College Hockey's Greatest Upsets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey's Greatest Upsets

There's an article going around Twitter right now about Gopher hockey. In the article they called the Gophers 2014 title game loss to Union "greatest upset in hockey since the 1980 Miracle on Ice". While this is a simply laughable quote it got me thinking to what about other upsets in college hockey. I'd also note that their loss to Union was not an upset.

What is the greatest upset in college hockey? My vote is for the Holy Cross win over Minnesota in 2006. Gopher hockey was loaded with talent and if I recall correctly Holy Cross was only in the tournament because of an autobid. Other good upsets include BSU's run to the Frozen Four in 2009. I think they beat Denver and Air Force to go to the F4.

Your thoughts.
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Re: College Hockey's Greatest Upsets

UAA over BC in 1991. Twice.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Hoky called that union/goofs game. Can't really even be called an "upset".
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I've got to concur with the Holy Cross game.
        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

BSU beat Notre Dame (5-1) and Cornell (4-1) to get into the 09 Frozen Four.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I actually think one of the great college hockey upsets occurred about one year after the Miracle on Ice game.

In 1980-81, Colorado College was a below .500 team, and that spring played Wisconsin (the eventual national champs) in the WCHA playoffs, then a two game total goals series. Wisconsin had finished 2nd in the WCHA regular season, CC 7th.

Wisconsin, playing at home, won the first game 8-2, pretty much what everyone expected. The next night Wisconsin somehow managed to lose 11-4, on home ice no less, to drop the series 13-12, a series that at the time everyone assumed Wisconsin needed to win to get into the 8 team NCAA field.

I've often wondered what odds Vegas would have established for that series, after the first game.

Notwithstanding what I consider to be one of the great upsets in sports, the "backdoor Badgers" were still invited to the tournament and became the eventual champs.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

1994 WCHA Playoff series CC WCHA Champs MTU 10th place. MTU wins series (Friday and Sunday). CC fails to make NCAA Tournament.
              Last edited by ColoToot; 01-13-2016, 05:45 PM.

Comment

HC over Minn.
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  UAA over BC in 1991. Twice.
                  Clarkson over Lake State same year.

I think Bemidji beat Notre Dame in game 1 of the regionals.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Holy Cross over Minneota
                    RIT's run to the Frozen Four in Detroit over Denver and New Hampshire
                    RIT being the only #16 to beat a #1 against Minnesota State last year.

How about RIT in their first year of division I beating a then #18 St. Lawrence 3-2. The greatest goaltending exhibition I ever saw with Jocelyn Guimond getting 66 saves.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Air Force-Michigan 2009 NCAA tournament
                      SCSU Hockey: 2001 WCHA Playoff Champions, 2013 WCHA Champions & Frozen Four, 2014 NCHC Champions, 2016 NCHC Playoff Champions
                      UMD Women: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2010
                      Gopher Football: 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941, 1960
                      Johnnie Football: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003
                      UMD Football: 2008, 2010
                      UMD Men: 2011

Comment

Originally posted by HumRsky View Post
                        Air Force-Michigan 2009 NCAA tournament
                        I was there, Michigan sent the entire marching band, didn't help.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Yale over Quinnipiac in the 2013 title game. Actually every win in that run was a major upset and was thought by some to have been the hardest road to the final ever.
                          A 15 seed knocking off three number one seeds.
                          Last edited by LTsatch; 01-13-2016, 06:39 PM.
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

BC-Miami 2008 tournament. How the Eagles managed to defeat that burgeoning hockey dynasty I still don't understand to this day.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Now that I think about it, that comment in the article is even more ridiculous than I initially thought. My first thought was Holy Cross over Minnesota. That was huge because of the stakes, but every once in a while, a team that misses the tournament (by a lot) beats a top-ranked (or 2/3-ranked) team during the regular season. If you only want to go by how big of an underdog the winner is, games like Sacred Heart beating UMass-Lowell in 2013-14 come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X