This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Gaudette is probably the most naturally gifted offensive player that they now have. On that I can agree. Frankly, I don't believe that he plays 200'. I believe that he needs to develop more of his defensive zone game. I also believe that he needs to get a little grittier and use his size better.

I believe that when Kurker returns that the top two lines are going to be as good as any in D1. The question will be what the next two lines looks like. Fillipe - after a hiccup in the first Bentley game - appears to be better than past years' 3rd and 4th line players still with the team as is Jozifek.

Truth be told, I'd like to see Fillipe moved up to the second line. Griffin needs to be in there on the 3rd or 4th line. I'd like to see a buzz (speed) line with Jozifek and Lerario (two gifted scorers in the USHL) with either Collier or Rosenthal (speedsters) centering.

I mentioned before that this may be the most talented team that they have had in close to 10 years. He needs to take advantage of that. He knows that he's losing ZAR and JStevens and there is a good chance that both Nolan and Gaudette will be signing in the Spring. The newer kids need to get in there and gain experience.
    Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 10-19-2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• I agree.. let's leave the 'he's our best player' analogy out.. we have several excellent players & that's good.

Leave it at that.. it's a team sport.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
        Gaudette is probably the most naturally gifted offensive player that they now have. On that I can agree. Frankly, I don't believe that he plays 200'. I believe that he needs to develop more of his defensive zone game. I also believe that he needs to get a little grittier and use his size better.

I believe that when Kurker returns that the top two lines are going to be as good as any in D1. The question will be what the next two lines looks like. Fillipe - after a hiccup in the first Bentley game - appears to be better than past years' 3rd and 4th line players still with the team as is Jozifek.

Truth be told, I'd like to see Fillipe moved up to the second line. Griffin needs to be in there on the 3rd or 4th line. I'd like to see a buzz (speed) line with Jozifek and Lerario (two gifted scorers in the USHL) with either Collier or Rosenthal (speedsters) centering.

I mentioned before that this may be the most talented team that they have had in close to 10 years. He needs to take advantage of that. He knows that he's losing ZAR and JStevens and there is a good chance that both Nolan and Gaudette will be signing in the Spring. The newer kids need to get in there and gain experience.
        What gives you the idea that Kurker will be promoted to the second line upon his return? He was on the 4th line at the start of the year and that means limited PT. If he had remained at bu, he would have picked up his degree and would probably be part of the workforce. I can't think of any reason that his return will boost the offense. Jozefek, Griffin and hopefully Pecararo (who was originally ticketed for the LW spot on that line) are better options.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
          What gives you the idea that Kurker will be promoted to the second line upon his return?

Putting aside the issue that I never stated that Kurker would be on the second line upon his return, he was on the 3rd line with Collier and Griffin versus Acadia. I stated that I would like to see Fillipe put on the second line with Gaudette and Sikura. If Jozifek is still injured, it's probably a good bet that Kurker WILL be on the 2nd line but I do hold out hope that they move Fillipe up into that slot.

The point was that the marginal players who have rotated into the lineup in Kurker's absence will no longer be in the lineup.

I kept Pecs out of the conversation simply because until he suits up he isn't part of the conversation.

As for the blueline, Cecere is eligible to dress this weekend.

Comment

What gives you the idea that Kurker will be promoted to the second line upon his return?
            I see what I did...my initial response should have read like this:

I believe that when Kurker returns that the top two lines are still going to be as good as any in D1. The question will be what the next two lines looks like.

Comment

Assuming Jozefek is back for the ASU games, it seems to me that right now those two lines will consist of in no particular order Collier, Kurker, Griffin, Filipe, Lerario and Pond. There is enough talent and experience there to put together very good 3rd and 4th lines. Hopefully, Madigan can come up with the right combinations this weekend as the HE schedule begins the following weekend.

Comment

I'm hoping Lincoln stays on the second line honestly. My ideal situation is probably the same top six from Bentley Game 2, then:
                Kurker-Filipe-Jozefek
                Collier-Pond-Lerario

I mostly just want Filipe to play center at some point here. Stevens, Collier, and Pond are all graduating after this year and who knows whether Gaudette will be back. He's our 2C of the near future, if not our 1C. Let him get some time there now instead of throwing him in the deep end next year.
                Last edited by TheRevengeance; 10-19-2016, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                  I'm hoping Lincoln stays on the second line honestly. My ideal situation is probably the same top six from Bentley Game 2, then:
                  Kurker-Filipe-Jozefek
                  Collier-Pond-Lerario

I mostly just want Filipe to play center at some point here. Stevens, Collier, and Pond are all graduating after this year and who knows whether Gaudette will be back. He's our 2C of the near future, if not our 1C. Let him get some time there now instead of throwing him in the deep end next year.
                  +1 to all that was said here
                  "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                    Kurker-Filipe-Jozefek
                    Collier-Pond-Lerario

I, too, believe Griffin would flourish on Gaudette's line. They have a long and prosperous history golng back to Thayer. That line could use another shooter as it already has Sikura as a setup man. IMO Jozefek's passing skills could really help Kurker, more than hey would help Felipe. (After he scored Saturday, the PA announcer called him "Felip-pay. He will never make that mistake again!)

Lerarrio, I suspect, was recruited to take on Pond's duty as our "disruptor" with more offensive capability. He seems to be slower than Pond, but that may be a result of his trying to adjust to the speed of the game. I thought his spot as RW4 would be taken by Paddy Schule, but he's been a health scratch, AFAIK, through five games. He's the only forward who has not seen the ice. Perhaps this weekend will bring an opportunity for Schule as well as for Barry or Fiorentino and the other goalies.

Revengeance: Is there a reason that you put both Jozefek and Kurker on their off-wing?
                    Last edited by HHound; 10-19-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

No partcular reason, I wasn't thinking about it too hard. Jozy was always listed as a RW in juniors off memory and has continued playing RW here so I put him there and moved on.

Comment

Lerarrio (sic), I suspect, was recruited to take on Pond's duty as our "disruptor" with more offensive capability.
                        I love the heart that Pond brings to every stride he takes but, bless his heart, he falls down 3 times a shift. He wasn't much of a scorer in the USHL but he was a scrapper.

Lerario is a very smooth skater who has excellent offensive instincts and, like Pond, was a scrapper in the USHL. He'll be first or second liner next season. Pond is never going to be anything more than what he is.

Huskies have some USHL scrappers. ZAR was a fighter. Pond and Cockerill were fighters. Lerario was a fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                          I love the heart that Pond brings to every stride he takes but, bless his heart, he falls down 3 times a shift. He wasn't much of a scorer in the USHL but he was a scrapper.

Lerario is a very smooth skater who has excellent offensive instincts and, like Pond, was a scrapper in the USHL. He'll be first or second liner next season. Pond is never going to be anything more than what he is.

Huskies have some USHL scrappers. ZAR was a fighter. Pond and Cockerill were fighters. Lerario was a fighter.
                          Glad I'm not the only guy who noticed that. I noticed it for the first time last season. You'd think in 4 years of college play he would have found a way to rectify it
                          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                            Putting aside the issue that I never stated that Kurker would be on the second line upon his return, he was on the 3rd line with Collier and Griffin versus Acadia. I stated that I would like to see Fillipe put on the second line with Gaudette and Sikura. If Jozifek is still injured, it's probably a good bet that Kurker WILL be on the 2nd line but I do hold out hope that they move Fillipe up into that slot.

The point was that the marginal players who have rotated into the lineup in Kurker's absence will no longer be in the lineup.

I kept Pecs out of the conversation simply because until he suits up he isn't part of the conversation.

As for the blueline, Cecere is eligible to dress this weekend.
                            Curious, if Cecere played for CC last year, what part of the eligibility rules allows him to play this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                              Speaking of Quinnipiac, they are currently out of the Top 10 pairwise. I refer you all back to my post stating that they were not a Top 10 team - when they were ranked #2.

Something to keep in mind about ASU, Robby Baillargeon transferred there and is eligible to play.

Madigan needs to start riding his top two lines like they owe him money. The lull in both Friday's and Saturday's games are inexcusable. This team is the best team that I have seen since 2009 and I believe that this team would beat that team. This is where Mad Dog steps up and shows that not only can he recruit talent but he can motivate it as well.
                              You're referencing PWR after two weeks? When some teams haven't even played a game yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnieb View Post
                                Curious, if Cecere played for CC last year, what part of the eligibility rules allows him to play this season.
                                He played in the first 4 games for CC last season. Then, for whatever reason, he left the team and school, and returned to the USHL. He sat out the rest of the CC season and 4 games of the NU season and paid his debt to the NC$$.

Comment

Working...
                                X