WCHA preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA preview

With the season starting in a little over the week, I thought it would be timely to get the "experts" take on the 2016-17 season. As we all know the Gophers are still on top until someone can knock them off. Thoughts on the favorites (Wisconsin and Minnie), can ND and Bemidji push the top two? Mankato seems to be ready to make some noise? UMD under the second year coach? Ohio State and St. Cloud better or worse then last year. Let's hear it.

Re: WCHA preview

Wisconsin voted #1 in the WCHA pre season poll. This should be of no surprise to anyone. They virtually have everyone back. Minnesota second is also no surprise, although I think there is a little chink in their armor this year. The rest of the pre-season poll is pretty predictable with ND at #3, UMD at #4, Bemidji at #5, St. Cloud at #6, OS and MS rounding out the bottom two. My thoughts are Bemidji could push for the #3 and #4 spots. I am not so sure Mankato won't move up a bit. I like what Harrington has done down there. The team improved as the year went on last year and he has brought in some nice recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
      Wisconsin voted #1 in the WCHA pre season poll. This should be of no surprise to anyone. They virtually have everyone back. Minnesota second is also no surprise, although I think there is a little chink in their armor this year. The rest of the pre-season poll is pretty predictable with ND at #3, UMD at #4, Bemidji at #5, St. Cloud at #6, OS and MS rounding out the bottom two. My thoughts are Bemidji could push for the #3 and #4 spots. I am not so sure Mankato won't move up a bit. I like what Harrington has done down there. The team improved as the year went on last year and he has brought in some nice recruits.
      Preseason WCHA ROTY is somewhat surprising that it is split between three forwards for the top two teams. I forgot about Jincy Dunne being a freshmen with missing last year so she has a very good chance of winning as well.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

http://thelantern.com/2016/09/ohio-s...ing-offseason/

Ohio State women’s hockey skates through challenging offseason

Comment

WCHA Predictions-

If I was a betting man I would say Wisconsin will not lose this year in league play, solid top to bottom. Gophers lost some big hitters including the assistant coach who will soon tap into the gopher recruiting pipeline. Gophers and Duluth will battle for 2nd and 3rd while ND maintains 4th or 5th. Bemidji, St Cloud, Ohio State, and Mankato will all end up with 6-7 wins each in league play by beating each other.

Comment

https://***********/WCHA_WHockey/sta...94741276397568

New rule for 2016-17 - players and officials must wear a helmet on all times when on the ice, except for during the national anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by brokentwig View Post
              WCHA Predictions-

If I was a betting man I would say Wisconsin will not lose this year in league play, solid top to bottom. Gophers lost some big hitters including the assistant coach who will soon tap into the gopher recruiting pipeline. Gophers and Duluth will battle for 2nd and 3rd while ND maintains 4th or 5th. Bemidji, St Cloud, Ohio State, and Mankato will all end up with 6-7 wins each in league play by beating each other.
              BOLD

Gopher fans will be trying to re-establish their bearings if we are battling with UMD for 2nd place at the end of the season!

I predict places 3-8 will be as competitive as ever. I understand the prediction of UW for first place. They deserve it. But I've got Minnesota with a respectable shot at the title. Goaltending is the big wild card for the Gophers.

I'm intrigued with Bemidji. Scanlan has shown good coaching chops and it will be interesting to see if they will be able to score enough to maintain the new heights they have attained in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                https://***********/WCHA_WHockey/sta...94741276397568New rule for 2016-17 - players and officials must wear a helmet on all times when on the ice, except for during the national anthem.
                It's the Butch rule, tragic.
                http://www.uscho.com/2016/03/25/wcha...g-head-injury/

Comment

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...B_OEM_ID=13500
                  Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Some interesting comments in the preseason coaches media teleconference: http://www.wcha.com/women/pres1617/201609/sep14wcw.php
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

WCHA Predictions-

I can't see the Badgers losing a game all season, I will be surprised if Desbiens even yields a goal.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                        I can't see the Badgers losing a game all season, I will be surprised if Desbiens even yields a goal.
                        Top notch sarcasm. Yeah, as good as the Badgers are, the WCHA is too deep to realistically think about running the table. Then throw in potential injuries and games where you are just off or an opposing goalie stands on their head. Wisconsin has been climbing the ladder the last couple of years. WCHA tourney title 2 years ago and WCHA regular season/tourney titles last year (in addition to mercifully ending the extended losing streak to the Gophers). This year is about the NCAA title.

Comment

WCHA Predictions-

I don't see UMD being in the same timezone as the rodents. I see the rodents and UW battling it out until the end for first like last year. UW's team d may not be quite so impregnable with 5 freshmen playing a lot. It may take some time for them to get efficient in the D system. ARD may have to hold the fort down for the first 2 months, though I don't expect UW to have any trouble scoring. ARD's numbers may not be as gaudy as last year due to the youth in front of her.
                          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I see Lisa Marvin is on the UND roster. I don't expect we'll see her in games but I know she's been skating for over a year and it's good to see her on the roster. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              I see Lisa Marvin is on the UND roster. I don't expect we'll see her in games but I know she's been skating for over a year and it's good to see her on the roster. I'd love to be wrong on this one.
                              she was at the WCHA tournament and you'd never guess the seriousness of the accident from the way she moved around and was STANDING unaided throughout the games.
                              she will play

Comment

Working...
                              X