Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Brexit - Should I stay or should I go??

Brits respond to Trump's tweet
    "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

This was posted by a user on Financial Times and has gone viral.

“A quick note on the first three tragedies. Firstly, it was the working classes who voted for us to leave because they were economically disregarded, and it is they who will suffer the most in the short term. They have merely swapped one distant and unreachable elite for another. Secondly, the younger generation has lost the right to live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of the lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles, and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debts of our predecessors. Thirdly and perhaps most significantly, we now live in a post-factual democracy. When the facts met the myths they were as useless as bullets bouncing off the bodies of aliens in a HG Wells novel. When Michael Gove said, ‘The British people are sick of experts,’ he was right. But can anybody tell me the last time a prevailing culture of anti-intellectualism has led to anything other than bigotry?”

Comment

I wonder if the Brits went all willie nillie when

1. King John signed tbe Magna Carta?
        2. King Charles I had an unfortunate encounter with the axeman?
        3. King James II got tossed out on his butt in the Glorious Revolution?
        4. The Armada was sighted?
        5. The Blitz?

They come from strong English yeoman stock. If they fold over this, they should remove the Churchill statue outside the House of Commons and ship it over here to glare at our House of Representatives.
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
          I wonder if the Brits went all willie nillie when

1. King John signed tbe Magna Carta?
          2. King Charles I had an unfortunate encounter with the axeman?
          3. King James II got tossed out on his butt in the Glorious Revolution?
          4. The Armada was sighted?
          5. The Blitz?

They come from strong English yeoman stock. If they fold over this, they should remove the Churchill statue outside the House of Commons and ship it over here to glare at our House of Representatives.
          The average British citizens had no clue about the first four events and the fifth was at the beginning of a war.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

“A quick note on the first three tragedies. Firstly, it was the working classes who voted for us to leave because they were economically disregarded, and it is they who will suffer the most in the short term. They have merely swapped one distant and unreachable elite for another. Secondly, the younger generation has lost the right to live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of the lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles, and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debts of our predecessors. Thirdly and perhaps most significantly, we now live in a post-factual democracy. When the facts met the myths they were as useless as bullets bouncing off the bodies of aliens in a HG Wells novel. When Michael Gove said, ‘The British people are sick of experts,’ he was right. But can anybody tell me the last time a prevailing culture of anti-intellectualism has led to anything other than bigotry?”
            That editor should spend a week in the US.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
              The average British citizens had no clue about the first four events and the fifth was at the beginning of a war.
              Bloody shame.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                You're thinking of Spielberg. I'm talking about the former Nazi family that couldn't accept defeat and started to consort with the ultra-rich and ultra-powerful elite to create global domination.
                Trilateral commission not just the former Nazi family
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                  Originally posted by Finn den Hertog
                  you toupéd fcktrumpet
                  I'm going to have to try and remember to start using that one.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Bloody shame.
                    Yes, but the newspaper, radio, TV and Internet hadn't been invented yet...

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                    That editor should spend a week in the US.
                    Wasn't an editor. That was a commenter.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Trilateral commission not just the former Nazi family
                      Who controls the British crown?
                      Who keeps the metric system down?
                      We do! We do!

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Wasn't an editor. That was a commenter.
                        I thought it was their Editorial page
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          I thought it was their Editorial page
                          It was a guy named Nicholas Barrett. It was originally part of a longer post on his blog, then Financial Times put it on their site with other comments from people around Europe.

http://closetobeingright.tumblr.com/post/146397112705/the-first-three-tragedies

Comment

It was a guy named Nicholas Barrett. It was originally part of a longer post on his blog, then Financial Times put it on their site with other comments from people around Europe.

http://closetobeingright.tumblr.com/...hree-tragedies
                            That is absolutely brilliant. Thank you for linking to it.
                            Cornell University

Comment

What we have here is further insight as to how Britain voted in favor of the Brexit.
                              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

The US election is a widely followed event around the world. I have an Aussie friend overseas who has pretty much never been here...but who says every time 'this will be the year I won't follow the American election cycle (and he does anyways).'

Anyways, it wouldn't surprise me if this recent US election cycle and an endless stream of Trumpisms...was enough to tip the balance in favor of exit. The world does follow the US and it was that close.

Further evidence: 'When the Financial Times endorsed the Conservative party in the 2015 election the headline was “The compelling case for continuity in Britain”.'
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X