X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2016 Off Season thread: A Drivel-free Summer

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
    Qpac Im sure is the addition to HEA. RIT into ECAC. I still think at some pt the Ivies peel off, I cant imagine they were pleased with the way that ECAC ran tourney this weekend. I'm calling for realignment when this happens. My new league would be the Empire League, Tute, Onion, RIT, Gate, Clarkson, SLU, Niagara, Cansius, Niagara. I would be league czar and Fishcore would be Dir. of Officiating.
    After a few tweets back and forth with WaP, Holy Cross is a much better fit for the ECAC, at least geographically. RIT would blow up the current travel partner system.
    RPI Pep Band
    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
      After a few tweets back and forth with WaP, Holy Cross is a much better fit for the ECAC, at least geographically. RIT would blow up the current travel partner system.
      Actually, if you partner Princeton with Cornell and RIT with Colgate, it actually helps it out a bit, especially when it comes to difference between ivy and non-ivy. However, if CHC came in, probably partner with Dartmouth, and the others would go back to the partners we had in the days when UVM was in the ECAC. Only trouble is that CHC would probably have to move up their women's team from D-III, as having the same teams for men and women is attractive to the league.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        Qpac Im sure is the addition to HEA. RIT into ECAC. I still think at some pt the Ivies peel off, I cant imagine they were pleased with the way that ECAC ran tourney this weekend. I'm calling for realignment when this happens. My new league would be the Empire League, Tute, Onion, RIT, Gate, Clarkson, SLU, Niagara, Cansius, Niagara. I would be league czar and Fishcore would be Dir. of Officiating.
        Niagara has two teams?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

as a twist, I wonder when UMass will get voted off the HE island. That program has turned into an embarassment and not a good look for HE.
          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
            as a twist, I wonder when UMass will get voted off the HE island. That program has turned into an embarassment and not a good look for HE.
            KICK PROVICED} OUT OF HOCKEY RAST!!!

Had to.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
              UMASS correctly took a pass on Mongo, expect Ben Barr to get UMASS job.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Niagara has two teams?
                Yes, one on each side of the falls. The Canadian side team is in better shape than the American side team.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                  Yes, one on each side of the falls. The Canadian side team is in better shape than the American side team.
                  I also think QU is a goner. I think a NY team fits best as a replacement because a spin-off of the IVY teams would leave CHC all by itself in MA. RIT makes more sense to me!

Comment

The problem with RIT is the travel partner situation. If you assume Quinny out, RIT in, you're left with Princeton and RIT unpaired. That's a 5 hour, 23 minute drive from Princeton to Rochester, so it's obviously not an option. In order to minimize the driving distances between travel partners, everyone but Clarkson and SLU have to be broken up and repaired. You're left with Dartmouth-RPI, Colgate-Union, Cornell-RIT, Princeton-Yale, and Harvard-Brown (solution found by simulated annealing). So no more RPI-Union and Colgate-Cornell rivalry pairs and an overall increase in distance between travel pairs. The Cornell-Princeton pair suggested by FlagDUDE is a four hour drive, a 50% increase over the current long pair (Princeton-Quinnipiac).

Holy Cross, on the other hand, allows you to leave everything alone except Yale-Brown, which is split in favor of Yale-Princeton, and Brown-HC, which is better for distances than even our current system.

If emotions were the only thing involved in picking a new team, RIT is the definite choice, as any conference could stand to use another Upstate NY engineering school (please don't start arguing "upstate"). That said, they just don't make sense geographically. They'd be about as remote as Princeton is now, and would make the OG Tigers have to travel even further.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                      The problem with RIT is the travel partner situation. If you assume Quinny out, RIT in, you're left with Princeton and RIT unpaired. That's a 5 hour, 23 minute drive from Princeton to Rochester, so it's obviously not an option. In order to minimize the driving distances between travel partners, everyone but Clarkson and SLU have to be broken up and repaired. You're left with Dartmouth-RPI, Colgate-Union, Cornell-RIT, Princeton-Yale, and Harvard-Brown (solution found by simulated annealing). So no more RPI-Union and Colgate-Cornell rivalry pairs and an overall increase in distance between travel pairs. The Cornell-Princeton pair suggested by FlagDUDE is a four hour drive, a 50% increase over the current long pair (Princeton-Quinnipiac).

Holy Cross, on the other hand, allows you to leave everything alone except Yale-Brown, which is split in favor of Yale-Princeton, and Brown-HC, which is better for distances than even our current system.

If emotions were the only thing involved in picking a new team, RIT is the definite choice, as any conference could stand to use another Upstate NY engineering school (please don't start arguing "upstate"). That said, they just don't make sense geographically. They'd be about as remote as Princeton is now, and would make the OG Tigers have to travel even further.
                      Completely valid points that I agree with. Just think it's jumping the gun to assume Quinnipiac goes to HE. As has been mentioned on other threads and the college hockey community at large - why? They are quite successful where they currently are. A jump to Hockey East is no guarantee of remaining elite among your competition, those teams mostly recruit top, top players. Arguments for are largely about increased exposure, as HE does a much better job of branding and getting itself on TV than ECAC (how bad the ECAC is at these things is a whole separate issue).

I've also read, though have no way to confirm, the administration at Quinnipiac very much likes being in the same breath as Harvard and Yale. If that's true, you definitely lose some school prestige in HE. In general, I think HE taking HC or Mercyhurst is the most likely outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
                        Completely valid points that I agree with. Just think it's jumping the gun to assume Quinnipiac goes to HE. As has been mentioned on other threads and the college hockey community at large - why? They are quite successful where they currently are. A jump to Hockey East is no guarantee of remaining elite among your competition, those teams mostly recruit top, top players. Arguments for are largely about increased exposure, as HE does a much better job of branding and getting itself on TV than ECAC (how bad the ECAC is at these things is a whole separate issue).

I've also read, though have no way to confirm, the administration at Quinnipiac very much likes being in the same breath as Harvard and Yale. If that's true, you definitely lose some school prestige in HE. In general, I think HE taking HC or Mercyhurst is the most likely outcome.
                        I don't see any way they take Mercyhurst. That is bad travel situation, a small rink not even close to HE standards. Quinnipiac will be the first choice of HE. If they turn they down then HC gets dibs.
                        QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                        2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                        2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                        2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                        https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                        https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                        https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                          I don't see any way they take Mercyhurst. That is bad travel situation, a small rink not even close to HE standards. Quinnipiac will be the first choice of HE. If they turn they down then HC gets dibs.
                          lol
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

I agree that Q'pac to HE is far from certain. Remember, HE went a couple of years with 11 teams before ND came in. Q'Pac may indeed prefer rubbing elbows with the Ivies, as does RPI, Union, SLU and CCT.
                            Q'Pac and perhaps RPI are the only likely choices for HE at this juncture. I think RPI is a long shot, at best. I don't believe HC has a suitable rink - does anyone here know? Mercyhurst is too far, doesn't have a comparable building and is just not similar enough to most of the other schools in the league. So, I think it is very difficult to have any idea how this will shake out. If Q'Pac switches to HE, it could be the catalyst for the Ivies to finally split off, take an auto bid and leave the rest of the ECACH teams to fend for themselves with even less to market to TV and national advertisers than they have now. I don't think that will happen just yet, but it could. A league with the remaining 5 ECACH (NY) teams scrambling to get enough viable programs to fill out the league and maintain its automatic NCAA bid would be very sad to watch. At that point, RIT (which is the only NY technical university to make the NCAA in the past several years) and Robert Morris would be "must gets" for the Empire League. They would need 3 more decent teams to be more than a mid-major conference and I don't know where they would come from. Mercyhurst might be one, but pickings get very slim after that, unless there are any new D I programs planning to launch soon. This could make for a very interesting off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                              When I wrote Mercyhust, I was thinking of Bentley. Quite different. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasma View Post
                                I agree that Q'pac to HE is far from certain. Remember, HE went a couple of years with 11 teams before ND came in. Q'Pac may indeed prefer rubbing elbows with the Ivies, as does RPI, Union, SLU and CCT.
                                Q'Pac and perhaps RPI are the only likely choices for HE at this juncture. I think RPI is a long shot, at best. I don't believe HC has a suitable rink - does anyone here know? Mercyhurst is too far, doesn't have a comparable building and is just not similar enough to most of the other schools in the league. So, I think it is very difficult to have any idea how this will shake out. If Q'Pac switches to HE, it could be the catalyst for the Ivies to finally split off, take an auto bid and leave the rest of the ECACH teams to fend for themselves with even less to market to TV and national advertisers than they have now. I don't think that will happen just yet, but it could. A league with the remaining 5 ECACH (NY) teams scrambling to get enough viable programs to fill out the league and maintain its automatic NCAA bid would be very sad to watch. At that point, RIT (which is the only NY technical university to make the NCAA in the past several years) and Robert Morris would be "must gets" for the Empire League. They would need 3 more decent teams to be more than a mid-major conference and I don't know where they would come from. Mercyhurst might be one, but pickings get very slim after that, unless there are any new D I programs planning to launch soon. This could make for a very interesting off-season.
                                Here are WAP's thoughts on the topic. http://www.withoutapeer.com/2016/03/moving-parts.html

Comment

Working...
                                X