Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Committee Recommends Change To Overtime In 2016-17

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    So are we now grading on a curve so that if you manage to keep the OT scoreless until the last minute, you get some kind of 'partial' credit even if you lose? This is beginning to resemble the 'give a trophy to the sixth place finisher' mentality that is becoming the norm in youth sports. While we are at it, why don't we reward teams where the third pairing D scores the OT winner and punish the loser. That'll show 'em.
    Huh? Not sure how what you were responding to related in anyway to what your response was. The season is shorter, a single loss or win would make a much bigger change in a 30 game season than an 82 game season. What part of that suggest anything like "everyone gets a trophy"?

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
      Huh? Not sure how what you were responding to related in anyway to what your response was. The season is shorter, a single loss or win would make a much bigger change in a 30 game season than an 82 game season. What part of that suggest anything like "everyone gets a trophy"?
      I was addressing how they are treating an OT loss in terms of giving partial credit. Why? How do you give partial credit? Doesn't make sense to me. The number of games in college hockey has been more or less the same for eons. Let's not make OT some convoluted formula that somehow winds up rewarding a team that has 10 or more ties.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
        The game is constantly evolving, and we all get accustomed to the changes. I recall two-line passes being illegal, and a hard whistle for offsides without the ability to clear the zone and keep playing. Teams used to change their personnel even after an icing call, and coincidental penalties resulted in a 4x4.

All of these rule changes had detractors at the time, but now they are considered part of the game.

I think 3x3 is exciting, even though it changes the strategy completely. Whereas 5x5 rewards the team with more depth and stronger systems, 3x3 rewards speed and creativity. Not a bad thing.
        Agreed. I might be an old timer, but like the concept of change to make things more exciting. I much prefer an outcome to be solved by a 3x3 or 4x4 OT than a shootout. For regular season I would vote for 5 minutes 4on4 or 3on3 and then call it a day. Agree that for playoffs we should stay with the true and tried method of overtime 5x5 until a goal is scored. Some of the more memorable games in the last few years are those long OT games, including the championship game between Cornell and UofM, and that wild 7-7 game between BU and Cornell where there were tons of goals in regulation including two three goal deficit comebacks, and then it took another 3 periods to get it to 8-7.

Comment

The meeting of the Playing Rules Oversight Panel is Wednesday. They've rejected recommendations in the past, such as always-on icing.
          Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
          Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
          Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

http://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-m..._tw_sf31381261
              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Over in the Hockey East: 2019/20 season is Joe Bertagna's last as commish there has been talk of changing overtime since the new HE Commisioner-in-waiting stated that the NCAA needs to standardize overtime and reduce ties. Since I had originally posted some NHL numbers in this thread and I though I would repost what I posted in that thread for those that might not read every thread on this board.
                Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                I had already researched the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons when the NHL went from 4x4 overtime to 3x3 overtime, so I also researched when the NHL went from 5x5 overtime to 4x4 overtime. I also researched the NHL's results for this season and I don't see that more games going to shootouts this season then in 2015-16.

As can be seen the last season the NHL had 5x5 overtime nearly 75% of games that went to overtime remained tied. Going to 4x4 overtime dropped that to 56% remaining tied, which is also the same percentage for the last season the NHL had 4x4 overtime. Going to 3x3 overtime dropped the number of games that remained tied down to 39% in 2015-16 and currently 35% this season. So, in the NHL 3x3 overtime has reduced the number of ties by about 35%. So, if those percentages held for NCAA games 18-19 of the 109 would have been decided by 4x4 and 37 would have been decided by 3x3. Looking at the 4 leagues that play an extra 3x3 overtime period they have played 77 overtimes to-date, 52 (67.5%) which remained tied after the 5x5 overtime period. After the extra 3x3 overtime period 25 (32.5%) still remained tied. That is 35% less ties between 5x5 and 3x3 overtimes, about the same as the drop seen by the NHL. I find it interesting that the percentage of tied games after the 5x5 overtime in those leagues was higher, 67.5%, than the 55.4% of overtime games played without a second 3x3 overtime following that remained tied. It seems that the players and coaches in those leagues have gotten more conservative to try and insure they will get both points in league play and not take a loss that could affect their PWR rating.
                Sean
                Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                BU Hockey highlights and extras
                NCAA Hockey Financials
                Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Sean

What would reduce the number of OT games even further would be going to a 3-2-1-0 points system.

Any game decided 5x5 - winner gets 3 points.

Any game decided via 4x4/3x3/SO is a 2-1 point distribution.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                  X