Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes early

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    She did. Perfectly sums it up with this statement:

We actually don’t even cover the details of something. We just cover the back and forth of it.
    The media is generally happy to have Generic Person From The Left and Generic Person From The Right, with one saying "A", one saying "B" and they've succeeded in providing "balance." I have been railing about this for years now.

Comment

• Re: Campaign 2016 Part XVII: If debates are great theater, I think this one closes e

538 trend lines now show PA, FL, OH, NV and NC all reversing the recent closing trend and starting to slightly widen again. 3 weeks to the first debate.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
        She did. Perfectly sums it up with this statement:

The media is generally happy to have Generic Person From The Left and Generic Person From The Right, with one saying "A", one saying "B" and they've succeeded in providing "balance." I have been railing about this for years now.
        Point / Counterpoint which was a high point of every 60 Minutes show.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          Point / Counterpoint which was a high point of every 60 Minutes show.
          It was a closing segment of a 60 minute broadcast. And it never purported to be anything than what it was. The same thing is presented (less professionally now) on TV and it constitutes 99% of what they present as news.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            538 trend lines now show PA, FL, OH, NV and NC all reversing the recent closing trend and starting to slightly widen again. 3 weeks to the first debate.
            This is why I think a lot of the panic here is a bit overdone. While Trump may have been the top news story and maybe even gained some points nationally going to places like Washington and Louisiana that aren't going to be in play on Election Day, Hillary has made some gains focusing on more local issues in some of the swing states that are going to win the election for her.

Because of course.
            I don't think you can really expect a guy that talks about sky cake for a living to be a big stickler on facts.
            Originally posted by dicaslover
            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

As I said yesterday...the LA Times poll is sad but the fact is it is overall rather meaningless. Drumpf is losing every major swing state (and is at risk in some strongholds) which means he is losing badly. Hillary's popularity may be tanking but again he is gaining nothing. The media can skew it how they like, but the numbers dont bare it out and the EC is killing him. He needs to flip at least 3 of those states (especially Florida) to have any shot and he doesnt have the infrastructure in place in those states right now to flip them. He is wasting resources in areas he cant win and neglecting Ohio and Pennsylvania which is going to be the death of his campaign.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                This is why I think a lot of the panic here is a bit overdone. While Trump may have been the top news story and maybe even gained some points nationally going to places like Washington and Louisiana that aren't going to be in play on Election Day, Hillary has made some gains focusing on more local issues in some of the swing states that are going to win the election for her.

I don't think you can really expect a guy that talks about sky cake for a living to be a big stickler on facts.
                Or who agrees that Hillary is a bigot while posting tweets of her in blackface...the guy is a moron and I would not be surprised if he was skimming from the donation basket.

joe,

Point/Counterpoint is great, the problem is there is nothing talked about outside of the talking points. There is no deep discussion of policy, just yelling, rhetoric and then changing the subject because the networks assume their viewers dont understand or care. Problem is those networks should be in the business of making people understand and care and they stopped doing that long ago.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

As I said yesterday...the LA Times poll is sad but the fact is it is overall rather meaningless. Drumpf is losing every major swing state (and is at risk in some strongholds) which means he is losing badly. Hillary's popularity may be tanking but again he is gaining nothing. The media can skew it how they like, but the numbers dont bare it out and the EC is killing him. He needs to flip at least 3 of those states (especially Florida) to have any shot and he doesnt have the infrastructure in place in those states right now to flip them. He is wasting resources in areas he cant win and neglecting Ohio and Pennsylvania which is going to be the death of his campaign.
                  The LA Times poll is weird. It's something like the same 5,000 people, of which they poll 1,000 each day.
                  "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

A poll by itself does not matter. Trending of a poll -- when many polls are showing the same trending, does matter. The trending in the last 2 weeks has been uniformally bad. That sh-t needs to stop.

Trump can only win if something systemic pulls Hillary down everywhere by enough for the tipping point states to drop. Public perception of Hillary is highly negative -- almost as negative as Carrot Caligula. It does not matter what Trump says or does at his Republican Reichsparteitag. What matters is if she sustains a lethal wound.
                    Last edited by Kepler; 09-05-2016, 05:45 PM.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Can't wait for Rudy and the rest of the bunch to bring up the Hillary coughing fit again. She spent a good portion of her time here in Cleveland attempting to cough up one of her lungs. My guess is God did not grant her vocal cords that were designed for the incessant speaking a candidate for president has to do. During an average day she speaks 1000s of more words than most people and over the course of campaigning her body never has time to heal the inflammation. I doubt very much the coughing is an underlying symptom of anything more serious than this. Hell, we've been diagnosing Trumps mental illnesses for months now, why not do the same with Hillary's physical ones.

By the way, the cankles have been there for a long time, so they're probably not a sign of congestive heart failure. But then again, as a nod to the conspiracy folks out there, coughing sometimes is.
                      Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

If you don't think the 'talking points' are discussed in detail outside the confines of 'he said, she said' exchanges I don't know what news channels you're all watching. I agree though that the 'snippets' are bothersome no matter the source, and depending upon the website headlines can be very misleading.

And let the Trumpsters spout off all the racist comments they want - while it may 'normalize' the hate for some it also exposes them all the more for the bigots they are. Front and center. Can't run, can't hide. Ask any minority if they'd rather a real bigot living on their street suppress their hatred or outwardly express it many, many would take the latter.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-05-2016, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                          Can't wait for Rudy and the rest of the bunch to bring up the Hillary coughing fit again. She spent a good portion of her time here in Cleveland attempting to cough up one of her lungs. My guess is God did not grant her vocal cords that were designed for the incessant speaking a candidate for president has to do. During an average day she speaks 1000s of more words than most people and over the course of campaigning her body never has time to heal the inflammation. I doubt very much the coughing is an underlying symptom of anything more serious than this. Hell, we've been diagnosing Trumps mental illnesses for months now, why not do the same with Hillary's physical ones.

By the way, the cankles have been there for a long time, so they're probably not a sign of congestive heart failure. But then again, as a nod to the conspiracy folks out there, coughing sometimes is.
                          My favorite Freeper theory I've seen is that God is making her choke on her lies.

Comment

ZOMG an almost 70 year old is choking!!!!!!!!! ZIKA! Polio! Avian Flu! It's obviously something!
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              ZOMG an almost 70 year old is choking!!!!!!!!! ZIKA! Polio! Avian Flu! It's obviously something!
                              Why can't she be the picture of youth and health that Trump is?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

CNN polling this morning gives Trump the lead by two (45-43). NBC gives Hillary a six point lead.

Per CBS radio.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X