Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Meanwhile somehow they keep finding more emails. Amazing. FBI Closes case, more emails.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by Rover View Post
      Sounds about right. Way too late for a pivot at this point and Trump is finding out he's got the same problem as every Gooper nominee. If he moderates an inch he loses the base. But if he doesn't moderate he's stuck at 40% of the vote.
      Depends what you mean by "loses." Base voters will be miffed when Trump takes a step back from his "kill all the coloreds" pledge, but miffed enough to stay home? Doubtful. But it will cut against the (probably erroneous) Trump assumption that there are millions of disaffected racists out there who if just given a purist candidate will miraculously appear on Election Day. (This was the same delusion that extreme liberals like moi had in the 80s).

The electorate is WYSIWYG. Candidates who think they're found a great untapped previously non-voting segment of the population who they can get off the couch and to the polls are fantasizing.

Trump's biggest problem is even if he moderates he is still a terrible choice. A lemon with a new paint job is still a lemon.
      Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2016, 08:16 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Meanwhile somehow they keep finding more emails. Amazing. FBI Closes case, more emails.
        This latest batch is 30. I write 30 emails at work before lunch. We are asymptotically approaching nullity but we will never reach it. On 11/8 they'll discover a 5-word sentence fragment that slipped between the copy machine and the espresso maker and the Repubs will claim THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE ONE THAT WILL INDICT HER!!!!111!1
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This pretty much happens every other cycle. Probably as old as the Republic save for George Washington who ran unopposed.
          Forgive me if I misunderstand your definition of "cycle", but 2008 and 2012 were won with massive "get out the vote for" actions.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

THE SMOKING GUN BABY!!!!!!

Regarding Trump, I don't think his base is as loyal as you think. They simply can stay home if they come to believe he's a sell out. These people are absolutely not interested in equivocating on immigration. Its a lightening rod issue, much like abortion is for anti-choicers. No, they aren't voting Hillary or Gary Johnson, but they might just say Fuk It All. The anti-free trade stuff is fine, but Joe Six-Pack wants dem darn foreeners out of his country dammit!
            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Forgive me if I misunderstand your definition of "cycle", but 2008 and 2012 were won with massive "get out the vote for" actions.
              2012 was as much anti-Romney/anti-GOP if not even moreso. In recent times I'd say 1984, 1992 and 2008 were "vote for" elections. 1996, 2000, and 2012 are little ambiguous. 1976, 1980, 1988, 2004 and now 2016 will definitely be "keep them out of the WH" elections.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                This latest batch is 30. I write 30 emails at work before lunch. We are asymptotically approaching nullity but we will never reach it. On 11/8 they'll discover a 5-word sentence fragment that slipped between the copy machine and the espresso maker and the Repubs will claim THIS IS IT, THIS IS THE ONE THAT WILL INDICT HER!!!!111!1
                They're trying to prove she lied to Congress. If they do I'm willing to bet they'll indict her. Surprised they haven't already.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  If Drumpf takes even a half step back the Palin Wing of his shaky coalition will destroy him. All he has is immigration and even softening a bit caused them to lose their lunch...if he backs down after meeting El Presidente the last bastion of money he has will walk away. Not to mention no one in the middle will all of a sudden trust him after a massive flip flop.
                  C'mon. The Donald will come back from Mexico with contracts asking the US to build a wall and a check from Mexico to pay for it. He'll also have a signed letter and YouTube video from El Presidente (in Spanish and English) asking all Mexico citizens to return to Mexico and then re-enter the US legally through the big, beautiful door. It'll be The Dealmaker's greatest deal ever.

And now I have a bridge for sale ...
                  The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Depends what you mean by "loses." Base voters will be miffed when Trump takes a step back from his "kill all the coloreds" pledge, but miffed enough to stay home? Doubtful.
                    Trump would really, really have to move to get the "get out the vote against Hillary" folks to stay home.

A lemon with a new paint job is still a lemon.
                    You can paint a turd pink, but then all you'll have is a pink turd.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Depends what you mean by "loses." Base voters will be miffed when Trump takes a step back from his "kill all the coloreds" pledge, but miffed enough to stay home? Doubtful. But it will cut against the (probably erroneous) Trump assumption that there are millions of disaffected racists out there who if just given a purist candidate will miraculously appear on Election Day. (This was the same delusion that extreme liberals like moi had in the 80s).

The electorate is WYSIWYG. Candidates who think they're found a great untapped previously non-voting segment of the population who they can get off the couch and to the polls are fantasizing.

Trump's biggest problem is even if he moderates he is still a terrible choice. A lemon with a new paint job is still a lemon.
                      The Palin Brigade? They will write someone in or stay home. They have no loyalty to Drumpf their loyalty sides with their racism
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

They're trying to prove she lied to Congress. If they do I'm willing to bet they'll indict her. Surprised they haven't already.
                        The Feds dont play that game...there is a reason Federal conviction rates are so high, they dont indict unless they have all their ducks in a row to win. They arent going to just indict willy nilly because Congress is on a fishing expedition.

The longer Congressional Republicans play this game the less impact it has overall and the more it feeds the Clinton machine. Sure the Anti-Hillarys eat it up but the middle stopped caring a while ago so nothing is being gained.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The Feds dont play that game...there is a reason Federal conviction rates are so high, they dont indict unless they have all their ducks in a row to win. They arent going to just indict willy nilly because Congress is on a fishing expedition.

The longer Congressional Republicans play this game the less impact it has overall and the more it feeds the Clinton machine. Sure the Anti-Hillarys eat it up but the middle stopped caring a while ago so nothing is being gained.
                          All Congress has to do is prove she lied once to them and they're in. The clock is running out but it's not out yet. I could see another Constitutional crisis in December.

Comment

All Congress has to do is prove she lied once to them and they're in. The clock is running out but it's not out yet. I could see another Constitutional crisis in December.
                            Scoobs, every post you prove that there's no limit to your stupidity. Congress doesn't "prove" or "indict" anything. They can refer their case to the FBI and Justice Department who will promptly laugh it off for what it is - an absurd partisan spectacle.

Handy is once again correct. Any attempt to drive up Hillary's unfavorable ratings may work with the Hillary haters, but even if the middle isn't thrilled with her she's still winning the race with room to spare. Seems to me if the knuckledraggers had anything on her, after a dozen investigations maybe they would have used it by now?

Comment

Scoobs, every post you prove that there's no limit to your stupidity. Congress doesn't "prove" or "indict" anything. They can refer their case to the FBI and Justice Department who will promptly laugh it off for what it is - an absurd partisan spectacle.

Handy is once again correct. Any attempt to drive up Hillary's unfavorable ratings may work with the Hillary haters, but even if the middle isn't thrilled with her she's still winning the race with room to spare. Seems to me if the knuckledraggers had anything on her, after a dozen investigations maybe they would have used it by now?
                              I'm stupid now? Ok, whatever dude. I'm stupid.

Comment

There's a strong Chicken Little Effect. At this point Hillary could probably stand next to Trump and shoot somebody on Fifth Avenue and the believe/don't believe breakdown would be by party.

You can only make sh-t up about somebody so many times before anything you say sounds like you made it up.

But I doubt they care. They know they aren't going to win this election -- for that matter they know they stand more to gain by losing the election and then running their horror movie headlines every day of the Hillary administration -- but each new atrocity they invent back in the FNC (coming soon: Trump TV via Breitbart!) staff room makes them, personally, millions in contributions, ad buys, and book sales.

The GOP is no longer a political party. It is a marketing firm. The highly lucrative product is Poutrage. And if they destroy democracy as a by-product well that's just too darn bad.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 08-31-2016, 09:29 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X