Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    The only thing could be is she is surrounding herself with people of questionable morality.
    Gee, a family oriented Republican blaming the woman who was being cheated upon for not divorcing the cheater sooner.

I wish I was shocked by at this point, but it's par for the course.

Comment

Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      If he's ever done anything more than sexting, adultery is illegal in 21 states (and a Felony in Michigan and Wisconsin).
      Yes, but name the last time it even amounted to a court case, let alone anything more than a fine? Typically, it's just leverage in divorce proceedings.

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Gee, a family oriented Republican blaming the woman who was being cheated upon for not divorcing the cheater sooner.

Not to mention the serial philandering, thrice-married Orange Manatee trying to take the high road in comparison to anyone else's morality and ethics is laughable.
      Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 08-29-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by unofan View Post

I would never blame a woman for her spouse cheating on her. I would, however, question her judgment after he's caught cheating on her and she chooses to staying with that person. Does she think it won't happen again? Either she's deluding herself or there's another motive behind the decision.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and... we don't get fooled again.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          I would never blame a woman for her spouse cheating on her. I would, however, question her judgment after he's caught cheating on her and she chooses to staying with that person. Does she think it won't happen again? Either she's deluding herself or there's another motive behind the decision.

Had that discussion with the Missus when Eliot Spitzer got busted. I couldn't believe his wife showed up at the press conference but she explained that when there's kids involved it changes things a bit. I told her that was a good point and then called up one of my old girlfriends.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Who wants a sammich? http://www.syracuse.com/food/index.s...andidates.html

Comment

It seems as though the Clinton campaign has gone a little on the quiet side, and I hope she is not simply deciding to play four-corners while the clock runs out. Monmouth released a national poll today that shows her lead, while still beyond the margin of error at 7 points, has narrowed in recent weeks. The same poll 3 weeks ago had her with a 13 point lead. Surprising to me because last week in Reno she gave what I thought was one of her better addresses of the campaign, and it attacked Trump on the very issues he needs to be attacked on. Trump, on the other hand, appears to have done nothing new. He made outrageous statements about black voters, had still more turmoil on his staff, and even signaled a policy shift on immigration that should have fooled none of the people who doubt his fitness but is rumored to have angered some of the white nationalist support he was enjoying.

I still maintain Clinton is one new serious scandal or successful terrorist attack away from blowing this campaign. At this point it sometimes appears she is employing as her main campaign strategy the belief that the types of people most likely to support Trump are the same people who historically have been less likely to vote in great numbers. It reminds me of Brian Kelly's coaching strategy after 6 seasons at the helm around here. Sure we'll probably beat teams like Army and Syracuse by simply making it to the stadium in time for the kickoff, but I can also point to at least a half dozen games where that thinking was employed and the games ended in defeat. At some point Tulsa is gonna come into your stadium, intercept a stupid pass and walk out with a win.
              Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 08-29-2016, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                A bakery should offer special turnovers.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

They are/were a power couple so there's always more going on. I assume whatever affection there was died somewhere between incident 1 and 2 (bear in mind these are only the incidents we found out about -- who knows how much else was going on?) and at that point they were each doing damage control and trying to figure out their best optics. After incident 3 she didn't have any other choices -- she had to cut him loose immediately or suffer irreparable harm.

It isn't that these people don't have normal emotions -- they do. But they also have other considerations that they allow to obtrude into or even determine behavior and decisions that you and I would consider way beyond the scope of managing our image (for example, the effect on our kids). Political people truly are political people -- same genus, different species. The relationship between Selina and Catherine on Veep isn't an exaggeration -- it's how these folks feel and act. I find it repugnant, but there are other fields (performing arts, business) where people have the same weird inversion of priorities. Having a few missing pieces may help people climb to the top.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 08-29-2016, 03:09 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Choosing between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton is like choosing what film to watch on United Flight 93. <-- paraphrased statement by comedian Jimmy Carr at the Rob Lowe roast
                    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                      Maybe, but I think the way these bits have come to be SOP on a lot of the "news" channels is just another part of the problem. Almost every time there is some political "news" being presented, there are representatives from both sides there to spin things to the favor of their candidate or the side their party has staked out. But the only reason we see this is so the particular channel doesn't get accused of bias. God forbid we report and discuss what Trump or Clinton say without a Clinton or Trump surrogate their to defend them. It's phony, pandering and rarely brings clarity to the subjects that are discussed.
                      I've no trouble weeding out the b.s., and amidst the bias from the Dees and Dums there are nuggets of substance. Plus I don't fixate on one source (certainly not CNN/MSNBC/FNC) be it the web/print/TV/radio/etc. Having majored in International Relations/Business and a minor in Pol Sci utilizing a spectrum of sources was a necessity and it's stuck with me. You can go to essentially one of the following:

1. Straight talking but left-leaning
                      2. Straight talking but right-leaning
                      3. Just the facts
                      4. Liberals rule conservatives drool
                      5. #4 in reverse

#3 (see your "God forbid we report and discuss...") rarely exists in any medium and 1 and 2 are even more rare. There can be more there than meets the eye if you're astute enough.

Comment

if she learned her lesson after that first time and went back to swallowing, sure.
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I'll put this here because of the political connection.

Today, boys and girls, we're going to learn about Cause and Effect!
                          Truly disappointing. Carlos Danger was going to be an indispensable part of the Clinton White House.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The natural end product of the last eight years of GOP rhetoric.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

HRC is cramming, tD is laid back.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/cl...rticle/2600488
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                The natural end product of the last eight years of GOP rhetoric.
                                Is it just me or does the photo in that article remind anyone of Lee Harvey Oswald?

Comment

Working...
                                X