Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers vs Michigan Wolverines: 2/25-2/26 A big BIG series

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    It is a tough series to predict. Could home ice on the big sheet be an advantage?
    While Michigan doesn't have a big sheet to practice on, they're fast, and the offense should do well on the big ice...but the big ice will likely make the defensive lapses that much more prominent.

I'm obviously hoping for Michigan to sweep, I'm realistically thinking a split, and I won't be too surprised if my Wolverines get swept.

Considering the opponents each team has left, I think if the Gophers get at least 3 points this weekend, they win the B1G regular season.
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

Been a real up and down year. A real crappy year for non-conference. A real crappy year against in-state rivals. If Minnesota wants to show anything for the season sweeping Michigan would be a good way to start.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
        While Michigan doesn't have a big sheet to practice on, they're fast, and the offense should do well on the big ice...but the big ice will likely make the defensive lapses that much more prominent.

I'm obviously hoping for Michigan to sweep, I'm realistically thinking a split, and I won't be too surprised if my Wolverines get swept.

Considering the opponents each team has left, I think if the Gophers get at least 3 points this weekend, they win the B1G regular season.
        Agreed the big sheet should open up a high octane speed game for both teams.

If the Gophers can pick up 3, indeed they have the weaker opponents ahead with Michigan State and Wisconsin, while you guys have Ohio State and finish at home with Penn State.

What concerns me the most is we've had some trouble closing out teams and your team is outscoring opponents by an insane margin of 55-20 in the third!!

Comment

Someone asked in a different thread so I thought I would share the following:
          I tried to do quick numbers since the start of the B1G hockey conference and got these stats for at least 3 games played at Mariucci for visiting team's records:
          Michigan = 0-4
          Minnesota-Duluth = 3-1
          MSU = 1-4-1
          OSU = 0-6
          PSU = 1-5
          SCSU = 2-1
          Wisconsin = 0-3-1

Harvard, Merrimack, Minnesota State, and Vermont each have one win and no losses at Mariucci. I might have missed something but Minnesota has played well at home in the B1G and most of their home losses have been against non-conference foes.

Comment

I think what you mean to say is Minnesota has played well at home against not very good teams and bad against good teams.

This week is a huge test.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              While Michigan doesn't have a big sheet to practice on, they're fast, and the offense should do well on the big ice...but the big ice will likely make the defensive lapses that much more prominent..
              Though Yost does not have the larger ice size, Michigan does practice on a larger sheet of ice prior to away games at rinks with larger dimensions whenever possible. They get ice time at The Cube, a local complex with several indoor rinks. They did this prior to this season's series in Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
                Someone asked in a different thread so I thought I would share the following:
                I tried to do quick numbers since the start of the B1G hockey conference and got these stats for at least 3 games played at Mariucci for visiting team's records:
                Michigan = 0-4
                Minnesota-Duluth = 3-1
                MSU = 1-4-1
                OSU = 0-6
                PSU = 1-5
                SCSU = 2-1
                Wisconsin = 0-3-1

Harvard, Merrimack, Minnesota State, and Vermont each have one win and no losses at Mariucci. I might have missed something but Minnesota has played well at home in the B1G and most of their home losses have been against non-conference foes.
                So in other words the only two teams you listed above that have a winning record at Mariucci are out of conference (NCHC). No surprise

Comment

Polls are polls but #6 Michigan is the highest ranked team the Gophers have faced all year. UMD, SCSU, and Harvard were ranked #7 when they played.

I am nervous, but excited for this series. Skjei shut down Larkin last year. This year, there is no one to shut down Connor. Wonder if any neutrals will tune into BTN for a college hockey fix on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
                    There have been plenty of seats available. Standing views are as good as they get.
                    Agreed, although in the past, I've bought SRO tickets of games where I know the fanbase rather well (BSU, MTU) and basically just sat in the first 5-6 rows off the ice in "their" allotted section. I think that may be different for WI, but I also don't mind standing on the rail. The view is still great.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      I think what you mean to say is Minnesota has played well at home against not very good teams and bad against good teams.

This week is a huge test.
                      Since when is Michigan a "not very good" team?
                      National championships won by Big Ten schools : 23 (Michigan 9, Wisconsin 6, Minnesota 5, Michigan State 3, Ohio State 0, Penn State 0, Notre Dame 0)
                      National championships won by NCHC schools : 21 (North Dakota 8, Denver 8, MN-Duluth 3, Colorado College 2, St. Cloud State 0, Miami 0, NE-Omaha 0, Western Michigan 0)

23 > 21

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Kills View Post
                        They are second place in a crappy conference, according to the haters. Therefore, they really suck.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Didn't make the tournament either year. The stats are not saying they aren't good this year.

Comment

Since they haven't played good team defense in about half a decade.
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Last year this rivalry featured sweeps by the home teams. Gophers salvaged a split earlier this season in Ann Arbor so I'm thinking a split at Mariucci would be the most likely outcome.
                              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Especially since these teams haven't tied since 1975!

Comment

Working...
                                X