2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

The WCHA has 69 non-conference games this year, not including the one game between Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage.

27 Possible NCHC Games (0-2-0)
    25 Possible Big10 Games (0-0-0)
    8 Possible Hockey East Games (0-0-0)
    8 Possible Atlantic Hockey Games (0-0-0)
    7 Possible ECAC Games (0-0-0)

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-0-0)
    -2 at Connecticut
    -2 at St. Cloud State
    -vs. Massachusetts (Minneapolis, MN)
    -vs. Minnesota/Mercyhurst (Minneapolis, MN)

ALASKA (0-0-0)
    -at Alaska-Anchorage
    -vs. Minnesota (Anchorage, AK)
    -Canisius
    -Nebraska-Omaha
    -2 at Notre Dame

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (0-0-0)
    -Minnesota
    -Alaska
    -vs. Nebraska-Omaha (Fairbanks, AK)
    -vs. Canisius (Fairbanks, AK)
    -2 at Penn State

BEMIDJI STATE (0-0-0)
    -2 at North Dakota
    -2 with Princeton
    -at Minnesota-Duluth
    -Minnesota Duluth
    -vs. St. Cloud State (St. Paul, MN)
    -vs. Minnesota/Minnesota-Duluth (St. Paul, MN)

BOWLING GREEN (0-0-0)
    -Western Michigan
    -at Western Michigan
    -Ohio State
    -at Ohio State
    -2 at Miami
    -vs. RIT (Toledo, OH)
    -with Mercyhurst

FERRIS STATE (0-0-0)
    -Western Michigan
    -at Western Michigan
    -Michigan
    -at Michigan State
    -Michigan State
    -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh, PA)
    -vs. Boston College/Quinnipiac (Pittsburgh, PA)

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (0-0-0)
    -2 with Michigan State
    -2 at Michigan
    -2 at Nebraska-Omaha

MICHIGAN TECH (0-2-0)
    -2 at Minnesota Duluth L 6-0, L 4-3
    -2 at Michigan
    -2 at Michigan State
    -vs. Michigan (Detroit, MI)
    -vs. Western Michigan/Michigan State (Detroit, MI)
    -2 at Notre Dame

MINNESOTA STATE (0-0-0)
    -2 with St. Cloud State
    -Minnesota
    -at Minnesota
    -2 at Princeton

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (0-0-0)
    -2 vs. Wisconsin (at Green Bay)
    -2 at Wisconsin
    -2 with Nebraska-Omaha
    -vs. Colorado College/Cornell/Mercyhurst (Estero, FL)
    -vs. Colorado College/Cornell/Mercyhurst (Estero, FL)
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Looking for an explanation for this play.

In the WCHA conference call to start the season, supervisor of officials Greg Shepherd claimed that the referees have been instructed to enforce the rule book more strongly (as the SofO does every season in every league). That also once again placed special emphasis on hits from behind and to the head. With that in mind, watch the UAH-FSU highlights from Sunday and scroll to the 2:40 mark for the full speed replay of the Max McHugh goal (replay at 3:05).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkNv6I_UVUc

Dorantes takes 4 strides towards the crease and lines up Kestner for a mid-back cross check in the back, cleaning out his own goalie in the process. Kestner has no idea it's coming, and comes close to going head first into the post with Dorantes riding his back. According to the box score, there was no penalty assessed.

That's the kind of hit that can cause severe injury, and if I was Mike Corbett I'd be pretty ****ed off at the no-call. But if I was a Ferris fan, I think I might be just as upset - the Bulldogs have been labeled (rightly or wrongly) as a team who frequently gets involved in the dark side of hockey, and incidents like this can only add to the argument that it's accurate. I like my team to be tough, but not outwardly flat out dirty like that.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

In the WCHA conference call to start the season, supervisor of officials Greg Shepherd claimed that the referees have been instructed to enforce the rule book more strongly (as the SofO does every season in every league). That also once again placed special emphasis on hits from behind and to the head. With that in mind, watch the UAH-FSU highlights from Sunday and scroll to the 2:40 mark for the full speed replay of the Max McHugh goal (replay at 3:05).

Dorantes takes 4 strides towards the crease and lines up Kestner for a mid-back cross check in the back, cleaning out his own goalie in the process. Kestner has no idea it's coming, and comes close to going head first into the post with Dorantes riding his back. According to the box score, there was no penalty assessed.

That's the kind of hit that can cause severe injury, and if I was Mike Corbett I'd be pretty ****ed off at the no-call. But if I was a Ferris fan, I think I might be just as upset - the Bulldogs have been labeled (rightly or wrongly) as a team who frequently gets involved in the dark side of hockey, and incidents like this can only add to the argument that it's accurate. I like my team to be tough, but not outwardly flat out dirty like that.
        In past seasons, your post would result in an edit to the video posted on youtube. Make a phone call to the wcha ... just to ask about that play. Send a couple of emails to coaches with the league carbon-copied and they'll almost certainly edit/delete the offending action from the video thereby making it all good.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
          In past seasons, your post would result in an edit to the video posted on youtube. Make a phone call to the wcha ... just to ask about that play. Send a couple of emails to coaches with the league carbon-copied and they'll almost certainly edit/delete the offending action from the video thereby making it all good.
          your discussion on here is so productive.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Shoot, Kestner got taken down by Dorantes about :10 before that in behind the net with one that you could potentially call, too. God bless Kesty — 18 months ago, he wouldn't have recovered from that so quickly. I love it when a skinnier player ends up developing the grit to play at this level with guys who want to cream you if they can get away with it.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Every week coaches request that certain hits or calls be sent to the league office for review.
              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                your discussion on here is so productive.
                If you haven't seen the wcha delete edit their videos after some play became controversial then you're drunk far too often. Cut back on the booze.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                  If you haven't seen the wcha delete edit their videos after some play became controversial then you're drunk far too often. Cut back on the booze.
                  I agree Ferris has a reputation for a reason. Whether they edit videos or not doesn't mean they don't look at the play.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    Whether they edit videos or not doesn't mean they don't look at the play.
                    The point is ... the league is exclusively interested in keeping themselves from looking bad. They have no real interest in controversy ... they will address outrageous acts that cannot be denied. But if there is any argument as to whether "action X" was problematic then they'll essentially cover it up (though that phrase has excessively conspiratorial connotations). It happened plenty in the old WCHA and that has continued in the new WCHA. These guys in league office are self-involved hacks only interested in anything that benefits them (or at least doesn't harm them).

Comment

Week 1 results for BELOW show a big exchange between UAH and FSU, with the Chargers moving from "bad" to "mediocre".

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I saw a college hockey podcast on twitter which promoted itself as a national preview. The first thing the guys says is, " I'm Ryan Lambert". and true to form it was "HE all the way and everyone else is terrible. In fact why do they even play." ......He pretty much made fun of the whole of college hockey outside Boston. It was a complete waste of an hour. Though he did say BU was really good. Which everyone already knows.

Comment

I saw a college hockey podcast on twitter which promoted itself as a national preview. The first thing the guys says is, " I'm Ryan Lambert". and true to form it was "HE all the way and everyone else is terrible. In fact why do they even play." ......He pretty much made fun of the whole of college hockey outside Boston. It was a complete waste of an hour. Though he did say BU was really good. Which everyone already knows.
                          So in other words just like every other Boston homer for every sport, ever.
                          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            So in other words just like every other Boston homer for every sport, ever.
                            Well yes, but much worse. I mean jim Connelly is biased, but at least he doesn't actually make fun of everyone else. I should have known as soon as I heard his name.

Comment

I read what I thought was his entire story on We Read All Emails For The NSA (aka Marisa Mayer's Golden Parachute aka Yahoo) on how awesome BU is but then I realized that I only read the first half. EX-HAUST-ING! It was almost as long as War and Peace.

If I was his editor I would have told him to never turn in a story to me that long ever again.
                              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

OK, back to the new WCHA. I have a question for NMU fans. If Lakeview Arena is 200x85, why was Berry Events Center built at 200x100?
                                CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Working...
                                X