Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota hosts Wisconsin: 3/11 & 3/12

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    As you say, the Gophers can collapse like the worst of 'em. The fact that they do have some pretty decent talent only makes their tendency to collapse that much more puzzling, and frustrating for their diehard fans, like me. Yes, they really should sweep this weekend, especially at home, but seriously how much would you bet on it?
    That the Gophers sweep? Probably not a lot. But I would bet quite a bit that they don't get swept (which was originally what you were saying you wouldn't be too surprised by).

Early last year when I'd look at the Badgers' results and record, I would think to myself "man they are struggling, but they are going to get better. They are better than their record."
    Then I went to both games when they came into Mariucci, and came away thinking "man, these guys are just bad."

They aren't a whole lot better this year. If a team doesn't show up against them then the Badgers might be able to snap them off once...but not twice.

Comment

You guys are really pessimistic.

Gophers sweep.

100%

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        You guys are really pessimistic.

Gophers sweep.

100%
        Yeah. I'm on board. But that MSU blow out stung.
        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
          Yeah. I'm on board. But that MSU blow out stung.
          Whatever.

We're beyond horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            That the Gophers sweep? Probably not a lot. But I would bet quite a bit that they don't get swept (which was originally what you were saying you wouldn't be too surprised by).
            I think I said that I wouldn't be "shocked" if the Gophers got swept, but I acknowledge now that perhaps I was being too pessimistic. Still can't be as optimistic as Gurtholfin's "100%" however.

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
            Early last year when I'd look at the Badgers' results and record, I would think to myself "man they are struggling, but they are going to get better. They are better than their record." Then I went to both games when they came into Mariucci, and came away thinking "man, these guys are just bad."
            Unfortunately there have been times this season when one could have formed a similar opinion about the Gophers (like their 1-7 record vs. other Minnesota teams). But unlike the Badgers last season, the Gophers started to play much better and began to win more games than they were losing. Hopefully they can put last weekend's poor outing in East Lansing behind them and be at their best the rest of the way. As a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet 5mn_Major's car on it.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
              does Barry KNOW hockey coaches?
              I don't even think he knows the ones he has on staff right now.

[Taking it seriously]
              The rumor is that he's farming out the search for the next coach to a group run by his considerably more talented predecessor (all of this provided that hockey alums pony up for the buyout of Eaves, of course), so it turns out hat he doesn't even have to.
              [/Taking it seriously]

Now eat it, you classless rube.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

[Taking it seriously]
                The rumor is that he's farming out the search for the next coach to a group run by his considerably more talented predecessor (all of this provided that hockey alums pony up for the buyout of Eaves, of course), so it turns out hat he doesn't even have to.
                [/Taking it seriously]

LOL. He's going to make the hockey community pay for his stupidity? Oh, that's rich.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post

[Taking it seriously]
                  [/Taking it seriously]

This is funny in so many ways. They should add a surcharge on to season ticket holders to pay off Mike.
                  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                  Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

This is funny in so many ways. They should add a surcharge on to season ticket holders to pay off Mike.
                    They still own season tickets for this program. Haven't they suffered enough?
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

They should add a surcharge on to season ticket holders to pay off Mike.

Sounds good to me. I'll drink to that...

Comment

I hate this when we suck and you guys are...OK. I posted before the last series...I got nuthin'; it's not even fun.

But...WHEN we get better, and you get better, and we're both near the top nationally....I can't wait....sends chills up my spine, ****in' A!
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

“I don’t see how we can be overconfident about anything,” Lucia said. “We’ve proven we can beat anybody, but we’ve also proven anybody can beat us. We certainly are a team with plenty of flaws. But when we are on, we play a pretty good brand of hockey. We take a couple steps forward and take a step back. That’s kind of how it’s been throughout the season.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-c...end/371751171/
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

And to your point D2D (my .02 worth ), I expect to see the "pretty good brand of hockey" displayed in this final home series of the regular season by the Minnesota Golden Gophers. This is a team with very promising talent and despite their flaws, they've fought from a dismal start to the season to a potential RS Big Ten championship on home ice this weekend and it's something they can be proud of.

Although some may think the opportunity to hang a Big Ten RS championship banner again is relatively insignificant compared to grander expectations, it means a lot to these guys who have battled through a learning curve all season and it should to the fans too. I expect to see a lot of energy out of the gate, and hopefully they will carry that momentum into the postseason next week.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                              And to your point D2D (my .02 worth ), I expect to see the "pretty good brand of hockey" displayed in this final home series of the regular season by the Minnesota Golden Gophers. This is a team with very promising talent and despite their flaws, they've fought from a dismal start to the season to a potential RS Big Ten championship on home ice this weekend and it's something they can be proud of.

Although some may think the opportunity to hang a Big Ten RS championship banner again is relatively insignificant compared to grander expectations, it means a lot to these guys who have battled through a learning curve all season and it should to the fans too. I expect to see a lot of energy out of the gate, and hopefully they will carry that momentum into the postseason next week.
                              Agree with your sentiments except for one.

IMHO the Gophers are not a lot of energy out of the gate team.

With few exceptions I can recall, they never have been.

And that's OK.

To me, they take a more studious approach. Get out there, take a couple of shifts and then go to work.

Seems to work for them, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                                Agree with your sentiments except for one.

IMHO the Gophers are not a lot of energy out of the gate team.

With few exceptions I can recall, they never have been.

And that's OK.

To me, they take a more studious approach. Get out there, take a couple of shifts and then go to work.

Seems to work for them, I guess.
                                Well, they are 10-3 when scoring first and 11-2 when leading after the 1st. So I hope they do show that same energy and take the early lead in both games to close out the season on a high note.

Comment

Working...
                                X