Disparity of Support Between FBS and non-Football Schools and FCS Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disparity of Support Between FBS and non-Football Schools and FCS Schools

Over in the women's forum an article about Gopher men's attendance came up. In the article revenue for several schools, including Providence, was reported and I was very interested in PC's reported revenue of $3.3 million for the 2014-15 season. In looking for those numbers I got sidetracked by the NCAA's DI Revenues & Expenses Report for 2004-14. It breaks down everything into the Football Bowl Subdivision, Football Championship Subdivision and without Football. In looking at the ice hockey numbers for revenues and expenses and coaching salaries I immediately noticed an interesting thing: both FBS and non-football schools spend more on men's and women's ice hockey then FCS schools do. And I'm taking about a small difference, the median expenses for FCS schools is over a $1 million less for men's teams and about a $1 million less for women's teams. I created a spreadsheet with 2014 Hockey Revenues & Expenses using the numbers from the NCAA report (I added "Actual Net Difference" columns as the NCAA appears to use fuzzy math).

I know in the Maine thread here there has been a lot of discussion about the impact of their football program on the hockey team and these numbers appear to confirm that FCS football does indeed impact hockey programs at those schools.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Re: Disparity of Support Between FBS and non-Football Schools and FCS Schools

Off the top of my head, I'd say it makes sense. FBS schools are the "haves", the ones with plenty of money to spend on athletics and plenty of money coming in on licensing and sponsorships. Schools without football are more likely to have hockey as their signature sport, so they'd spend more on it than FCS schools, which have less income than FBS schools but still have to support a football team.

Powers &8^]

Comment

How did you account for schools with non Division 1 football such as Merrimack or Bentley?

How many schools nationally actually have FCS football and hockey? 10? Most of which are in the Ivy league which has unique financials? I can think of 4 that arent: Maine, UNH, Holy Cross and Colgate....kind of a small sampe size.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Wait a minute.

Minnesota has football?!
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
          Wait a minute.

Minnesota has football?!
          We have managed to beat you 25 times.
          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

And in Providence's case, the hoops team is the marquee program.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              How did you account for schools with non Division 1 football such as Merrimack or Bentley?
              I don't know how the NCAA accounts for them, but I would gues they are not included in the DI report.

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              How many schools nationally actually have FCS football and hockey? 10? Most of which are in the Ivy league which has unique financials? I can think of 4 that arent: Maine, UNH, Holy Cross and Colgate....kind of a small sampe size.
              According to a Wikipedia List of NCAA Division I FCS football programs I see 13 schools that also have ice hockey:
              Brown University
              Colgate University
              College of the Holy Cross
              Cornell University
              Dartmouth College
              Harvard University
              Princeton University
              Robert Morris University
              Sacred Heart University
              University of Maine
              University of New Hampshire
              University of North Dakota
              Yale University

As for a small sample size, there are only 16 FBS schools with ice hockey (Syracuse has women's only) and 10 DI non-football schools (if I counted correctly).

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                Wait a minute.

Minnesota has football?!
                Funny, the same joke was being made about Michigan not all that long ago.
                Last edited by GrinCDXX; 03-27-2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                  Funny, the same joke was being made about Michigan that all that long ago.
                  Michigan.... foo... what? *mind blown*... i gotta sit down
                  BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                  Skating Friar Jersey
                  AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                  UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                  Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Working...
                  X