X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun Control 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    So lets not do anything...brilliant plan!
    Quite frankly, what was done yesterday was a whole lot of nothing, save for emoting and crocodile tears.

If there were awesome stats for "loophole" sales (no FFL dealer involved transactions) leading to deaths they'd have been rolled out yesterday.
    If sales to the mentally ill were the issue, those stats would've been rolled out also.

California, Oregon, and Colorado have some of the toughest state level gun laws out there, already including the Exec Order provisions of yesterday. Last three mass shootings in US?
    San Bernadino, Umpqua Comm College, Colorado Springs.

Better? (I guess ... ) Worse?
    Most horrific mass shooting of late?

Paris.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Agreed. Respect the dam gun. Use all safety measures.* Enforce the laws we have in the books!

*If someone hands you a gun, say "got it" after s/he hands you it, and you check to make sure that gun is empty. If the owner empties the bullets in front of you, still check to see if it's empty once in your possession. Even something as simple as that prevents some deaths, I am sure. Lock up your friggin' guns. Take safety classes. All that.
      I **** friends off because they'll clear a weapon in front of me, hand it to me, and I can't stop myself from clearing it.
      "But I cleared it for you."
      "Yup. You cleared it. Now it's my responsibility so I'm clearing it."
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I would start a new liberal program that gives every man, and woman when they turn 18 their own gun. Then I'd have a mandatory gun safety class in our public schools at every grade level. Mental stability would be irrelevant. Bad guys always have guns so now the good guys would all have them too.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

California, Oregon, and Colorado have some of the toughest state level gun laws out there, already including the Exec Order provisions of yesterday. Last three mass shootings in US?
          San Bernadino, Umpqua Comm College, Colorado Springs.
          There aren't any states that have tough gun laws, syrup is harder that water but I wouldn't call it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            I would start a new liberal program that gives every man, and woman when they turn 18 their own gun. Then I'd have a mandatory gun safety class in our public schools at every grade level. Mental stability would be irrelevant. Bad guys always have guns so now the good guys would all have them too.
            The way to get gun control is for every black male in the US to buy the most powerful gun he can brandish around in his state. The NRA would love it (they're not your pals, conservatives, they're just another greedy business lobby). The people who push for a "well armed society" now would magically see the light.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              The way to get gun control is for every male in the US to buy the most powerful gun he can brandish around in his state. The NRA would love it (they're not your pals, conservatives, they're just another greedy business lobby). The people who push for a "well armed society" now would magically see the light.
              Isn't this what we've already been trying for the last 200 years? (minus the race-baiting qualifier; obviously the white dudes are pretty thoroughly armed also)
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                The way to get gun control is for every black male in the US to buy the most powerful gun he can brandish around in his state. The NRA would love it (they're not your pals, conservatives, they're just another greedy business lobby). The people who push for a "well armed society" now would magically see the light.
                I'm quite sure brandishing a weapon is illegal in every state. (Look up the definition of brandishing; I had to for my ND Class I concealed carry license.)

Now, some (actually very few) states allow open carry. I think that's what you really propose. Go for it there. Otherwise, what you propose (brandishing) is quite illegal today.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I'm quite sure brandishing a weapon is illegal in every state. (Look up the definition of brandishing; I had to for my ND Class I concealed carry license.)

Now, some (actually very few) states allow open carry. I think that's what you really propose. Go for it there. Otherwise, what you propose (brandishing) is quite illegal today.
                  And by very few, you mean most. 32 (including Texas) allow it unrestricted, and 13 more allow it with permits. 5 do not.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    And by very few, you mean most. 32 (including Texas) allow it unrestricted, and 13 more allow it with permits. 5 do not.
                    I stand corrected, but you must also.
                    I only count 25 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_c..._United_States

Many will cite you for disorderly conduct depending on where you are if you open carry. And then many have additional criteria for "in vehicle" which just clouds and complicates the matter.

That's why I carry concealed (legally). (I don't stay up on open carry for that very reason.)

But to Kep's, and my, point: Don't brandish, open carry legally. I have no issue with that.
                    Last edited by The Sicatoka; 01-06-2016, 12:08 PM.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I stand corrected, but you must also.
                      I only count 25 here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_c..._United_States

Many will cite you for disorderly conduct depending on where you are if you open carry. And then many have additional criteria for "in vehicle" which just clouds and complicates the matter.

That's why I carry concealed (legally). (I don't stay up on open carry for that very reason.)

But to Kep's, and my, point: Don't brandish, open carry legally. I have no issue with that.
                      I pulled mine from here (then adding Texas to the open carry column), and while I view the WSJ with heavy skepticism, I generally trust it to be right on things like gun rights:

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/map-whe...ry-legal-1715/

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        Is this true?
                        Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        I'm not sure this is necessarily true.

I suspect that if you check statistics on a per capita number of deaths involving firearms, you would see less populated, more rural states like Alaska, Montana, the Dakotas, etc..., lead the way, and they also have less restrictive gun control laws, generally. But you have one shooting in North Dakota where 5 people get killed, that state can move up the charts from the mid-30's to the top 5 simply because there aren't any people in the state. You also have to be careful on those numbers as to whether they include accidental gun deaths. There are certainly many more of those in states where more hunting occurs.

The states that consistently receive high marks for strict gun control are places like California, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc... But their gun control laws certainly didn't prevent Sandy Hook, San Bernardino or similar high profile shootings from occurring within their borders.
                        Yes there is a relationship between gun control and gun deaths...based on state laws. Here's one that shows that stronger gun laws are correlated with fewer gun deaths.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...er_deaths.html

Here's another that shows that gun ownership is correlated with more gun deaths. Chart is at the bottom of the article.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...y-one-in-three
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Well that's why I said "...in his state."

BTW, I didn't know "brandishing" had a specific legal definition. That's great!

To my point: it's all fun and games while the gun nuts are all pale faces, but it takes on a different... hue... when other colors get involved. TX is open carry, now. Let's have every Muslim in the state (that's 100k!) legally open carry, with turban and hijab, naturally. I'm sure the Usual Suspects would treat them as freedom-loving Americans.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 01-06-2016, 12:54 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I know it'll be dismissed out of hand by some on here due to the source, but if we're bringing in Slate as a resource in the discussion, we might as well bring in a contradicting view:
                            https://reason.com/archives/2016/01/...an-you-think-a

Comment

Hey, I'm all for blacks and females to have a firearm to protect themselves. Taking that direct personal action shows to me a realization of the need to self-defend.

And they are.

http://www.naturalnews.com/050701_co...f-defense.html

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Some wag said on the ATF web site:

"So, say I am a Federal Agency and sell a bunch of guns to Mexican cartels, do I needs a federal firearms license?"
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X