2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

I think it may be a bit of shtick for Lambert. He seems to enjoy getting a rise out of North Dakota fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
      OK, back to the new WCHA. I have a question for NMU fans. If Lakeview Arena is 200x85, why was Berry Events Center built at 200x100?
      I believe Berry was built to also be a US Speed Skating short track training center, thus, Olympic ice. I'm sure one of the NMU people can correct me if I'm wrong.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        I believe Berry was built to also be a US Speed Skating short track training center, thus, Olympic ice. I'm sure one of the NMU people can correct me if I'm wrong.
        That's exactly it. 200x100 are the dimensions specified for that.
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          I think it may be a bit of shtick for Lambert. He seems to enjoy getting a rise out of North Dakota fans.
          Who doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
            OK, back to the new WCHA. I have a question for NMU fans. If Lakeview Arena is 200x85, why was Berry Events Center built at 200x100?
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            That's exactly it. 200x100 are the dimensions specified for that.
            Yes, it was built for the USOEC Short Track Speed Skating program to use as well as for the hockey and basketball teams.

Back in the late 90's, NMU commissioned studies for renovations needed at Lakeview Arena in order to continue advancing the hockey program. Because Lakeview is owned by the City of Marquette, and NMU was only renting the facility, the City of Marquette balked at the costs of the improvements. It was around the same time that NMU was looking at building a speed skating track on the west side of the PIEF. And NMU was also looking into renovating Hedgecock since part of the building was unused.

The costs of adding onto the PIEF, renovating Hedgecock, and renovating an ice arena that wasn't their own caused NMU to find that building a multi-purpose venue on campus to house all these sports would be better cost effective than patching the old buildings.

So that lead to the building of the Berry. The rink size was chosen as 200x100 to accommodate speed skating. It also helped that half of the college rinks being built at the time were being built to international or hybrid standards.
            (Seventeen new rinks from 1989 to 1999. Nine non-NHL. SCSU '89, UAF '90, Minnesota '93, UMass '93, MSU-M '95, UNH '95, CC '98, Wisconsin '98, NMU '99)

As for the fan accommodations, the Berry was originally designed to be slightly larger and much deeper, allowing those entering the building to walk directly onto the concourse, but site conditions prevented the realization of the original plans and the design was changed to better fit the area available. This caused the slight half flight of stairs needed to go from the entry to the concourse.

What the fans didn't see thanks to the scarcely decorated precast concrete walls, was the amenities that were built for the team. Dedicated weight/workout rooms for the hockey team (so the athletes could stay in the building and not need to fight for the PIEF equipment). Large team conference rooms to study video, and a spacious lockerroom that (at the time) rivaled some NHL lockerrooms in 1999.

On the fan side, all they saw was a bland concrete building with awkward seats (which were adjusted to sit higher allowing more leg room in 2001), and the lack of a donor room and no booze sales caused locals to poo-poo the new building.

Side note, it's been 18 years. There is a generation of MQT locals who have never seen an NMU game at Lakeview, and there are some locals are still pi**ed with the BEC as a venue. Then again, those people are still pi**ed that the Palestra was torn down.

TL;dr: Olympic speed skating is the reason for the BEC's size.
            Last edited by aparch; 10-04-2016, 10:42 PM.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Yes, it was built for the USOEC Short Track Speed Skating program to use as well as for the hockey and basketball teams.

Back in the late 90's, NMU commissioned studies for renovations needed at Lakeview Arena in order to continue advancing the hockey program. Because Lakeview is owned by the City of Marquette, and NMU was only renting the facility, the City of Marquette balked at the costs of the improvements. It was around the same time that NMU was looking at building a speed skating track on the west side of the PIEF. And NMU was also looking into renovating Hedgecock since part of the building was unused.

The costs of adding onto the PIEF, renovating Hedgecock, and renovating an ice arena that wasn't their own caused NMU to find that building a multi-purpose venue on campus to house all these sports would be better cost effective than patching the old buildings.

So that lead to the building of the Berry. The rink size was chosen as 200x100 to accommodate speed skating. It also helped that half of the college rinks being built at the time were being built to international or hybrid standards.
              (Seventeen new rinks from 1989 to 1999. Nine non-NHL. SCSU '89, UAF '90, Minnesota '93, UMass '93, MSU-M '95, UNH '95, CC '98, Wisconsin '98, NMU '99)

As for the fan accommodations, the Berry was originally designed to be slightly larger and much deeper, allowing those entering the building to walk directly onto the concourse, but site conditions prevented the realization of the original plans and the design was changed to better fit the area available. This caused the slight half flight of stairs needed to go from the entry to the concourse.

What the fans didn't see thanks to the scarcely decorated precast concrete walls, was the amenities that were built for the team. Dedicated weight/workout rooms for the hockey team (so the athletes could stay in the building and not need to fight for the PIEF equipment). Large team conference rooms to study video, and a spacious lockerroom that (at the time) rivaled some NHL lockerrooms in 1999.

On the fan side, all they saw was a bland concrete building with awkward seats (which were adjusted to sit higher allowing more leg room in 2001), and the lack of a donor room and no booze sales caused locals to poo-poo the new building.

Side note, it's been 18 years. There is a generation of MQT locals who have never seen an NMU game at Lakeview, and there are some locals are still pi**ed with the BEC as a venue. Then again, those people are still pi**ed that the Palestra was torn down.

TL;dr: Olympic speed skating is the reason for the BEC's size.
              Excellent post aparch! Thank you!

Comment

The Boston Globe is out with it's forecast on Hockey East, so just fyi.
                https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...RGL/story.html
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  The Boston Globe is out with it's forecast on Hockey East, so just fyi.
                  https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...RGL/story.html
                  This list is just BU listed over and over again.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Sorry, boys, but I've got the feeling that we're not going to be of much help to the conference this year.
                    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                      This list is just BU listed over and over again.
                      You have to click on the blue text where it says, " Continue Reading".

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        Sorry, boys, but I've got the feeling that we're not going to be of much help to the conference this year.
                        I haven't paid much attention to WMU. They haven't given me much reason. But I've seen several of their guys in the USHL the last couple years, and that team has potential. I wouldn't be surprised if Allison is the leading Freshman scorer in the country this year.

Comment

Boy, we pooped the bed and hurt everyone's PWR tonight. Sorry, y'all. That was pretty hard to watch.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Just got back from the Sanford Center in Bemidji. BSU jumped out on BGSU 2-0 in the first then held on to get a 2-1 win. The Beavers had a lot of energy the first 30 minutes and seemed to dominate, but that turned around and the Falcons had their way; but just couldn't score. A Beaver sweep would be a good omen, but say the odds are no better than 50-50.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Boy, we pooped the bed and hurt everyone's PWR tonight. Sorry, y'all. That was pretty hard to watch.

GFM
                              We both lost by two field goals (Vikings fan).
                              Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Well the out of Conf record is going to bite us again if things don't change and fast.
                                Congrats to NMU getting a split but a tie the second game would have won the comparison. I thought Alaska played well in losing to the goofs not so much UAA. I Also saw the WMU vs Ferris games and nothing to write home about there. WMU was beatable, but Ferris couldn't.

Same for Tech vs Duluth, Duluth was on the ropes in the second game but Tech couldn't get it done. It makes the Mankato/ St Cloud games much more important and the UAF vs Omaha as well. We really need a few wins against teams who will have a winning record.

Comment

Working...
                                X