Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol I: Dawn of the Fifth Age of UW Hockey!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Haven't been around much have you
    What do you mean? High Point Solutions Arena seems like an awesome practice facility and even seats a few hundred more then our practice facility, LaBahn. I can't seem to find the name of their home rink anywhere but, with such a nice practice rink I gotta believe it's really something.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Mike Hastings.

Also, with regard to Don Granato as another poster said he's won a championship and taken another team in another level of play to a title series.

If you look up Jeff Sauer's pre-Wisconsin record it's almost laughable, but he had great success for about 11 years in Madison before the wheels fell off.

I'm not sure if Eaves' pre-Wisconsin record in terms of w's and l's but I do recall he hadn't been in one job for more than 2-3years consecutively and that raised some concern here.

To circle back, Don has taken teams in 2 different leagues to championship levels of play, that's a very good indicator to me. Oz has some baggage that we've not been made aware of. Why exactly was he fired from tosu? Who were his great recruits there? I honestly don't recall
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

NoDak fans are thinking UW will consider Cary Eades.

Comment

Since all coaching spots (head and assistants) have the same deadline, how is the new coach supposed to get hired, then seek out guys he wants to work with, then have them apply? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

I went to the ncaa job posting site and saw the "director of hockey operations" job is also listed.

Oz got axed from OSU because...“We are making a change in our head hockey coaching position,” Ohio State associate vice president and athletic director Gene Smith said in a statement. “There was a difference of opinion over the management of the program that could not be resolved.”

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2013/04/15/osie...#ixzz43RVXYx47

I'm going to throw a dark horse name on the table for the head coach job.....Brad Frost. It will be fascinating to see the list of who actually applied. He has the same limitations as MJ on the recruiting front, but he is young, successful and has been able to maintain the program over a long period of time.

Coghlin is interesting. In D3, what is the recruiting landscape like? The roster reads like a D1 in that these players are from just about every corner of the hockey earth, including Sweden.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            NoDak fans are thinking UW will consider Cary Eades.
            Honestly, he is a viable candidate. I hope he applies.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              Coghlin is interesting. In D3, what is the recruiting landscape like? The roster reads like a D1 in that these players are from just about every corner of the hockey earth, including Sweden.
              And they play well too. Saw them again last night. They move well, play creatively ... But they also do some things (lots of cross ice passes in their own zone, an over reliance on stick checks that should be exploited by high end DI talent) that would cause heart attacks aplenty.

There's also the issue that (per the player's parent sitting near me) that Coughlin has been approached multiple times about DI gigs. If that's true, I'd suspect that a Coughlin that wants to coach DI would be doing so already.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

My sources say it's Don Granato's job if he wants it...

Comment

Coughlin, will not leave Saint Norbert. His wife loves living here.
                  UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    He coaches u17 correct? Not u18 and they are 21-26 in the ushl. Or am I missing something?
                    To draw the threads together, the answer to this is yes, you are correct. Don heads the U-17's, essentially elite 16 year olds playing against the top tier 20 and under teams in the US. Approaching a .500 record in the USHL isn't too shabby IMO. He has coached U-18's in various tournaments as well.

Personally, I think it's either Donny or Mark Johnson. On an emotional level I'd love to have Mark get it even though he wouldn't be my first choice among possibilities. Also, on Mark I'd offer a couple points regarding the most common objections:

I think Assistant of the Year, Dan Koch, could absolutely step in and continue the success of the Women's program without a hitch. He's probably going to be offered HC jobs at some point in the near future anyway.

On recruiting concerns I'd suggest that Badger fan's close connection with Mark over the long haul tends to discount what a huge name he is in and out of the Hockey world. In other words, Mark has always been the same Mark. Outside of that bubble though, Mark's stature in hockey has grown exponentially. I doubt there's a rink in North America you can go into and say the words Mark Johnson and Hockey without everyone there immediately knowing exactly who you are talking about. ( You can probably walk into an Applebee's in Cleveland and get a similar result.) Regular Badger fans are somewhat insulated from the way his stature has grown in the last 15 years in the rest of the world. There isn't anyone in hockey that wouldn't love to meet Mark Johnson and that is a giant recruiting advantage in my mind. Especially given what a tremendous person he is when you do meet him.

And lastly on coaching Men vs. Women. He hadn't coached women before he took over there, and he figured that out just fine. There's no reason to believe that transitioning back to men, with whom he spent all of his previous playing and coaching career is any problem. What he is, is a winner. Always has been. And true winning coaches are winners because they identify and over come the challenges presented in whatever it is they are coaching, whether it be hockey or (to borrow a phrase) tiddlywinks.

Which again isn't to say Mark is my first choice, but I do think these things are legitimate arguments, FWIW.
                    Originally posted by WiscTJK
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                    Originally posted by Timothy A
                    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      To draw the threads together, the answer to this is yes, you are correct. Don heads the U-17's, essentially elite 16 year olds playing against the top tier 20 and under teams in the US. Approaching a .500 record in the USHL isn't too shabby IMO. He has coached U-18's in various tournaments as well.

Personally, I think it's either Donny or Mark Johnson. On an emotional level I'd love to have Mark get it even though he wouldn't be my first choice among possibilities. Also, on Mark I'd offer a couple points regarding the most common objections:

I think Assistant of the Year, Dan Koch, could absolutely step in and continue the success of the Women's program without a hitch. He's probably going to be offered HC jobs at some point in the near future anyway.

On recruiting concerns I'd suggest that Badger fan's close connection with Mark over the long haul tends to discount what a huge name he is in and out of the Hockey world. In other words, Mark has always been the same Mark. Outside of that bubble though, Mark's stature in hockey has grown exponentially. I doubt there's a rink in North America you can go into and say the words Mark Johnson and Hockey without everyone there immediately knowing exactly who you are talking about. ( You can probably walk into an Applebee's in Cleveland and get a similar result.) Regular Badger fans are somewhat insulated from the way his stature has grown in the last 15 years in the rest of the world. There isn't anyone in hockey that wouldn't love to meet Mark Johnson and that is a giant recruiting advantage in my mind. Especially given what a tremendous person he is when you do meet him.

And lastly on coaching Men vs. Women. He hadn't coached women before he took over there, and he figured that out just fine. There's no reason to believe that transitioning back to men, with whom he spent all of his previous playing and coaching career is any problem. What he is, is a winner. Always has been. And true winning coaches are winners because they identify and over come the challenges presented in whatever it is they are coaching, whether it be hockey or (to borrow a phrase) tiddlywinks.

Which again isn't to say Mark is my first choice, but I do think these things are legitimate arguments, FWIW.
                      Luke Strand will be named badger hockey coach and JB Bittner will be his assistant and they are looking to fill another assistant coach position.

Explains why the they were scouting the Madison capital games this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by DoorCtyBadger View Post
                        Luke Strand will be named badger hockey coach and JB Bittner will be his assistant and they are looking to fill another assistant coach position.
                        I think some heads around here would explode if that happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Almington View Post
                          I think some heads around here would explode if that happened.
                          Strand is a Kevin Constantine disciple...lots of D orientation so that would be interesting.

Comment

I hope that is not the case........you have some sources for this correct?
                            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I quit
                              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

This would be the definition of settling, and it certainly won't win any fans back.

Comment

Working...
                                X