This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Pre-season is over. Time to find out if the media (NU = #5) knows what it's talking about or if the coaches (NU = #2) know things other people don't. Here's to a comment-worthy season.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

After that game, I have nothing but respect for Simon Fraser and how they played us last year, especially after losing to PC by 9 the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
      After that game, I have nothing but respect for Simon Fraser and how they played us last year, especially after losing to PC by 9 the night before.
      You know that NU played Acadia which is one of the top programs in the CIS?

Comment

Yes, I do. I called them a top team and said on Saturday morning that NU could very well lose. The point was that SF got absolutely blown out on back to back nights and still played the game the right way to the end, while Acadia was already gooning it up from puck drop on day 1. They're obviously a better team than SF was, I was here when they beat us two years ago too, but I have infinitely more respect for SF regardless of how bad they are.
        Last edited by TheRevengeance; 10-03-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Yes, I do. I called them a top team and said on Saturday morning that NU could very well lose. The point was that SF got absolutely blown out on back to back nights and still played the game the right way to the end, while Acadia was already gooning it up from puck drop on day 1. They're obviously a better team than SF was, I was here when they beat us two years ago too, but I have infinitely more respect for SF regardless of how bad they are.
          I feel like all the CIS coaches had a meeting last week before all the games against NCAA schools and made a unilateral decision to be as goonish as possible. The BU-PEI game was awful, the Merrimack game was nuts....I don't think it's been as bad as it was across the board this past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I feel like all the CIS coaches had a meeting last week before all the games against NCAA schools and made a unilateral decision to be as goonish as possible. The BU-PEI game was awful, the Merrimack game was nuts....I don't think it's been as bad as it was across the board this past weekend.
            Personally, I find that these preseason games are getting worse every season in terms of the Canadian goon factor. It's been progressing and building up year after year.

Can DI teams just play a scrimmage against a local DIII team?
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              Personally, I find that these preseason games are getting worse every season in terms of the Canadian goon factor. It's been progressing and building up year after year.

I've always liked this idea. NU could play Wentworth, they already play at Matthews and it'd be a big deal for the DIII kids.
              2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
              2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                I've always liked this idea. NU could play Wentworth, they already play at Matthews and it'd be a big deal for the DIII kids.
                Absolutely. No shortage of teams here that would be able to make it work. I think the Canadian teams are tough to play against and that makes it somewhat worthwhile but losing a player to the thuggery is not worth it. Mutually beneficial IMO. Not sure if the NCAA allows it though?
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Absolutely. No shortage of teams here that would be able to make it work. I think the Canadian teams are tough to play against and that makes it somewhat worthwhile but losing a player to the thuggery is not worth it. Mutually beneficial IMO. Not sure if the NCAA allows it though?
                  Any game against a DIII opponent would count against the 34 game schedule and would cause the D1 team to lose an OOC game. If the NCAA changes the rule, I'm 100% behind it. Otherwise...I'd rather skip a game against the goon squads and just scrimmage/practice for the weekend
                  "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

DIII first practice date isn't until late October or early November, so they are not an option for an early October exhibition game.

Comment

Okay...your reference ("that game") was vague...carry on...

Comment

A few random unrelated thoughts--

1) What would stop NU (or any D1 team) from hosting another D1 team and calling it a scrimmage? That would mean it wouldn't appear on the schedule, wouldn't be widely publicized, and might even be closed to spectators. AFAIK, hoops already does something like this.

2) Hits that involve driving an opponent head first into the boards or glass are penalties (usually majors) in almost every league, including (AFAIK) the CIS leagues. In egregious cases, it can be a DQ or match penalty for deliberate injury or deliberate attempt to injure.

3) NU did well to come out of Saturday night without a 2016 version of Steve Quailer.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I believe scrimmages against D1 teams also count against the 34 game limit. Someone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my current understanding. The Ivies scrimmage against each other because they don't play 34 games anyway so they don't care what the NCAA has to say about it. The only option I've heard proposed by an actual coach that doesn't seem to run afoul of the NCAA is to have a split squad game, which Dennehy brought up after their New Brunswick adventure Saturday.
                          Last edited by TheRevengeance; 10-03-2016, 05:29 PM.

Comment

G'luck to the Huskies against Q this wknd. Thinking of driving down for the Sat gm. Hoping we can bring a better PP for this series as it did not look great last wknd. Will need every goal we can get.. Bobcats with the high ranking & record to boot last several yra.

Ruck & Theut both looked good & team will need to stay disciplined & out of the box.. take it from there.
                            Go Huskies
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            Always bullish on the future.
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

..also for anyone going fri/ and or sat.. what a nice job they have done with that arena.. great atmosphere as well.
                              GO NU HOCKEY
                              Always bullish on the future.
                              We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X