Well here we are once again with no Huskies Hockey to watch, but plenty of material on which to speculate until next season starts. While the Huskies seemed to have stubbed their toe to end the 2015-16 campaign, they did play their last game of the season (by most accounts) controlling their own destiny to make the NCAA tourney for a second season in a row. Other notables from this season as well as the last few:
- First WCHA Championship / MacNaughton Cup in 40 years
- Second consecutive year for a Husky as the leading scorer in the WHCA
- Second consecutive year for a Husky as WHCA Player of the Year
- Second consecutive year hosting WCHA playoff games
- Third appearance at WCHA Final Five (second consecutive)
- Multiple All-American selections
- Multiple Hobey Baker Finalists
- Desert Hockey Classic Champs
- Winter Carnival Champs (multiple)
- First NCAA Tourney appearance in 34 years
- Pearson second all-time with 95 wins (average of 19 per year, more than the TOTAL wins in the previous three seasons before his arrival - 15)
- 1st GLI Championship in 34 years
- #1 National Ranking
I am sure I'm missing a few other noteworthy ones, but you get the idea. Looking forward, next year's seniors would need 34 wins to be the first senior class to reach 100 wins since the 1970s. That is worth mentioning because the two winningest programs over the last four years (UND, QU) have 110 and 109 wins respectively. 100 Wins would be a serious benchmark of consistent winning. Of course 34 wins would be a stretch, but Tech will likely play more than 40 games next season. At the very least it puts the junior class as shoe-ins to do it in 2017-18.
Let the discussion (and the winning) continue...
PS Can I get at least 1 new jersey design for 2016-17?