Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Oval

Well here we are once again with no Huskies Hockey to watch, but plenty of material on which to speculate until next season starts. While the Huskies seemed to have stubbed their toe to end the 2015-16 campaign, they did play their last game of the season (by most accounts) controlling their own destiny to make the NCAA tourney for a second season in a row. Other notables from this season as well as the last few:
    • First WCHA Championship / MacNaughton Cup in 40 years
    • Second consecutive year for a Husky as the leading scorer in the WHCA
    • Second consecutive year for a Husky as WHCA Player of the Year
    • Second consecutive year hosting WCHA playoff games
    • Third appearance at WCHA Final Five (second consecutive)
    • Multiple All-American selections
    • Multiple Hobey Baker Finalists
    • Desert Hockey Classic Champs
    • Winter Carnival Champs (multiple)
    • First NCAA Tourney appearance in 34 years
    • Pearson second all-time with 95 wins (average of 19 per year, more than the TOTAL wins in the previous three seasons before his arrival - 15)
    • 1st GLI Championship in 34 years
    • #1 National Ranking

I am sure I'm missing a few other noteworthy ones, but you get the idea. Looking forward, next year's seniors would need 34 wins to be the first senior class to reach 100 wins since the 1970s. That is worth mentioning because the two winningest programs over the last four years (UND, QU) have 110 and 109 wins respectively. 100 Wins would be a serious benchmark of consistent winning. Of course 34 wins would be a stretch, but Tech will likely play more than 40 games next season. At the very least it puts the junior class as shoe-ins to do it in 2017-18.

Let the discussion (and the winning) continue...
    Ryan J

PS Can I get at least 1 new jersey design for 2016-17?
    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 04-15-2016, 01:54 PM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

For those of you planning trips to go see a Tech-NMU series next season, here's when they'll be playing and where.

Fri 28 Oct - Houghton
    Sat 29 Oct - Marquette

Fri 3 Mar - Marquette
    Sat 4 Mar - Houghton

Comment

Re: Michigan Tech 2016 Off-Season: Good Things are Taking Shape... The Shape of an Ov

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

Well here we are once again with no Huskies Hockey to watch, but plenty of material on which to speculate until next season starts. While the Huskies seemed to have stubbed their toe to end the 2015-16 campaign, they did play their last game of the season (by most accounts) controlling their own destiny to make the NCAA tourney for a second season in a row. Other notables from this season as well as the last few:
      • First WCHA Championship / MacNaughton Cup in 40 years
      • Second year in a row for a Husky as the leading scorer in the WHCA
      • Second consecutive year hosting WCHA playoff games
      • Third appearance at WCHA Final Five (second consecutive)
      • Multiple All-American selections
      • Multiple Hobey Baker Finalists
      • Desert Hockey Classic Champs
      • Winter Carnival Champs (multiple)
      • First NCAA Tourney appearance in 34 years
      • Pearson second all-time with 95 wins (average of 19 per year, more than the TOTAL wins in the previous three seasons before his arrival - 15)
      • 1st GLI Championship in 34 years
      • #1 National Ranking

I am sure I'm missing a few other noteworthy ones, but you get the idea. Looking forward, next year's seniors would need 34 wins to be the first senior class to reach 100 wins since the 1970s. That is worth mentioning because the two winningest programs over the last four years (UND, QU) have 110 and 109 wins respectively. 100 Wins would be a serious benchmark of consistent winning. Of course 34 wins would be a stretch, but Tech will likely play more than 40 games next season. At the very least it puts the junior class as shoe-ins to do it in 2017-18.

Let the discussion (and the winning) continue...
      Ryan J

PS Can I get at least 1 new jersey design for 2016-17?
      Fixed...

PS Not likely
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

interesting information.
        also I note that Denver, who says on the surface they do not recruit underage kids, well the last three commits they have are under 16.

The Oakland Jr. Grizzlies are excited to announce another Division 1 College Commitment. Tommy Parrottino, a forward for the U18 Midget Major AAA team has committed to Michigan Tech for the 2018-2019 season. Head Coach Mike Peruzzi had the following to say about Tommy,

"The Oakland Junior Grizzlies U18 team congratulates Tommy Parrottino on his commitment to play hockey at Michigan Technological University. Tommy was among the top goal scorers and point producers in the Tier One Elite Hockey League. He is a highly skilled player and a tremendous offensive threat every time he touches the ice. His skating and stick handling abilities are among the best we’ve seen at this level. We have no doubt that with his dedication and work ethic, he will only improve and be a huge asset to the Huskies. The Grizzlies organization is incredibly proud of Tommy and look forward to watching his continued progression."

Great job Tommy!
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I really don't see the need to recruit a hockey player before their senior year of high school (other than to beat another school to the punch). In today's era of college hockey (well outside of the Bi6(7) where all the frosh are bright eyed 18 year olds) kids don't go on campus at age 18. So even as a 17yo they are multiple years away from playing.
          Ryan J

Comment

I really don't see the need to recruit a hockey player before their senior year of high school (other than to beat another school to the punch). In today's era of college hockey (well outside of the Bi6(7) where all the frosh are bright eyed 18 year olds) kids don't go on campus at age 18. So even as a 17yo they are multiple years away from playing.
            Ryan J
            Interestingly enough, MTU is trending younger. 4 of the recruits I think will be coming in this week committed before their 18th birthday, 5 players currently committed for future years committed before their 17th birthday and an additional 3 players committed while 17.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Ryan J
              If you wait that long, they may already be through a year of Major Junior or, as you noted, committed elsewhere.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                If you wait that long, they may already be through a year of Major Junior or, as you noted, committed elsewhere.
                speaking of which, central scouting released their final rankings and unless there was a decommitment, there are THREE players that made the final list whom are not currently committed. There are 5 additional players that dropped from being listed on the midterm list to the final that are not committed.

Comment

I'm fine with 17 yr olds and I'm ok with 16 yr olds, but 15 seems to me to be too young. So when they get three consecutive recruits under 16, well,.....
                  one was from the Oakland U 16 team and another from BC.
                  also of note. I know for a fact Quinnipiac recruits heavily in BC, so does Bentley, PSU, ASU, Denver, CC, and any number of others. I'd bet there are over 20 teams up there.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I've got some family that attend St. Anthony, MN HS (The Huskies). Noticed this logo on their gear. Coincidence? Or conspiracy?
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I would say that is more Washington Huskies than Houghton.
                      "Feel free to copy our logo, we'll just look the other way if you do..."
                      Ryan J

Now if we were recruting from New Market, you would have a legit case. Piano Dog will live on...

Comment

I would say that is more Washington Huskies than Houghton.
                        "Feel free to copy our logo, we'll just look the other way if you do..."
                        Ryan J

Now if we were recruting from New Market, you would have a legit case. Piano Dog will live on...
                        I never thought I'd say this... but that is worse than the piano dog.
                        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

as I've said before, recruits are dead to me until they show up on ice at the SDC. however, if tMel wants to recruit 6 year olds to 26 year olds, I'm ok with that.
                          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Brett Olson gamer for anyone interested:
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portland-Pir...-/141959741773

Ryan J

Comment

Pretty nice Scott article

Comment

Working...
                              X