NCAA Committee Recommends Change To Overtime In 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Committee Recommends Change To Overtime In 2016-17

The NCAA committee recommended that regular season OT starts with four-on-four for five minutes, then three-on-three for five minutes (if necessary), and finally to a shootout (if necessary), with conferences deciding whether or not to go to the three-on-three and shootout. This would apply to the regular season only.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/06/11/ncaa...016-17-season/

Pluses? Minuses? I do like a good shootout and wish the CHA would start using them.

Re: NCAA Committee Recommends Change To Overtime In 2016-17

Blech.

Comment

OK, so I'm a homer but I thought the best games last year were the final regular season game between the Badgers & Gophers and the NCAA semi between them

OT, 5 on 5 sudden death, any other way sucks

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        OK, so I'm a homer but I thought the best games last year were the final regular season game between the Badgers & Gophers and the NCAA semi between them

Absolutely nothing wrong with a tie in the regular season. Feel OT should be played, OK one five or ten minute OT and be done.

Playoff situations OT, sudden death, full period time.

Shootouts should be outlawed. Use them in your tournaments after one OT. NEVER NEVER NEVER in playoffs.

This is NOT the NHL nor should it ever be, Frankly don't like it in the MHL either.

Comment

I agree that ties are OK in the regular season and shootouts should be banned. However, that horse has left the barn.

In the real world, I prefer 4x4 and 3x3 deciding games instead of shootouts. For the next generation of fans, that will become the tradition that must not be fooled with.

Comment

No gimmicks.....5 on 5 the whole time. Ties are just fine, but I'd up the OT to 10 or even 20 minutes in the regular season. Women's games are considerably faster than the men's w/o the TV timeouts, there is no reason to be in a rush to decide the game, free hockey in a close game is awesome. If baseball and football can take 3 hours to decide a game, a college women's hockey game going less than that with a longer OT is just fine.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post

Good point. It's a drag to think of a MN-UW game going to a 4 on 4, or 3 on 3, in OT.

Comment

The game is constantly evolving, and we all get accustomed to the changes. I recall two-line passes being illegal, and a hard whistle for offsides without the ability to clear the zone and keep playing. Teams used to change their personnel even after an icing call, and coincidental penalties resulted in a 4x4.

All of these rule changes had detractors at the time, but now they are considered part of the game.

I think 3x3 is exciting, even though it changes the strategy completely. Whereas 5x5 rewards the team with more depth and stronger systems, 3x3 rewards speed and creativity. Not a bad thing.

Comment

Want more offense? Coincidental penalties should result in 4 x 4 like they used to. It was so dumb to eliminate that. Now people clamor for 4 x 4. Give it to them in regulation.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I don't really consider the new rules to be about bringing more offense. They are more about providing a way to declare a winner without the hokiness of a shootout.

4x4 and 3x3 almost always produce a winner, and at least it's the team that's doing the scoring. You and I may be happy watching a well-played tie, but the reality is that women's hockey needs to appeal to casual fans, and ensuring that every fan goes home happy or sad, but not indifferent, is one way to do that.

I confess that I have always enjoyed watching 3x3 hockey, going back to when my daughter played in 3x3 leagues during the summer. I wouldn't trade it for the traditional game, but it was fun watching how the players adjusted to the different responsibilities. There is no such thing as a 'stay-at-home D' in a 3x3 game.

Comment

I agree with Leather helmet in that the 4x4 and 3x3 create new strategies that teams have to adapt to quickly.....also his point about deeper teams having the edge is logical......nothing wrong with trying to go home with a winning team.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                        The game is constantly evolving, and we all get accustomed to the changes. I recall two-line passes being illegal, and a hard whistle for offsides without the ability to clear the zone and keep playing. Teams used to change their personnel even after an icing call,
                        so some rule changes are good

and coincidental penalties resulted in a 4x4.
                        some are bad

I think 3x3 is exciting, even though it changes the strategy completely. Whereas 5x5 rewards the team with more depth and stronger systems, 3x3 rewards speed and creativity. Not a bad thing.
                        what's wrong with the team with more depth winning? 3 on 3 rewards the team with a few super stars, why should they be the winner?

the vast majority of fans think OT sudden death is the most exciting hockey, some of the best games go multiple OT's before there is a winner, I understand this may not be a good thing for the regular season, but in tournaments it is the only way to go.

and who says there has to be a winner of a regular season game? SO are like going to the prom with your cousin

the problem with the current 5 minute OT is that it is too short, teams can play with 2 lines and 2 pair of defenders, increase it to 8 or even ten minutes and there would rarely be a tie
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 06-13-2016, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                          The NCAA committee recommended that regular season OT starts with four-on-four for five minutes, then three-on-three for five minutes (if necessary), and finally to a shootout (if necessary), with conferences deciding whether or not to go to the three-on-three and shootout. This would apply to the regular season only.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/06/11/ncaa...016-17-season/

Pluses? Minuses? I do like a good shootout and wish the CHA would start using them.
                          Outside of the NHL where nobody cares enough & ties still get you into the playoffs I don't see anything wrong with games ending in a tie. In theory 4x4 or 3x3 should favor the team with better players but if that is important then why not play the whole game that way? If there simply HAS to be OT it should be 5x5. I'll be in favor of shootouts as soon as tied baseball games are decided with a homerun derby, football games with field goal kicking competition, basketball ties settle with a free throw contest and debates settled with a rap-off.

Comment

The game is constantly evolving, and we all get accustomed to the changes. I recall two-line passes being illegal, and a hard whistle for offsides without the ability to clear the zone and keep playing. Teams used to change their personnel even after an icing call, and coincidental penalties resulted in a 4x4.

All of these rule changes had detractors at the time, but now they are considered part of the game.

Don't coincidental penalties currently result in 4x4? I'm old enough to remember when all penalties went on the clock. That was always fun and a lamented change when coincidental penalties did not affect on ice strength.

The ehole key to this OT business is what is the proposed change to the RPI? Nothing should be enacted until we and the NCAA see the proposed change(s) and the Championship committee agrees with them. The change to OT has to be linked to the change on RPI.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Constantly evolving? Shootouts are great?

Been to tournaments with the ganes START with a shootout and the score starts based on the goals in the shootout. I mean if people want to see a shootout why not show it to them right at the start and a guarantee of one?

Been to tournaments that had sudden death OTs of 4x4, 3x3. 2x2, 1x1. If there is any place to use creativity it's when you are 5x5 not 3x3 etc If 3x3 is so great then play that way, why use five? It would drop costs Way way back I think they played 6x6.

It's still a TEAM game isn't it? Maybe the most TEAM oriented game of them all. (depending on your thoughts of the hot goalie) Why take it away from the team idea?

The two line pass issue opened the flow of the game. 3x3 there is no flow just wild runs down the ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X