

Very entertaining game so far. OSU with the quick score and then more quick scoring opportunities that just missed but from there it seemed Denver composed themselves and kept Ohio State on their heels the rest of the 1st.
    More balanced between them in the 2nd I thought but OSU got some good scoring chances and made it happen.
    One period to go and it should be intense!

Comment

WOW! Was that a finish!
      I don't know how Denver didn't score with the extra attacker when around a minute left OSU couldn't line change and were dead on their skates with Denver easily beating them to the puck for chance after chance.
      No shame for how Denver played tonight. I also liked the play by play guys who called it unbiased except for the yelling when Denver took a good shot, I can give them that.
      My one fear was realized though, too many Ohio State penalties which could have been deadly.
      On to Air Force. If we win that and we don't jump into at least the middle the rankings will be a serious injustice.

Comment

LetsGoDU ‏@LetsGoDU 8m
        8 minutes ago

Well we got the matchups we expected tomorrow, just you know, in the opposite games we expected.
        Anticipated DU vs BC game should be fun if that's any consolation. No, No, it isn't.

Seriously, Buckeyes outplayed DU for a long stretch in the 1st and almost all of the 2nd.

Go Air Force!
        Last edited by vizoroo; 10-07-2016, 11:26 PM.
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
          Anticipated DU vs BC game should be fun if that's any consolation. No, No, it isn't.
          Still you guys played a solid game controlling it most of the game. Ohio State's style isn't usually to control, we tend to have intense spurts where we score.

Comment

So what's with this crazy shootout ruling? Is this a special shootout rule just for this tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              So what's with this crazy shootout ruling? Is this a special shootout rule just for this tournament?
              Wow, what a wild game. Starrett was clearly the tourney MVP and the Falcons were fortunate to survive a VERY good OSU team. I thought we'd lose in OT, frankly. It's going to be a great Air Force Hockey Season for 16-17!! Go Birds!

Comment

Originally posted by 81Stalagian View Post
                Wow, what a wild game. Starrett was clearly the tourney MVP and the Falcons were fortunate to survive a VERY good OSU team. I thought we'd lose in OT, frankly. It's going to be a great Air Force Hockey Season for 16-17!! Go Birds!
                My biggest disappointment with this game isn't the conclusion but that the powers that be there made no arrangement for streaming it!

Comment

Ya can someone give me an unbiased breakdown of what happened in the shootout and what the confusion was? I wasn't able to watch, I was just rolling the game tracker.

Either way, Congrats to Air Force. They definitely deserved the hardware in this tournament. I'm confused that the championship game officially ended in a tie. Is that how it is for other in-season tournaments (Florida, GLI etc.)? I know the Beanpot plays 20-minute OT periods until there's a winner. Even if you score in the 3rd OT you still get a win on your record, not a tie. I assumed all tournaments used those rules, the same ones they use during the NCAA tournament.
                  Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                  University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                    Ya can someone give me an unbiased breakdown of what happened in the shootout and what the confusion was? I wasn't able to watch, I was just rolling the game tracker.

Either way, Congrats to Air Force. They definitely deserved the hardware in this tournament. I'm confused that the championship game officially ended in a tie. Is that how it is for other in-season tournaments (Florida, GLI etc.)? I know the Beanpot plays 20-minute OT periods until there's a winner. Even if you score in the 3rd OT you still get a win on your record, not a tie. I assumed all tournaments used those rules, the same ones they use during the NCAA tournament.
                    I believe that after regulation in a independent tournament, the tournament people can set their own rules for what counts as a win, even though officially for NCAA purposes it counts as a tie so the award for a winner can be presented.
                    Congrats to Air Force, you made your fans proud as I'm sure you will make all of us proud by your service to our country. God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                      I believe that after regulation in a independent tournament, the tournament people can set their own rules for what counts as a win, even though officially for NCAA purposes it counts as a tie so the award for a winner can be presented.
                      Ya that's why I'm confused, because in the Beanpot it counts as a win for NCAA purposes as well, even after 5 minutes. I wonder if the Beanpot just gets some sort of special privilege. Does anyone know how the GLI does it? I imagine they would be the same way.

Comment

The Beanpot has 20 minute sudden death OT, not 5-minute. No ties.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          The Beanpot has 20 minute sudden death OT, not 5-minute. No ties.
                          Exactly. I had assumed all tournaments were played the same way. The Icebreaker however only used the 5-minute then tie rules you would see in any regular season game.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                            Exactly. I had assumed all tournaments were played the same way. The Icebreaker however only used the 5-minute then tie rules you would see in any regular season game.
                            I believe the Beanpot is the only tournament (GLI????) that plays 20 minute OTs.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                            X