Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Star Cup 1/30-31 - SCSU, UM, BSU, MSU-M: Who is drinking where?

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
    I just hope the City Pages will be there to cover the proceedings, and their nefarious writer that wrote the Power Play article will write another "hit-piece" and drive the final stake into the heart of the Gopher hockey program.
    Yes, because their college hockey coverage is legendary. Maybe Reusse will write the intro.
    You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

I just hope the City Pages will be there to cover the proceedings, and their nefarious writer that wrote the Power Play article will write another "hit-piece" and drive the final stake into the heart of the Gopher hockey program.
      You mean the garbage article being mocked by virtually everyone with an IQ above 5? The one written by the author that thinks so little of your program that (in his view) the Gophers have no business ever losing to SCSU?

So which is it? Are the Gophers in free fall because your program is garbage and we (gasp) lose to you on occassion, or is the author a moron?

I could sit here for days and point out the delicious absurdity in that article, but we both know you aren't interested in the reality.

Funniest part of your comment is that you don't even realize the article is a bigger insult to your program than ours.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

Funniest part of your comment is that you don't even realize the article is a bigger insult to your program than ours.
        That part is delicious

Comment

You mean the garbage article being mocked by virtually everyone with an IQ above 5? The one written by the author that thinks so little of your program that (in his view) the Gophers have no business ever losing to SCSU?

So which is it? Are the Gophers in free fall because your program is garbage and we (gasp) lose to you on occassion, or is the author a moron?

I could sit here for days and point out the delicious absurdity in that article, but we both know you aren't interested in the reality.

It doesn't seem like you thought my comment was funny. You seem pretty angry about it actually.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

It doesn't seem like you thought my comment was funny. You seem pretty angry about it actually.
            Nope. Not at all.

Like I said, the article was more a slam on your programs than ours. And anyone who is capable of coherent thought knows your programs aren't the jokes the author makes them out to be. Disagree?

And let's not pretend you didn't just realize how big of a slam this was to your program before I brought it up.

Comment

Nope. Not at all.

Like I said, the article was more a slam on your programs than ours. And anyone who is capable of coherent thought knows your programs aren't the jokes the author makes them out to be. Disagree?

And let's not pretend you didn't just realize how big of a slam this was to your program before I brought it up.
              Reading comprehension is an attribute he struggles with.

Comment

The funniest part of your comment is that you took my post seriously and think that an article in the City Pages about the program falling off a little bit is going to send the program into a tailspin. Here is my serious response to you:

I don't agree that the article is being mocked by everyone with an IQ above 5. It is being dismissed by Gopher fans and largely ignored by everyone else. It is fun watching the Gophers get so wound up about it though, and I think that there is some truth in the article.

Your "which is it?" is a false dichotomy. The Gophers might not be in free fall, but have fallen off from where the program was in the early-mid 2000s.

I don't think the author is a moron. I don't work at the City Pages and neither does anyone else that I have seen comment about it. Maybe he was assigned to write about why the Gopher hockey program is in decline, and that he didn't come up with the idea for the article. For it to be a hit piece, there has to be intent to make the program look bad. I don't know the author or his motives, so I can't say one way or the other.

I know my program isn't garbage and everyone else that follows hockey knows it, too. Our current senior class has been to a Frozen Four, has two conference titles, and is probably on the way to another one of those two this year, they could win the NCAA title.

I am sure you could, but I am not a masochist.

I don't really care much about the Gopher hockey program. They aren't in our conference any more so when we aren't playing them I don't really care what they do. I think that most of their fans on this board and on GPL are pompous gasbags, though, so I enjoy getting them riled up when I can.
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

I am pretty sure he is lacking a humor gene or two. Why did you have to get him all lathered up about Gophers and such? We won't hear the end of this...
                  "...and that only took six seconds!"

Comment

Nope. Not at all.

You can say that until you are blue in the face. It doesn't make it true.

You guys are the ones who don't think we are on your level, and you make it known any time you interact with one of us on this board. The expectation is that with the financial advantages and recruiting advantages the Gopher hockey program has over the other in-state teams, is that the Gophers should be better. How is that a slam on our program? How is that making the other in-state programs out to be a joke? It is a reasonable expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by firstpusk View Post
                      I am pretty sure he is lacking a humor gene or two. Why did you have to get him all lathered up about Gophers and such? We won't hear the end of this...
                      Been a while since I reeled a big one in.

Comment

Like I said, the article was more a slam on your programs than ours.
                        I don't know that the Huskies were slammed. They got a nice picture in the article, after all. Specifically, the Mavs were cited as being average, in an anonymous quote from an NHL scout ("You blow a two-goal lead with three minutes in your own barn against an average team, and it's a freshman's fault. It's another example of how they've lowered their standards, and Lucia gets away with it"). Since we swept BSU and got swept by SCSU, I suppose the implication is that the Huskies are above average, and the Beavs are below average.

Being called average is actually about the nicest thing the Twin Cities media has ever said about us, so we're thinking of posting it on a wall. "MSU-M: Recognized in the Twin Cities as Average!"

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                          I don't know that the Huskies were slammed. They got a nice picture in the article, after all. Specifically, the Mavs were cited as being average, in an anonymous quote from an NHL scout ("You blow a two-goal lead with three minutes in your own barn against an average team, and it's a freshman's fault. It's another example of how they've lowered their standards, and Lucia gets away with it"). Since we swept BSU and got swept by SCSU, I suppose the implication is that the Huskies are above average, and the Beavs are below average.

Being called average is actually about the nicest thing the Twin Cities media has ever said about us, so we're thinking of posting it on a wall. "MSU-M: Recognized in the Twin Cities as Average!"
                          And yet billionaire and former state senator Glen Taylor, who owns the Strib, City Pages, Timberwolves and Lynx lives and works in Mankato. I'm guessing he thinks Mankato and everything in it is above average. Especially MSUM since he attended there before Harvard.
                          Last edited by SteveO; 01-25-2016, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                            Bringing the humor unlike a certain set of fans.

Unfortunately 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. games suck for me here.

Comment

You can say that until you are blue in the face. It doesn't make it true.

You guys are the ones who don't think we are on your level, and you make it known any time you interact with one of us on this board. The expectation is that with the financial advantages and recruiting advantages the Gopher hockey program has over the other in-state teams, is that the Gophers should be better. How is that a slam on our program? How is that making the other in-state programs out to be a joke? It is a reasonable expectation.
                              Dude, one of the main premises of his article was that our program is in shambles because we aren't consistently beating the snot out of lowly programs (his interpretation) like yours.

Again, which is it. Are the Gophers struggling because they're losing to crappy programs like yours or is the author misguided because your program isn't crappy?

Comment

Dude, one of the main premises of his article was that our program is in shambles because we aren't consistently beating the snot out of lowly programs (his interpretation) like yours.

Again, which is it. Are the Gophers struggling because they're losing to crappy programs like yours or is the author misguided because your program isn't crappy?
                                The writer didn't mention SCSU at all in that article. He mentioned the other programs as the ones as being indicative of Gopher hockey being in shambles. Unless it's been edited since its original release, that is.

ETA: the exact quote is this:

Contrast this with Minnesota's supposedly lesser neighbors, schools like Duluth, Mankato, and Nebraska-Omaha, which have come to surpass the Goliath of Dinkytown.

Those teams may get the "leftover" players, those lacking the pedigree to find their way to the West Bank, says Pete Waggoner, a writer for Minnesota Hockey Magazine. "What happens is those players have to be a little more workmanlike, a little more lunch pail. You've got guys that are hungry, guys that are proud to wear that sweater and will do whatever they can to best represent it."
                                Last edited by St. Clown; 01-25-2016, 04:11 PM.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X