PAIR WISE has Bemidji on the outside looking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAIR WISE has Bemidji on the outside looking in

Looking at the Pair wise and if the National tournament started today Bemidji St. would be excluded. I find this shocking. Bemidji St is having their strongest season in history and has a record of 22-1-3 against teams not named Minnesota or Wisconsin. With WCHA teams winning every national championship but one you would think Bemidji would gain a little more respect. There are no weekends off in the Midwest.

Re: PAIR WISE has Bemidji on the outside looking in

It is time to expand the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
      It is time to expand the field.
      As long as "expand the field" means more than Bemidji vs North Dakota, with the winner earning a trip to play Minn or Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Bladedskates View Post
        Looking at the Pair wise and if the National tournament started today Bemidji St. would be excluded. I find this shocking. Bemidji St is having their strongest season in history and has a record of 22-1-3 against teams not named Minnesota or Wisconsin. With WCHA teams winning every national championship but one you would think Bemidji would gain a little more respect. There are no weekends off in the Midwest.
        They deserve to be in it and they have respect across the league.

Having said that, if the purpose of the tournament is to crown the Nat'l Champion, BSU has had several chances this season to beat championship contenders Minn and Wisc. They do get another chance at them in the WCHA tourney.

Having said THAT, NE has had several chances to beat championship contender BC and failed. For some reason, the math gods think NE is better than BSU. I don't.

Comment

You can't expand the field, not even close to enough teams. and thats not the best solution, either. The NCAA Selection Committee simply needs only to abandon the PAIRWISE as the sole tool used to determine the teams that make the playoffs. The Pairwise depends so heavily on the RPI rating system, which is a very flawed rating system. If you aren't sure one way or the other, talk to some serious cbb fans and find out what they think of the RPI rating system. Cbb fans for the most part HATE the rpi. I'm not even sure if cfb recognizes the rpi rating system at all?

Take a look at the Krach Ratings and Bemidji St ranks 7th, same as where they rank in both of the popular polls, and North Dakota is 9th.

So the RPI based Pairwise is the only rating system out there that seems unable to recognize that Bemidji St is one of the best 7 teams in the country.

But to be honest, I am a WCHA fan, and so believe it would be a crime if BSU wasn't included in this year's NCAA tourney, and suspect that North Dakota is probably one of the Top 8 teams as well, but I am far more of a Gopher's fan, so the Gopher fan in me won't be too disappointed that BSU and UND don't make it into the NCAA tourney, as I'd be far more worried about losing to UND or BSU in a one game winner advances format, than I'd be worried about losing to any of the eastern teams outside of BC.
          Last edited by FredsDeadFriend; 02-21-2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FredsDeadFriend View Post
            the Gopher fan in me won't be too disappointed that BSU and UND don't make it into the NCAA tourney, as I'd be far more worried about losing to UND or BSU in a one game winner advances format
            Yes

Not only that, but we play these guys a lot already.

Comment

If you guys just bumped the old threads about this every year we could conserve some internet
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                If you guys just bumped the old threads about this every year we could conserve some internet
                If you're a fan of UND or Bemidji it's a very real issue. Imagine what it would be like if we had any of them here

Yes, it's mostly just us Gopher fans, and a few Wisco's, regurgitating about it's unfairness but really how happy we are we don't have to play them again

Comment

Tell you what. You guys do something about BSU/ND being screwed out of the tournament every year, and we'll do something about BC having bad attendance, and all of our annual problems will be solved!

Should be easy right?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                    Honestly, how many of the posts by any of us are new and interesting? It's hard to get new input on the forum if we require everyone to go back and read all previous threads before they post anything.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                      They deserve to be in it and they have respect across the league.

Having said that, if the purpose of the tournament is to crown the Nat'l Champion, BSU has had several chances this season to beat championship contenders Minn and Wisc. They do get another chance at them in the WCHA tourney.

Having said THAT, NE has had several chances to beat championship contender BC and failed. For some reason, the math gods think NE is better than BSU. I don't.
                      The WCHA has four teams in the bottom half of the Pairwise and BSU played them 16 times. Best win was over #11 North Dakota. Add in a very weak non-conference schedule and it's not hard to see why it will be close.

Comment

Bemidji out + CHA team in = unsavory. That's my math.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                          Bemidji out + CHA team in = unsavory. That's my math.
                          This is what I see in the bottom half of the pairwise
                          St Cloud is not in bottom half of the pairwise. So WCHA has 3 teams in bottom half.
                          WCHA 37.5% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 58.33%
                          ECAC 41.67% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 17.86%
                          HE 66.67% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 33.33%
                          CHA 66.67% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 34.82%

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Honestly, how many of the posts by any of us are new and interesting? It's hard to get new input on the forum if we require everyone to go back and read all previous threads before they post anything.
                            It was tongue in cheek, I'm aware there is an infinite amount of internet lol

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                              This is what I see in the bottom half of the pairwise
                              St Cloud is not in bottom half of the pairwise. So WCHA has 3 teams in bottom half.
                              WCHA 37.5% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 58.33%
                              ECAC 41.67% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 17.86%
                              HE 66.67% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 33.33%
                              CHA 66.67% of teams in bottom half of pairwise-those teams non conference winning % of 34.82%

There you go ruining all the fun by inserting facts into the discussion. It's so much more fun for the people trying to argue the ridiculous when there aren't any facts to get in the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X