Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA Pushing To Team With Big Ten, NCHC For Conference Tournaments

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
    So you'd rather forgo teams like Tech and Minnesota State making the NCAA tournament than have a power conference? If North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth were still in the WCHA, and Miami still in the CCHA, would Minnesota State or Michigan Tech have made the NCAA tournament last year? No, they wouldn't have.
    The same group of players from that MSU team made the NCAA Tournament two years prior in the old WCHA too, but sure, whatever you'd like to imagine.
    Originally posted by dicaslover
    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

So you'd rather forgo teams like Tech and Minnesota State making the NCAA tournament than have a power conference? If North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth were still in the WCHA, and Miami still in the CCHA, would Minnesota State or Michigan Tech have made the NCAA tournament last year? No, they wouldn't have.

Now those school have an additional recruiting tool: come play for us and have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament on the big stage.
      Then why not have 10 six team conferences, or 15 four team conferences? Then every school just has to be good for one weekend to make the NCAA tournament.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by TheSiouxFan View Post
        Fixed your post. The NCHC won't be joining any combined tournaments. They already have it too good to share, outdrawing both the BIG and WCHA combined.
        The NCHC may be in better shape than the other two conferences, but that doesn't take much, and it doesn't mean they're doing great. They claim they're making enough money from the Frozen Faceoff to turn a small profit, but they haven't made enough money to give any back to the member schools yet. They got UMD and SCSU into the tournament this year and lost attendance from the previous year. That gives you a good idea of what the ceiling is for this tournament. They're entirely dependent on North Dakota making the tournament to barely do better than even. That's not a great position to be in, and there's definitely room for improvement.
        Originally posted by dicaslover
        Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
        Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Then why not have 10 six team conferences, or 15 four team conferences? Then every school just has to be good for one weekend to make the NCAA tournament.
          Howdy, y'all.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

The Frozen Faceoff is 90% UND fans. UND hasn't missed a conference tournament in over a decade. We'll take our chances.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
              The NCHC may be in better shape than the other two conferences, but that doesn't take much, and it doesn't mean they're doing great. They claim they're making enough money from the Frozen Faceoff to turn a small profit, but they haven't made enough money to give any back to the member schools yet. They got UMD and SCSU into the tournament this year and lost attendance from the previous year. That gives you a good idea of what the ceiling is for this tournament. They're entirely dependent on North Dakota making the tournament to barely do better than even. That's not a great position to be in, and there's definitely room for improvement.
              It's not even close to the ceiling yet. The ceiling will be once UND is actually in the championship game probably over 15,000....even more once they win one or two in a row.

Comment

I have read with interest the comments and I am intrigued by this "mega championship" idea. Would this work for a championship weekend?

Thursday
                2 pm - WCHA semi final 1
                5 pm - NCHC semi final 1
                8 pm - BGT semi final 1

Friday
                2 pm - WCHA semi final 2
                5 pm - NCHC semi final 2
                8 pm - BGT semi final 2

Saturday
                2 pm - WCHA Championship
                5 pm - NCHC Championship
                8 pm - BGT Championship

All can be played in the same building, TV coverage can be fed to various feeds from the arena broadcast system, most ticket scanners are set to read going in and going out now, you would solve the "attendance" issue by giving hockey fans an opportunity to attend other games then their own series and rotate the venue, St Paul, Detroit, Chicago.

Each year you could rotate the various conference games so that one conference is not always playing at 2. If there is OT that pushes up against another start time.....you can push the next start time back. The only thing I don't know about is how would the ice hold up with three games being played on it...anybody have some input on this.

Comment

Now those school have an additional recruiting tool: come play for us and have a chance to play in the NCAA tournament on the big stage.
                  Thats just plain ignorant of reality. Msu for sure and probably tech would have made it last year. Msu was the #1 overall seed. It ridiculous to say it was only because of the weakened conference. Msu made it in the last year of the old wcha and were improving. Ferris was in the national championship in 2012 and went again in the 2014 and won a game there.

The reality is that no one knows if it opened up opportunities for these teams. They were already improving and we're be oming players in the old conference. The undeniable reality is that these schools are worse off financially. Leaving out conference tournaments, expenses are up and revenues are down for most/all wcha schools. In the short run they MAY be seeing more on ice success, but whether that creates long term Fina vial stability is highly in doubt.

I'm not certain that the changes have even had unintended benefits as you suggest. It's just too early to know that. I D9 take issue with the blanket assumption that it has benefitted the wcha schools. I think pretty evident that it's a resounding "not at all" and at best a "maybe....a5 some point in the future". I'm all for finding ways to make the conference work as is or re-aligned or whatever, but trying to gloss over reality doesn't do anyone any good.
                  Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by BleedinBlueLaker93 View Post
                    I have read with interest the comments and I am intrigued by this "mega championship" idea. Would this work for a championship weekend?

Thursday
                    2 pm - WCHA semi final 1
                    5 pm - NCHC semi final 1
                    8 pm - BGT semi final 1

Friday
                    2 pm - WCHA semi final 2
                    5 pm - NCHC semi final 2
                    8 pm - BGT semi final 2

Saturday
                    2 pm - WCHA Championship
                    5 pm - NCHC Championship
                    8 pm - BGT Championship

All can be played in the same building, TV coverage can be fed to various feeds from the arena broadcast system, most ticket scanners are set to read going in and going out now, you would solve the "attendance" issue by giving hockey fans an opportunity to attend other games then their own series and rotate the venue, St Paul, Detroit, Chicago.

Each year you could rotate the various conference games so that one conference is not always playing at 2. If there is OT that pushes up against another start time.....you can push the next start time back. The only thing I don't know about is how would the ice hold up with three games being played on it...anybody have some input on this.
                    you need 3.5 hours between games
                    2.5 for the game and 1 hour in between, look at the scheduling of all conference and NCAA double headers.

also, you have to play semis on the same day, cant give one team an extra days rest over another. This also unnecessarily drived up hotel expendetures.

This is a non-starter
                    Last edited by billmich88888; 03-22-2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

It's not even close to the ceiling yet. The ceiling will be once UND is actually in the championship game probably over 15,000....even more once they win one or two in a row.
                      So the entire conference is dependant on a single team winning the tournament 2 years in a row? That's not exactly what I'd call a solid business plan.
                      Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

[QUOTE=Arafel;6302478]So you'd rather forgo teams like Tech and Minnesota State making the NCAA tournament than have a power conference? If North Dakota, Denver, St. Cloud, and Duluth were still in the WCHA, and Miami still in the CCHA, would Minnesota State or Michigan Tech have made the NCAA tournament last year? No, they wouldn't have.

Uh. The number 1 team in the pairwise last year would not have made the tournament?????

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                          My question about a mega tournament is: Who's going to get the tv rights? right now, three different networks are aligned with the HCHC,WCHA and Big 10. Will they play nice or brawl over who gets to cover what? It could get pretty crowded in the booth and camera positions.
                          The conference of the teams playing. I'm not saying toss everyone into a single bracket, though that would be a lot of fun.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                            you need 3.5 hours between games
                            2.5 for the game and 1 hour in between, look at the scheduling of all conference and NCAA double headers.

also, you have to play semis on the same day, cant give one team an extra days rest over another.
                            this is a non-starter
                            The WCHA commissioner proposed this being closer to a week-long tournament compared to a three-day tournament.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No chance. Even in the heyday of the WCHA, with UND playing Minnesota and other traditional rivals, we never saw anything approaching those types of numbers from UND fans.

Candidly, we've probably seen about what we'll see out of UND fan support. If they're not going to come and watch a 30 win team, why will more come in other years?

My fear, as others have expressed, is what happens when UND goes through a stretch like we did in the early to mid-90's. Don't kid yourself. We are destined to see that happen again. That happens, and unless something else has changed, the NCHC is going to be in rough financial shape regarding its tournament.

I actually think the NCHC, certainly more than the current WCHA, would benefit financially from all playoff series being played on campus, as it was when I was in college. The rinks would be jammed. The members of the conference, for the most part, have nice sized rinks.

Take this year for example. Lets say instead of the Frozen Face off, following the first round series, DU traveled to SCSU for a best of 3 and UMD traveled to UND for a best of three. And lets say both series were won in two games by the home team, so the final weekend would be a best of three between SCSU and UND in Grand Forks.

You'd have 10,300 fans see the SCSU-DU games, 23,200 fans see the UMD-UND games, and another 23,200 see the SCSU-UND finals. That's a heck of a lot more than we've seen at Target Center for the weekend. IMHO, that's the way the NCHC needs to go. Was successful for years in the old WCHA.
                              Last edited by SJHovey; 03-22-2016, 01:33 PM.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by billmich88888 View Post
                                GLI final was still available on FSN Detroit and Fox College sports, not to mention it is "NOT" a Big Ten event
                                Which is fine and well, but that's for TV broadcast. BTN+ was the provider of the webstream, of which they upcharged to view it.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X