College Hockey's Greatest Upsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    If you're referring to BU/Denver, both INCH and Wikipedia confirm the OT.

If you're referring to BU/Michigan, my error was corrected before you posted. Maybe the posts crossed in the mail?
    I was referring to BU-Michigan. BU had a 3-1 lead in that one. Michigan scored late, but couldn't get the equalizer.

The posts must have crossed, because it's even accurate in the quote, too.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      And then we lost in OT in the semis to SLU.

Just for the record, the semis become first-to-3-points, not best-of-three, the next season. A win and a tie would end it after 2 games.
      You are correct Ralph. I forgot about that. It actually is a better format then the best of three. There were games where teams were pulling their goaltender in a tie game in OT needing a win.

Comment

Re: College Hockey's Greatest Upsets

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I was referring to BU-Michigan. BU had a 3-1 lead in that one. Michigan scored late, but couldn't get the equalizer.

The posts must have crossed, because it's even accurate in the quote, too.
        Yup, must have crossed.

As is happens, my correction and your post were only 8 minutes apart. What's weird is that you had the error version on your computer screen, but when hitting Quote, the board gave you the corrected version -- which by then was in the system. Didn't know it worked that way. Guess the moral of the story is to refresh your screen immediately before quoting. But who woulda thunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Siouxfaninseattle View Post
          The 1997 UND championship was a bit of a surprise to Sioux fans. They had a good team but not a lot of stars. It was Dean's first NC.
          Building on that, my purely subjective opinion is that while Michigan had the most talented team in '97, North Dakota had that edge in '98. Of course the actual titles were flipped. That made those championships especially noteworthy to me, even if the specific upsets weren't all that unlikely.

As I know you recall, UND & UM did play head-to-head in '98 -- at one of the infamous Yost Regionals. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Comment

by definition, #16 over #1.
            XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
            Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Building on that, my purely subjective opinion is that while Michigan had the most talented team in '97, North Dakota had that edge in '98. Of course the actual titles were flipped. That made those championships especially noteworthy to me, even if the specific upsets weren't all that unlikely.

As I know you recall, UND & UM did play head-to-head in '98 -- at one of the infamous Yost Regionals. But that's a whole 'nother story.
              Actually #1 ranked Michigan State arguably had the most talented team in 1998 - but also fell victim to that same infamous Yost regional when they were ousted by Ohio State. That game would be another possible candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                Actually #1 ranked Michigan State arguably had the most talented team in 1998 - but also fell victim to that same infamous Yost regional when they were ousted by Ohio State. That game would be another possible candidate.
                Why is that regional "infamous"?
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Respectfully disagree; though I have to say I totally disagree. By the end of the season, both the Spartans and Buckeyes were playing great. One week earlier at the Joe, the same two teams played for the CCHA Playoff Championship. The Spartans won that one in overtime. At the Regional, the Buckeyes won in overtime. They were both wonderful games; I personally attended both.

Had the Spartans blown us out at the Joe, only to be edged out a week later, maybe you'd have a case. I'm also not denying that, long term, MSU has a decidedly better hockey resume than we do. But in the post-season of 1998, the teams were evenly matched.

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                  Why is that regional "infamous"?
                  JJMc may have a different take; I'll let him speak for himself. But I was referring to Yost & Mariucci regionals as a group. The success of the Wolverines and Gophers on home ice galvanized most of the college hockey world to oppose regionals on campus. The depth and breadth of that opposition expressed itself in the recent vote by the coaches association, who voted overwhelming against a return to campus sites.

I'm going to leave it at that and suggest others do the same. No sense in hijacking a good thread. But you deserved an answer.

Note that if you have further interest in the campus sites debate, there's a lengthy thread on the subject, which should be easy to find with a website search. Hours of reading pleasure await.

Comment

Respectfully disagree; though I have to say I totally disagree. By the end of the season, both the Spartans and Buckeyes were playing great. One week earlier at the Joe, the same two teams played for the CCHA Playoff Championship. The Spartans won that one in overtime. At the Regional, the Buckeyes won in overtime. They were both wonderful games; I personally attended both.

Had the Spartans blown us out at the Joe, only to be edged out a week later, maybe you'd have a case. I'm also not denying that, long term, MSU has a decidedly better hockey resume than we do. But in the post-season of 1998, the teams were evenly matched.

JJMc may have a different take; I'll let him speak for himself. But I was referring to Yost & Mariucci regionals as a group. The success of the Wolverines and Gophers on home ice galvanized most of the college hockey world to oppose regionals on campus. The depth and breadth of that opposition expressed itself in the recent vote by the coaches association, who voted overwhelming against a return to campus sites.

I'm going to leave it at that and suggest others do the same. No sense in hijacking a good thread. But you deserved an answer.

Note that if you have further interest in the campus sites debate, there's a lengthy thread on the subject, which should be easy to find with a website search. Hours of reading pleasure await.
                    Agreed on the postseason resume. And I had forgotten about the OT epic at JLA, which was decided by a fluke goal off the skate of an OSU defenseman.

As far as the Yost issue, I'll just bring up one indelible image. Denver was the #1 seed at the 2002 regional, and were assigned a locker room across the parking lot in the baseball stadium. The sight of the Pioneer goalies being wheeled across the blacktop riding an equipment cart to get to the ice surface showed in one moment how that facility should never have been awarded ONE regional, let alone multiple times.

Comment

Agreed on the postseason resume. And I had forgotten about the OT epic at JLA, which was decided by a fluke goal off the skate of an OSU defenseman.

As far as the Yost issue, I'll just bring up one indelible image. Denver was the #1 seed at the 2002 regional, and were assigned a locker room across the parking lot in the baseball stadium. The sight of the Pioneer goalies being wheeled across the blacktop riding an equipment cart to get to the ice surface showed in one moment how that facility should never have been awarded ONE regional, let alone multiple times.
                      I believe that in two of those years, Michigan was the only school to even bid on that regional. IIRC, that was when the tourney expanded to 16 from 12, and they were the only bid to host the newly-created regional. What do you then?
                      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        by definition, #16 over #1.
                        So that would make Happy's vote last year's RIT win over Minnesota State.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                          So that would make Happy's vote last year's RIT win over Minnesota State.
                          Everything else is just one fans opinion over another, with many just picking when their favorite team got beat, or a team they hated lost. In hockey, many times all it takes for an upset is 2 people, a hot goalie, and a bad ref.
                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                          Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            I believe that in two of those years, Michigan was the only school to even bid on that regional. IIRC, that was when the tourney expanded to 16 from 12, and they were the only bid to host the newly-created regional. What do you then?
                            Exactly. Keep in mind that the NCAA decided that host schools if qualifying, get placed at the host rink. So, from a partisan standpoint it is just as unfair from a fanbase perspective as it was when campus sites were in play.

Now, if you want to pick the carcass JJMAC, go for it. Yost may not have had ideal accomodations but as Hammer points out, no one else stepped up. IIRC also, Michigan had to surrender their locker room since they were neither the #1 seed in '98, '02 or '03. And whether it was 2002 or 2003, I forget, the pregame spat with SCSU's mascot also prompted a change in the player exits to renovated locker room facilities now in place. Before there was only one exit for both teams.

I don't know what worked best, an exciting venue filled on a campus site, or mostly empty sterile neutral sites that try to accomodate the higher seeds fanbase.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                              Everything else is just one fans opinion over another, with many just picking when their favorite team got beat, or a team they hated lost. In hockey, many times all it takes for an upset is 2 people, a hot goalie, and a bad ref.
                              Just when I'm almost over it.
                              At some future reunion, Zach Palmquist will see Stephon Williams and say, "Hey, I haven't bumped into you since back in South Bend." And then we'll all start crying

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                                Now, if you want to pick the carcass JJMAC, go for it. Yost may not have had ideal accomodations but as Hammer points out, no one else stepped up... I don't know what worked best, an exciting venue filled on a campus site, or mostly empty sterile neutral sites that try to accomodate the higher seeds fanbase.
                                I'm on record as favoring campus sites for at least the first round of NCAA play, and I haven't changed my mind. But you've got to admit JJMAC's story is one seriously indelible image.

Comment

Working...
                                X