Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gun Control 1: Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    This is also interesting. Apparently, if I read this correctly, the WH announced a whole lot of nothing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-be-unlawful/
    That's pretty much it. Enforce the laws we have, and get more mental health checks (the latter is good, and not a whole lot of nothing, IMO).
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      Will these moves* really make a difference?
      When was the last time a criminal used a "mentally deficient" person's ID to purchase a weapon? And was that weapon used to commit a crime?

These "actions" sound wonderful and make for great sound bites, but will they make an iota of difference?

*I won't question if they are an end-run around Congress or extra-Constitutional.
      So lets not do anything...brilliant plan!

And can we not let the mental health aspect of this cloud the actual issue. Not everyone who kills using a gun is mentally ill. (no matter how much the media likes to pretend they are) This new talking point about mental health is a convenient excuse to go after one group as an almost scapegoat for everyone else.
      Last edited by Handyman; 01-05-2016, 11:57 PM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Goodbye to the USA. Hello, eternal slavery.
        Still waiting Fraudy...wasnt Jade Helm supposed to enslave us all?

My lord you cant even do your schtick right
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

And can we not let the mental health aspect of this cloud the actual issue. Not everyone who kills using a gun is mentally ill.
          It's part of the issue. I'd say the biggest part of the issue is irresponsible gun owners. "Found on counter," "got from under bed," etc etc. That infuriates me more than how a mentally ill person got a gun.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            It's part of the issue. I'd say the biggest part of the issue is irresponsible gun owners. "Found on counter," "got from under bed," etc etc. That infuriates me more than how a mentally ill person got a gun.
            Exactly. Notice though that isnt the pet issue...now it is always how we need to keep guns away from the crazies not educate the people who have guns so they dont do anything dangerous.

We need to fix all the holes, not just the one that is the most convenient.
            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Exactly. Notice though that isnt the pet issue...now it is always how we need to keep guns away from the crazies not educate the people who have guns so they dont do anything dangerous.

We need to fix all the holes, not just the one that is the most convenient.
              Agreed. Respect the dam gun. Use all safety measures.* Enforce the laws we have in the books!

*If someone hands you a gun, say "got it" after s/he hands you it, and you check to make sure that gun is empty. If the owner empties the bullets in front of you, still check to see if it's empty once in your possession. Even something as simple as that prevents some deaths, I am sure. Lock up your friggin' guns. Take safety classes. All that.

Comment

Agreed. Respect the dam gun. Use all safety measures.* Enforce the laws we have in the books!

*If someone hands you a gun, say "got it" after s/he hands you it, and you check to make sure that gun is empty. If the owner empties the bullets in front of you, still check to see if it's empty once in your possession. Even something as simple as that prevents some deaths, I am sure. Lock up your friggin' guns. Take safety classes. All that.
                1. All guns are ALWAYS loaded. Treat every gun as though it is loaded even if you know it isn't.
                2. Do not point the gun at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.
                3. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on target and you have made the decision that you're going to shoot.
                4. Be sure of your target AND what is behind it.
                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Doesn't congress have to fund this, is there any money?
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

And can we not let the mental health aspect of this cloud the actual issue. Not everyone who kills using a gun is mentally ill. (no matter how much the media likes to pretend they are) This new talking point about mental health is a convenient excuse to go after one group as an almost scapegoat for everyone else.
                    I agree in part regarding the mental health aspect.

However, I notice Hill the Annointed One was on tv last night commenting on Obama's action, taking credit for it, and repeating the claim that 30,000 people die each year in this country as a result of "gun violence." But again, as has been pointed out here time and time again, two thirds of those are suicides. There are probably some mental health issues involved there.

If we assume at least some portion of the third of the deaths that involve one person shooting another also involve someone with mental illness, that is in fact a pretty sizable part of the gun death problem (maybe 70% plus?).
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Correct. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed by perfectly sane individuals who acted deliberately and stupidly, often with malice aforethought. Such people should always be held accountable for any actions they commit while behind the trigger.

This. Most people aren't living in a neighborhood that requires them to sleep with a loaded gun under the bed. Lock up your weapons when you aren't using them. That goes x1000 if you have kids in the house - and you should be held responsible if a minor shoots him/herself or someone else with a projectile weapon you left unsecured.

I remember years ago my dad was furious when he figured out I had been dicking around with his bow trigger release when he wasn't in the room. And that thing is useless without the bow itself.

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        We have already seen a high correlation between states with more gun control and lower gun related death rates.
                        Is this true?
                        Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                        USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          If we assume at least some portion of the third of the deaths that involve one person shooting another also involve someone with mental illness, that is in fact a pretty sizable part of the gun death problem (maybe 70% plus?).

Based on my experience, I would put it to you that the largest portion involves bad guys shooting innocent people or other bad guys, not mentally ill people shooting others.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                            Based on my experience, I would put it to you that the largest portion involves bad guys shooting innocent people or other bad guys, not mentally ill people shooting others.
                            Sure, of the third that are actually one person shooting another, I don't doubt that. My point is that 2/3 are just someone shooting themselves, and I suspect that in many of those cases there is some form of mental issue going on, whether it's depression, etc...
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

This is 1000% the biggest battle we face with guns... Always has been, always will be... That whole "Common Sense ain't so common" thing gets in the way a lot here in 'Murica...
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                Is this true?
                                I'm not sure this is necessarily true.

I suspect that if you check statistics on a per capita number of deaths involving firearms, you would see less populated, more rural states like Alaska, Montana, the Dakotas, etc..., lead the way, and they also have less restrictive gun control laws, generally. But you have one shooting in North Dakota where 5 people get killed, that state can move up the charts from the mid-30's to the top 5 simply because there aren't any people in the state. You also have to be careful on those numbers as to whether they include accidental gun deaths. There are certainly many more of those in states where more hunting occurs.

The states that consistently receive high marks for strict gun control are places like California, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Illinois, Pennsylvania, etc... But their gun control laws certainly didn't prevent Sandy Hook, San Bernardino or similar high profile shootings from occurring within their borders.

Comment

Working...
                                X