Ohio State vs Minnesota-Duluth 12/11 - 12/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs Minnesota-Duluth 12/11 - 12/12

Ohio State had the past weekend off after traveling to Burlington, VT, for the Windjammer Classic over Thanksgiving Weekend. The Buckeyes didn't win both games, but they did get a win over the host team Vermont before dropping a 5-3 game to Boston University. Ohio State's record stands at 6-10 at this point, 3-9 in the WCHA. With only 9 points, the Buckeyes are setting in 7th place in the WCHA at this time. Minnesota-Duluth is one spot better at 4-7-1 (13 pts) and 7-10-1 overall. This has been a competitive series in recent years, which includes the teams meeting in the playoffs a couple times. This is clearly a year where Ohio State is building a foundation. We have a new coach and as fans, we need to trust the process. Jenny Potter obviously knows what it takes to win, and I am going to just enjoy the process. For those attending, Friday's game starts at 7:07 pm EST, and Saturday's game starts at 4:07 pm EST. For those interested, there will be a 'Skate With The Team' after Saturday's game. UMD fans, you are dealing with a new coaching staff and your team learning new systems, etc.. Tell us about your season, outlook, players to watch. For those visiting, have a safe trip. Good luck to both teams and hopefully we have an injury-free series.

Re: Ohio State vs Minnesota-Duluth 12/11 - 12/12

And, of course, Coach Potter is a UMD alum.

For all the reasons you mention, all of us should have this series circled on the calendar.

Comment

I am bringing the skates for this one because according to the promotions calendar, it's the only Skate With The Team they are having this season. I actually forgot about Coach Potter being a UMD alum. That should spice things up for this series!

Comment

Can't add much about the 'Dogs since I haven't been able to watch them much this season yet...but hoping to change that in Jan-Feb.

I would say watch for Brykaliuk, Stalder and Cava the team's top point getters in that order. Cava seems to have found another gear this season and has really stood out at times. (She seems to have impressed T-Cubed when they ventured out east in October which they've done several times in the last 6 years or so). She also has the best +/- on the team. Hoping Rooney is minding the net for the series...it would give you a new variable to consider in these usually closely contested series and she would also be someone to watch. Impressive technicals from what I've seen.

These two teams have been pretty evenly matched for the last few years duking it out for the middle of the WCHA standings but presently they are hovering over the basement. The 'Dogs have played some disappointing games this season but new coach, systems and many (7) fresh faces so maybe things will start gelling in the second half of the season.

Just noticed you have 10 Canadians on your team! Adding stealth to your recruiting arsenal...you're halfway to overtaking Clarkson!

Did I see you post previously that Jincy Dunne has a concussion and is out indefinitely? Would sure like to see her play.

Good luck this weekend.
        Last edited by Blackbeard; 12-10-2015, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
          Can't add much about the 'Dogs since I haven't been able to watch them much this season yet...but hoping to change that in Jan-Feb.

I would say watch for Brykaliuk, Stalder and Cava the team's top point getters in that order. Cava seems to have found another gear this season and has really stood out at times. (She seems to have impressed T-Cubed when they ventured out east in October which they've done several times in the last 6 years or so). She also has the best +/- on the team. Hoping Rooney is minding the net for the series...it would give you a new variable to consider in these usually closely contested series and she would also be someone to watch. Impressive technicals from what I've seen.

These two teams have been pretty evenly matched for the last few years duking it out for the middle of the WCHA standings but presently they are hovering over the basement. The 'Dogs have played some disappointing games this season but new coach, systems and many (7) fresh faces so maybe things will start gelling in the second half of the season.

Just noticed you have 10 Canadians on your team! Adding stealth to your recruiting arsenal...you're halfway to overtaking Clarkson!

Did I see you post previously that Jincy Dunne has a concussion and is out indefinitely? Would sure like to see her play.

Good luck this weekend.
          OSU is a great option for Canadians. Close enough to drive to for weekend games and you get to play in the WCHA. It is becoming a great option for many. As for the weekend, edge goes to UMD, goal scoring and goaltending will make the difference. As always, I expect close games as is always the case between these 2 teams.

Comment

Good luck this weekend.
            Balckbeard, yes, that is correct, Jincy is dealing with concussion issues and it's not known yet when she will be able to get back on the ice. Us Ohio State fans would sure like to see her play, too! You mentioned another netminder (Rooney). Has she overtaken Kayla Black as your starter? We have brought in some more Canadians, as you noticed. I am fine with that even though I know we are just training them to come back and haunt us in the Olympics (LOL)! It's all good as it gives me another reason to visit the GTA to cheer on the former Buckeyes who continue their hockey in the CWHL. In regard to our teams, the positioning of our them in 6th and 7th place is probably not where either of us expected to be, but we are in the same boat as you ... new coach, new systems, and six freshmen. As is the case with your Bulldogs, I think we will do much better in the second half of this season. We had some rough games against Minnesota and Wisconsin, but other than those two, we have been competitive with the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              OSU is a great option for Canadians. Close enough to drive to for weekend games and you get to play in the WCHA. It is becoming a great option for many. As for the weekend, edge goes to UMD, goal scoring and goaltending will make the difference. As always, I expect close games as is always the case between these 2 teams.
              Thankfully, we have always been able to get some Canadian girls to come here and play, and it's not a bad drive, at least from the GTA or other areas of Ontario. The educational options (talking about programs/majors) and the resources here take a backseat to no one. The only thing I would like to see improve here would be the facilities, but I won't get on my soapbox about that now. I tend to agree with you that UMD may have an edge, but I think our girls can get points. I will be disappointed for them if they don't get rewarded for all the hard work they have been putting in this season. We'll see what happens. I cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                Thankfully, we have always been able to get some Canadian girls to come here and play, and it's not a bad drive, at least from the GTA or other areas of Ontario. The educational options (talking about programs/majors) and the resources here take a backseat to no one. The only thing I would like to see improve here would be the facilities, but I won't get on my soapbox about that now. I tend to agree with you that UMD may have an edge, but I think our girls can get points. I will be disappointed for them if they don't get rewarded for all the hard work they have been putting in this season. We'll see what happens. I cannot wait to get to the OSU Ice Rink this weekend!
                Thanks. I have seen the Bucks play a few away games and have to admit that their intensity level is exceptional. They will be a team to contend with in a few years. They have solid young talent and a coach who has them playing intense and exciting hockey. Good luck this weekend but my prediction stands!

Comment

Originally posted by puckdrop14 View Post
                  thanks. I have seen the bucks play a few away games and have to admit that their intensity level is exceptional. They will be a team to contend with in a few years. They have solid young talent and a coach who has them playing intense and exciting hockey. Good luck this weekend but my prediction stands!
                  Thanks. Good luck to you as well.

Comment

You mentioned another netminder (Rooney). Has she overtaken Kayla Black as your starter?
                    Looks that way...she's played about 60% more minutes than Black has.

Comment

Looks that way...she's played about 60% more minutes than Black has.
                      Did Black not start the last two and do very well after a couple of so so outings by Rooney? It will be interesting to see who starts this evening. My guess would be Black.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                        Did Black not start the last two and do very well after a couple of so so outings by Rooney? It will be interesting to see who starts this evening. My guess would be Black.
                        She got the last one but I don't think the one before that.

Looks like Rooney got the start tonight.

UMD 4 - OSU 2 Final.

Comment

The Three Stars for the Friday game are now posted in the WCHA thread.

Comment

Pgb, thank you. I'll check that out! Not a whole lot to say. It's getting to be a broken record. We stick with teams for two periods, then don't finish in the third period. With the exception of the series vs Minnesota and Wisconsin, we have been in these games. We just have not found a way to pull them out. I feel for the kids and the coaches and I am running out of things to say to them after the games. It will be nice to see them eventually get rewarded for all the hard work they put in. Tomorrow is another day, another shot at getting a win and points. Game time is 4:07 pm and there is a Skate With The Team afterward. It was a valiant effort tonight against a team that I believe is much better than their record and spot in the WCHA standings. The Bucks' goals were scored by senior forward Melani Moylan and sophomore forward Lauren Spring. Sophomore goaltender Alex LaMere had 19 saves for Ohio State. UMD's goals were scored by Sidney Morin, Catherine Daoust, and Ashleigh Brykaliuk. The two teams are back at it tomorrow.

Comment

...Not a whole lot to say. It's getting to be a broken record. We stick with teams for two periods, then don't finish in the third period. With the exception of the series vs Minnesota and Wisconsin, we have been in these games. We just have not found a way to pull them out. I feel for the kids and the coaches and I am running out of things to say to them after the games. It will be nice to see them eventually get rewarded for all the hard work they put in.
                              Indeed. Logically speaking, we know that when new coach is brought in to reinvent the program, it's likely to be one step back before taking two steps forward. But the Women's WCHA is just so tough. When you take that one step back, the other teams will expose your weaknesses quickly. Not that the players or coaches will take much solace in this, but we are 3-1 in non-conference play.

Another angle is that while the top players in the league know how win at this level, we're still learning. Toward the end of yesterday's game, Lara Stalder had one of the larger brain cramps you'll ever see on a hockey rink. With a 2 on Empty Net breakaway, she went into mosey mode, apparently pondering how to finish in a stylish way. The lazy contemplation allowed a Buckeye to catch up and break up the play. With only a one goal lead, the error might have been incredibly costly. But did Lara melt down or panic in any way? Of course not. Thirty seconds later her lob clearing pass led directly to empty-netter that closed out the Bulldog victory.

We're not quite that resilient just yet. But this afternoon would be a great time for a breakthrough game. Here's to hoping.

Comment

Working...
                              X