Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Game of Thrones Season 6: Lions and Wolves and Sand Snakes, oh my!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I'm not bitter, I'm logistically irritated.

The hallmark of good fantasy is you make something make believe -- magic, dragons, god -- real, but then the rest of the world operates along the same mundane rules.
    And the mundane rules of the real world are usually what cause the little problems that hinder solving the BIG THING within the story.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      If it isn't directly brought up by the show itself, it is easier to ignore.
      I don't foresee starvation of the armies being much of a plot point going forward. In my opinion, Sansa's food comment was intended as part of her expression of bitterness directed to Dany.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        And the mundane rules of the real world are usually what cause the little problems that hinder solving the BIG THING within the story.
        Terry Pratchett was terrific at this.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I don't foresee starvation of the armies being much of a plot point going forward. In my opinion, Sansa's food comment was intended as part of her expression of bitterness directed to Dany.
          Oh, definitely. Also to remind us that she is her own woman, now. As she said at some point, she's a slow learner... but she learns. She's Catelyn 2.0.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
            One thing I had a problem with was when Sam told Jon about Dany killing his family he expressed shock and says, "She didn't tell you?" When, exactly, would she have mentioned this to him? In her grand plan his House was a minor annoyance, not a player like the Lannisters, Starks or even Tyrells. It isn't like she's going to give Jon a roll call of all the people Drogon burned alive.
            I agree with St. Clown's comment but I also think the way Tyrion talks about the Tarly family in that scene, it seems like the Tarly clan is a big deal but the show has never really given it's due? Like until recently we didn't care about Greyjoys but now they're a big deal...idk. It seems like someone would have brought up the destruction of an "important" family even if it was just Tyrion dropping it to Snow in conversation?
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I suspect the food issues will be fixed by half the army dying in two weeks.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                I agree with St. Clown's comment but I also think the way Tyrion talks about the Tarly family in that scene, it seems like the Tarly clan is a big deal but the show has never really given it's due? Like until recently we didn't care about Greyjoys but now they're a big deal...idk. It seems like someone would have brought up the destruction of an "important" family even if it was just Tyrion dropping it to Snow in conversation?
                The families were on a tiered system below the King. Tier 1 - wardens of the area. Tier 2 - families like Karstarks in the North, seen as influential in the region, but serve the wardens. Tier 3 - they own land, but are seen as relatively poor and insignificant except when otherwise needed. The Tarlys were committed to High Garden, so they struck me as a Tier 2 family.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

That felt a little weird watching Arya...

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Twincest: OK
                    Aunt and nephew: OK
                    Arya and Gendry: GAH!

Comment

Podrick's voice is wonderful!
                      the state of hockey is good

Comment

So many awesome moments tonight. One liners galore!

My prediction is both Bran and the Night King die next week. The last three episodes are going to be the war against Cersei and the aftermath of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          That goes away when you realize Maisie Williams is 22...
                          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                          Originally posted by Quizmire
                          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            So many awesome moments tonight. One liners galore!

My prediction is both Bran and the Night King die next week. The last three episodes are going to be the war against Cersei and the aftermath of that.
                            It would be surprising if there were 3 more episodes where the Night King was alive after the “big battle” and we don’t have people like Dany, Jon, Tyrion etc. around.

I think it’s plausible that our hero trio or some of them survive as well as the Night King, but it’d be a stretch. I think we’re going to lose a lot of main characters next week sadly.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Interesting that Dany's first reaction wasn't "Oh man, I've been shagging my nephew" it was worrying about the throne.

Wasn't her whole motivation that she was going to "break the wheel" because that doesn't seem to be part of her plan anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Interesting that Dany's first reaction wasn't "Oh man, I've been shagging my nephew" it was worrying about the throne.

Wasn't her whole motivation that she was going to "break the wheel" because that doesn't seem to be part of her plan anymore.
                                They seem to be trying to introduce the idea that her Targarean blood is infecting her soul, or something. Frodo with the ring.

But hey, Arya sideboob FTW.

Is that drecky Irish singer sleeping with the director a la Kate Capshaw? Her music is horrible.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 04-22-2019, 08:29 AM.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X