Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the problem!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
    things can make players tentative/afraid to make mistakes, just compounding this issue.
    I'd suggest at this point a much larger factor is that you have a Wisconsin Hockey team that didn't win last year and isn't closing out games this year. These kids don't live in a vacuum. They know how important it is to win at Wisconsin. They know the staff is under the gun. They know fans have abandoned them in droves. They see what is said about them online, including here. They want to win for themselves, which is more than enough pressure for any team. But they also are carrying around the entire weight of the whole storied Wisconsin Hockey program and the weight of the expectations of tremendously dissatisfied fans. It probably gets a little heavy by the third period.

Quick turnaround with the puck drop at 1:30 CT. They aren't playing terrible, and for stretches are really playing very good. But invidually they are having breakdowns and not finishing on both ends. Offensively they hit a couple of pipes in the third, and Besse, Kunin, and Johnson all had wide open looks more than once. But they have to finish in those situations. (on the flip side a fourth line senior with one career goal looks like Sid Crosby on his only chance) Davison, Linhart, Wittchow, all made great plays in the game, but also didn't make plays that led directly to goals.

I hope Soleway is hurt, because he looked terrible most of the night. Jurusic again made some good plays, and some terrible ones.

Missing Hughes especially shows, but they have enough to win. Individuals just have to make plays in critical situations. Bounce back boys. Go Red.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey XXXVI: Stop looking for the silver lining and ignoring the probl

Quick turnaround for the game today. Finish a game at 9-10PM last night and drop the puck at 1:30PM the next day. I know the guys are used to quick turnarounds from tournament hockey, but that seems a little quick. Anyone know the reason? Basketball interference?

Comment

Originally posted by IndianaBadger1995 View Post
        Thinking we are gonna do something we haven't done in a long time this weekend
        How right you were!
        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by srkbadger View Post
          Getting a sweep? No, that can't be it. Holding the lead? Nope. I give up.
          We already have a sweep this year. I'll give you hints for what I meant: it happened today, the result was no teddy bears were thrown, and the last time it happened was January 3rd, 2015.
          Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
          How right you were!
          Feels good!
          Last edited by IndianaBadger1995; 12-12-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Long player meeting Friday night after the loss. Guys were called on the carpet and they held themselves and each other accountable. Results were the most complete effort of the year, as the Badgers dominated play from start to finish. Nice win going into the break and could be a a basis for turning things around the second half.

Defenseman as a group and individually played really well. I thought Linhart's 0-0-0 +/- 0 was beautiful. He played his *** off every shift, fought off bigger, stronger F's and didn't give an inch. Who knew Davison could play D? He took the body on a number of rushes and rode guys off the puck like he's been doing it his whole life. (He hasn't.) The Captains led, Jake Bunz sucked up some good solid minutes and made a case for himself going forward. Jurusic was out on top challenging and looked calm and confident the whole way and handled the puck very well. Perfect again on the PK. These guys earned that shutout.

On the other end, Besse and Kunin's big shots weren't going so they just worked and worked until something had to give. One of Besse's best games I thought. Seamus does just about everything the right way. Just about everyone of the F's had moments where they made the plays, instead of giving them up. I'd said Jed looked hurt because he looked terrible Friday. Turns out he is, and just gutted it out on the third line all weekend. Just a solid job from a number of guys who had to step up and contribute more especially in light of Hughes and Rockwood being out.

Time to get iced up and get healthy. Where this Badger season is going remains in doubt. If the boys can give that kind of effort and the same smart play every night the rest of the way, they'll have a chance to make something of it yet.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Long player meeting Friday night after the loss. Guys were called on the carpet and they held themselves and each other accountable. Results were the most complete effort of the year, as the Badgers dominated play from start to finish. Nice win going into the break and could be a a basis for turning things around the second half.

Defenseman as a group and individually played really well. I thought Linhart's 0-0-0 +/- 0 was beautiful. He played his *** off every shift, fought off bigger, stronger F's and didn't give an inch. Who knew Davison could play D? He took the body on a number of rushes and rode guys off the puck like he's been doing it his whole life. (He hasn't.) The Captains led, Jake Bunz sucked up some good solid minutes and made a case for himself going forward. Jurusic was out on top challenging and looked calm and confident the whole way and handled the puck very well. Perfect again on the PK. These guys earned that shutout.

On the other end, Besse and Kunin's big shots weren't going so they just worked and worked until something had to give. One of Besse's best games I thought. Seamus does just about everything the right way. Just about everyone of the F's had moments where they made the plays, instead of giving them up. I'd said Jed looked hurt because he looked terrible Friday. Turns out he is, and just gutted it out on the third line all weekend. Just a solid job from a number of guys who had to step up and contribute more especially in light of Hughes and Rockwood being out.

Time to get iced up and get healthy. Where this Badger season is going remains in doubt. If the boys can give that kind of effort and the same smart play every night the rest of the way, they'll have a chance to make something of it yet.
              Let's not get ahead of ourselves, they beat a bad team 3-0. I've seen to many collapses the last few years even in the playoffs year a couple years back to have any faith a corner of some sort was turned.

Player meeting as the coach isn't leading? Got it.

BTW, how do you and kamigo the two appeasers have so much inside information?
              Last edited by WiscTJK; 12-13-2015, 03:24 PM.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

I will admit I was p/o'ed after Friday's game (who wasn't?). Hold a freaking lead already, will you? Sexton specifically had a terrible game on 2 of the goals, the last one was horrific. Great bounce-back win after the team meeting. Too bad they have to wait 3 months for the next game. All momentum will be dead.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                  Let's not get ahead of ourselves, they beat a bad team 3-0. I've seen to many collapses the last few years even in the playoffs year a couple years back to have any faith a corner of some sort was turned.

Player meeting as the coach isn't leading? Got it.

Teams have players only meetings all the time. The stretches people go to take shots at Eaves is getting outrageous. The credibility of the argument gets diminished when it becomes nit-picking.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    I can't speak for anyone else, but here is what I've done...

As a season ticket holder, I got an e-mail a few years ago about joining the Fan Advisory Council/Committee/whatever else they want to call it. I put in an application the first year and wasn't chosen. I put in an application the second year and was chosen. It isn't anything unique, every season ticket holder should have gotten the same information that I did.

Recently I sent a constructive e-mail to the administration pointing out what I thought were some lacking areas and what I thought could be done to help. I was extended an invitation to meet with 2 (lower) members of the team to discuss my ideas. Some of the things that I had brought up were already in their plans, some had been discussed and dismissed for reasons that I hadn't thought of, and some were new ideas that they were interested in. I have continued to maintain contact with these individuals via e-mail.
                    One example that I had brought up was to have a promotion where there are drastically discounted tickets for a game/weekend. My point being that getting more people into the building is necessary to create the environment. Their response was that they get backlash from season ticket holders who get upset when someone gets a better deal than them. We have seen evidence of that mentality on this board recently. Personally, I don't care what someone else paid to get into the game. I picked my method and paid my price, anyone else is welcome to find their method and pay their price; I just want to see butts in the seats.

I can tell you that the one common thread with both of these situations is that I didn't go into it with a "this is the worst thing ever and you need to tear it down and start over" mentality. For those of you that have that mentality, I doubt that would get you much further in your discussions with the administration than where you already are; which is yelling at a message board and sending grumpy e-mails to JK and getting even grumpier when you don't like his response.

If all you are looking for is a way to vent and get your frustrations out, then continue to rant on the message boards and send grumpy e-mails. If you want to become part of a conversation, then try to start a conversation. I can promise you that the people in Kellner Hall are very aware of the situations and that at least the people that I talked to are looking for ways to do everything within their powers to make things better.

I hope that helps spread some light on the situation, from my end at least.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                      I can't speak for anyone else, but here is what I've done...

As a season ticket holder, I got an e-mail a few years ago about joining the Fan Advisory Council/Committee/whatever else they want to call it. I put in an application the first year and wasn't chosen. I put in an application the second year and was chosen. It isn't anything unique, every season ticket holder should have gotten the same information that I did.

Recently I sent a constructive e-mail to the administration pointing out what I thought were some lacking areas and what I thought could be done to help. I was extended an invitation to meet with 2 (lower) members of the team to discuss my ideas. Some of the things that I had brought up were already in their plans, some had been discussed and dismissed for reasons that I hadn't thought of, and some were new ideas that they were interested in. I have continued to maintain contact with these individuals via e-mail.
                      One example that I had brought up was to have a promotion where there are drastically discounted tickets for a game/weekend. My point being that getting more people into the building is necessary to create the environment. Their response was that they get backlash from season ticket holders who get upset when someone gets a better deal than them. We have seen evidence of that mentality on this board recently. Personally, I don't care what someone else paid to get into the game. I picked my method and paid my price, anyone else is welcome to find their method and pay their price; I just want to see butts in the seats.

I can tell you that the one common thread with both of these situations is that I didn't go into it with a "this is the worst thing ever and you need to tear it down and start over" mentality. For those of you that have that mentality, I doubt that would get you much further in your discussions with the administration than where you already are; which is yelling at a message board and sending grumpy e-mails to JK and getting even grumpier when you don't like his response.

If all you are looking for is a way to vent and get your frustrations out, then continue to rant on the message boards and send grumpy e-mails. If you want to become part of a conversation, then try to start a conversation. I can promise you that the people in Kellner Hall are very aware of the situations and that at least the people that I talked to are looking for ways to do everything within their powers to make things better.

I hope that helps spread some light on the situation, from my end at least.
                      I appreciate your response. I applied the first year, but given my emails to the AD and my season ticket holder end of season reviews, I figured I wouldn't get picked, and I was right. I wasn't even offered for year two, or three however many we are on. I probably wouldn't be the best one to be part of that program, anyway for the reasons stated above and my disdain for the AD in general when I have offered comment, and didn't particularly care for the answers (banner gate, concessions, etc.).

And yes, I use this forum to vent, as those not so closely tied to the program, don't necessarily know everything that is going on when I talk to them.

But I am still with the program, as I went to my son's wrestling meet on Friday, I put on I-heart and listened to the game, looking like a goof in the stands. I also listened to most of Saturdays, with a switch between that and the BB game towards the end of that game. And when I go to the games, I listen to Brian's radio call in the kohl center on 88.1 FM and I am really glad they have kept that going, which is great, as is Brian.

I am just not with Eaves....
                      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Well... I see a few names on this list that might make Coach Eaves wince a little bit.

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...nt-camp-roster
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          Well... I see a few names on this list that might make Coach Eaves wince a little bit.

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/pa...nt-camp-roster
                          Boeser is a true finisher. It's been a long time since UND had a sniper like him.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Boeser is a true finisher. It's been a long time since UND had a sniper like him.
                            Gee, Thanks.

Comment

Opilka... Schmaltz, if you stretch the imagination (and the story of recruiting his brother) a bit... Whatever cold chance in hell might've gotten us Dvorak...
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                                Gee, Thanks.
                                Hey, UND lost the Potulny brothers from Grand Forks to the gophers and had to watch them lead the gophs to back-to-back titles. To see the Gophers win a title is a painful thing. To help them win it with one of your own is the ultimate sin.

Comment

Working...
                                X